Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. street legal

street legal Senior Member

'69 is one of my favorite sets. Love "The Man" & "The Journey". Enjoy!

Six Bachelors and andrewskyDE like this.
  2. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

The instrumental on the 4T comp reel is Take 7 of an untitled Syd original recorded September 11 at Sound Techniques - 90 seconds of this have circulated in poor quality as 'Sunshine'. More on this shortly..

3. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Best possible answer so far, thank you...!

4. Chris M

True, the Piper session tapes are in the great tape vault in the sky but there are radically different, fully realised, *unheard* early versions of Lucifer Sam and Bike (both RM1) that survive in perfect quality. Both every inch as revelatory as the early Matilda Mother. I mean, Bike has alternate vocals with different lyics(!), Lucifer Sam has more in common with 1977 than 1967.

Add first time stereo mixes of Arnold Layne/Candy and a Currant Bun as well as the alternate mix(es) of See Emily Plan from a tape source and there may be enough to justify another reissue.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2017
  5. anth67

:edthumbs:

One of the 90's books (Povey's or maybe Lost in the Woods?) noted mixdowns of a Chapter 24 alternate take 5 & the full-length Interstellar pre-overdub (a la French EP) still being in existence. Any idea if they really are?

6. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

And what about the other two tracks that were recorded at the 'Arnold Layne'/'Candy And A Currant Bun' sessions?
    Reportedly there were versions of 'Chapter 24' and 'Matilda Mother' recorded at Sound Techniques in early 1967. Does Joe Boyd own these tapes?

7. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

In all my years I've never heard that...

8. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Because it never happened in the first place

Nick Dunning likes this.
  9. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Wikipedia says:
    If that is a wrong fact could someone delete parts of that sentence there then?

Nick Dunning likes this.
  10. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I expected at least a Saucerful set. Not unrealistic, as Nick Mason said back then that Scream Thy Last Scream and Vegetable Man were left off because they belong to the Saucerful sessions. But nothing came of it, sadly.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  11. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I've heard that the rights for the film soundtrack are with someone else (hence no soundtrack material on the Wall Immersion box - shame), and I understand that What Shall We Do Now heard in the film is the original track recorded for The Wall. Don't remember where I read it, though. Anyone who does, please chime in.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  12. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I heard that the actual mastertapes of the film's music (without the sound effects of the film) are lost, hope this isn't true and can be located.
    There's a (very recommendable!) website about the Wall album which was made by one of the forum members here.
    Many fact(s) as the song 'What Shall We Do Now?' can be read there: http://thewallcomplete.com

13. Chris M

Definitely still in existance. These are rough mixes done by Norman Smith the day after their second EMI session.

Interstellar runs for 10:20 (much longer than the LP) and contains the original, unheard ending of the performance as it predates the edit piece recorded in June. This rough mix contains around 2 minutes of unhead material from one of the most important PF sessions - they broke 4 mics recording Interstellar Overdrive that night(!)..

Chapter 24 take 5 is probably a bare bones backing track of an unused take. It was the temporary 'best' take before they recorded the remake (take 6) at the next session.

14. anth67

So there's still some stuff.... Thanks:tiphat:

15. Chris M

Definitely. Most of it more interesting than what was used on the Early Years. The 'Syd version' of Jugband Blues, the one he wanted to use, is up there with take 1 of Strawberry Fields and the Cantina version of Heroes and Villains.

ceddy10165, ash1, DeadParrot and 6 others like this.
  16. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

But is there any chance we will see this released sometime? Maybe next century?^^

17. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Does Amazon deliver products to Limbo?

Max2max likes this.
  18. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

They deliver to Scotty and he beams it to us.

19. surfling

surfling Forum Resident

speaking of amazon -
    in germany they have the full "early years" box listed for 279.- euros right now!

i guess it did not sell all that well after all?

LonesomeDayBlues likes this.
  20. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

What I was thinking? I can ask Syd himself to play the song for me in the afterlife! What do I need an alternate take for?

21. central616

central616 Forum Resident

I have serious doubt on the existence of the "Syd version" of Jugband Blues. I mean, the "play whatever you want" part is already in the album mix. Also, the version played at BBC is almost identical to the studio one. If Syd prefered his hypotetical own version of the song, why they didn't play that live?

22. ottoman79

ottoman79 Forum Resident

I am pretty sure the album version is scripted by N.Smith. I don't have information as to whether the original exists or not though.

23. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Spent some time listening to the Meddle 5.1 over the weekend.

Yes, the high end is more excitable than necessary but it didn’t bother me. I actually really like the mix. It makes a lot of use of the rear speakers. Parts of the performance that warrant highlighting are highlighted. Perhaps some moments are too highlighted with jarring volume jumps but the experience is immersive. It is never boring.

Quite maddening that this is not readily available for all (and wasn’t meant to be on the original ‘71 at all) but the exhausting Pompeii mixes are easily obtained. Surely Roger would have approved this and the OBC surround mixes if he approved the Pompeii stuff.

What a pity.

24. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I still find it strange that Early Years is cd only (no vinyl, except for the 5 singles and the earlier '1965' EP of course) while Interstellar Overdrive '66 for RSD is vinyl-only and doesn't even offer a download card.

25. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

...or that the source of the recording on the RSD record isn’t credited.

To your point, I suspect they don’t want a physical version of Early Years that omits half the material on it - the visual footage.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.