Jimi Hendrix - Let's Talk About How We Would Have Put Together His Posthumous Albums!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Dec 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

There's more cover songs and the BG tape has songs that nobody has ever heard. The 11/69 birthday jam tape is also very tantalizing.

Hep Alien likes this.
  3. Wayne Hubbard

"New" songs yes. There are some interesting jams listed in the book that have not been released. I do have
    a feeling at some point EH will have to start correcting some mistakes they have made in the past and redo
    the whole catalog. Filling in the gaps with stuff the didn't originally have access to. They just recently got
    the PPX recordings. Not sure their relationship with Lonnie Youngblood, But, they have started to release
    some of that material again. I think they only got Chas's stuff after he died. Also, the BOG live multi-tracks
    from Paul Allen.

I think the pre-Experience and 66-67 Experience tracks would be the easiest to compile in a coherent way.
    After that it it starts getting messy with all the group configurations, home recordings and one-off jam
    sessions. There are only a few more lives shows that were properly recorded to release.

I hope they are watching Neil Young's archive project. Although there seem to be fans already not
    satisfied with that. I feel EH has always had a disadvantage. Since so much of Jimi's music has
    already appeared on boots. It's really hard for them to come out with something that truly has never
    been heard. I understand why the are holding on to the "Black Gold" tapes.

Hep Alien likes this.
  4. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Actually, Tony Brown, who wrote the essential Hendrix - The Final Days was the one who heard the tapes and made notes. Roby merely reproduces these notes in his book. I'm not aware that he has heard any of that stuff.

5. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

And now it will get even more interesting

6. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It is highly unlikely the Black Gold tapes are going to be released in a comprehensive manner. EH rarely if ever keeps sessions together; everything is released in piecemeal fashion. And don't plan on hearing "Little Red Velvet Room" because it allegedly references Jimi's biological daughter Tamika, who really should have been his primary heir, or at the very least, shared considerably in his estate.

alchemy, Guy E, Hep Alien and 3 others like this.
  7. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Only question that comes to mind: WWJHD?

Hep Alien, Ignatius and JeffMo like this.
  8. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

No joy!

9. kelhard

kelhard Forum Resident

What about the "demo" acetate mixes of "Dream", "Dance" and "Little Miss Lover"?

Hep Alien and Pete Puma like this.
  10. paulbright81

paulbright81 Forum Resident

This is why I love this site. Great posts, I’ll be checking a lot that I’ve not heard using the deluxe edition as a context.

Hats off!!

Th

11. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

everything that has been released so far made into a 3 boxes.

like king crimson did.

make one for 1966-1968...and one for 1969...and one for 1970

in this style

12. Wayne Hubbard

It's all been about timing. EH didn't have the rights to a lot of the material when they put together the first
    disc of the West Coast Seattle box set. The PPX tracks being the biggest omission. The tracks with Lonnie
    Youngblood being another. There's also the question of whether Jimi is actually on some of the songs.
    I'm sure we will eventually get a comprehensive set. The WCSB disc could easily be stretched to two or
    three if they want to include everything.

Hep Alien and fredhammersmith like this.
  13. Wayne Hubbard

I don't know if the references to Tamika are enough to sway EH to not release it.

From Tony Brown's notes:

Jimi made songs about lots of different subjects. Including Indian warriors and Mermaids. EH can
    argue this was another song from his imagination.

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

Even though most of its already been released I would like to see all of the summer 70 mixes done by Hendrix in one place.
    They could call it Lullaby For The Summer.
    Then they could do the demos from that summer and call it Your Evil Underwear.

15. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Doesn't IOW Red House have a reference to the kid he had in Sweden?

16. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

There's also an alt version of Voodoo Chile on the Blues CD.

17. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Too late.......LOL

18. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I'm cool with the original running order, with quality reproductions of the original albums. both mono and stereo. Bonus track cool too.\

I'm tripping on this new release coming out.
    We had "Cry of love", "First rays of the new rising sun", but to me those are the only fairly real studio albums to come out. There's some stuff compiled and jam sessions, Doctored Douglass work, but I really just view this as material for Hendrix completists. So what of this upcoming release? Is it really possible it could stack up with "Cry of love" or "First rays of the new rising sun" as legitimate Hendrix albums? Hard to believe something really good got held back all this time......

That said, I do find value in all the stuff released, including the Douglass material.

Hep Alien, Brian Lux and hodgo like this.
  19. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

What about re-compiling the type of album Hendrix planned in 1970? The Black Gold one (if that was the album title)?
    With all the original mixes and stuff while he was alive. Would make it pretty authentic, only depends if tracklist ideas survived on paper.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  20. Wayne Hubbard

The new release would be more along the lines of War Heroes or Loose Ends. Most of the songs are going to
    be one take with no overdubs or any other work done on them. Also songs that have already been released from
    other sessions or different takes from the same session.

Only two songs are unique to the new release. Both Stephen Stills' tracks, $20 Fine and Woodstock. Every other
    song has been released in a alternate or edited form. If you want to focus only on songs released by Experience
    Hendrix, you can bring it up to four. Things I Used to Do and Send My Love To Linda have never been released
    by the company.

Hep Alien and BDC like this.
  21. Thanks, I knew I'd miss some songs...
    I'll update the tomorrow in hopes that a few more gaps are detected first.

Hep Alien likes this.
  22. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

Changed my mind. Would rather title the demos Paper Airplanes.

Hep Alien likes this.
  23. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

This is certainly a complicated subject. In 1970, the music business for posthumous releases was very different than it became during subsequent decades. Clearly record labels released posthumous product consisting of unreleased material, but in a much more limited way that what we see today. In fairness to Michael Jeffery and Eddie Kramer, they initially did the right thing by compiling "Cry Of Love" and "Rainbow Bridge" (not that the chosen sequencing and content for each release was perfect) because Hendrix and Jeffery had taken out sizable advances against future royalties for COY and RB and product was owed to Reprise. Furthermore, there were enough quality songs near the final stages of completion to justify the releases. In terms of what followed, it is debatable as to what was released and how it was released. And then things really got out of control with the initial Alan Douglas releases, followed by nearly 20 years of ego-driven product by Mr. Douglas. And while a couple of his releases had redeeming qualities, overall, he had a very questionable track-record to say the least.

I would answer the OP by starting in 1997, the year Experience Hendrix essentially deleted the entire pre-1997 catalogue and had a clean slate to work with so-to-speak. Initially I would have issued:

1) "Are You Experienced?," "Axis: Bold As Love," and "Electric Ladyland": remastered from the best tape sources with historically accurate and informative liner notes containing detailed session information.
    2) "Band of Gypsys": remastered with historically accurate and informative liner notes (and I will give EH, they did a fine job with this release, although it was released months after the initial batch of reissues, and I think it was important to release it with the three Experience albums because it was one of Hendrix's lifetime albums -- the original core albums in their original configurations should be in print together).
    3) "Smash Hits": an upgraded version with an expanded track-listing, the content essentially mirroring "Experience Hendrix: The Best of Jimi Hendrix." It is important to have a hits/career spanning compilation on the market for casual fans and curious consumers.
    4) "Sketches for First Rays of The New Rising Sun": a comprehensive, multi-disc box set containing all of the music Hendrix was preparing during 1970 for his 4th quarter Reprise release. This set would be designed to finally set the record straight for the project that Hendrix was working on at the time of his death by compiling a musical sequencing of all relevant and associated "First Rays" music. The set would be comprised of his nearly completed masters, work-in-progress recordings, and musical ideas and sketches in jam and demo form. A detailed, thorough, historically accurate booklet would tell the story.

After the aforementioned initial six releases in 1997, I would have followed up the subsequent 7-10 years with a number of compilations and live sets:
    • "Live At Winterland" (box set with complete concerts)
    • "BBC Sessions" (complete, without fake stereo versions)
    • "Anthology: Volume 1 [1966/1967]" (five disc set comprised of three discs of studio outtakes from DeLane Lea and Olympic for AYE and Axis, Olympia Theatre concert 10/18/66, Stockholm concert 9/5/67, Olympia Theatre concert 10/9/67)
    • "Live At Monterey" (reissue)
    • "Fillmore East 1970: The Hendrix Rough Mixes" (EH did not have access to the masters in the late 1990's, but they did have Hendrix and Kramer's working mixes, and I would have released them retitled with a caveat that they were edited, incomplete and not from the master reels)
    • "Anthology: Volume 2 [1968]" (six disc set comprised of two discs of Olympic, Sound City and Record Plant outtakes for Electric Ladyland and other projects such as Noel Redding's solo album as well as jams with Electric Flag; one disc of Hendrix apartment demos; one disc of 10/68 TTG session outtakes; Olympia Theatre 1/29/68; Winterland Ballroom concert 2/4/68 + Clark University 3/15/68.
    • "Woodstock" (complete concert)
    • "Live At Berkeley 1970" (multi-disc set with both concerts and rehearsal)
    • "In The West: The California Concerts" (Los Angeles 4/26/69 and San Diego 5/25/69)
    • "Anthology: Volume 3 [1969]" (five disc set comprised of three discs consisting of Olympic rehearsals 2/69 and outtakes from Olympic, Olmstead, and Record Plant 1-5/69; one disc of Gypsy Sun & Rainbows session work 8/69; one disc from Hit Factory and Record Plant, fall 1969)
    • "Band of Gypsys: The Studio Sessions" (four disc set comprised of two discs from 1969 studio work; one disc from Baggy's Rehearsal 12/69; one disc from 1/70 session work)
    After the initial 10 year period, other tapes would be acquired allowing for releases such "Miami Pop Festival," "Band of Gypsys: The Complete Fillmore Tapes," etc.

24. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Good idea in trying to get down to Jimi's intent, I suppose. Though I'm not sure "1st rays' can be improved upon.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  25. klaw

klaw Forum Resident

I like to listen chronological and use the dates stated in the EH releases. There are none in Rainbow Bridge though (I guess they weren't in the original). If anybody could list them it would be greatly appreciated.

Hep Alien likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.