KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Thanks! Mine is going up on the wall in my office.
    Great job.

William Smart and npgchris like this.
  2. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

3. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

William Smart and GodShifter like this.
  4. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

You better express ship that bad boy now!

William Smart and ejluther like this.
  5. Rose River Bear

As promised my take on the rest of The Elder. @npgchris

Under The Rose

Opens with an intricately picked D Minor 9th chord chord that uses the open top string and in 6/4 time. Beautiful twelve string guitar playing. The verse starts and the progression goes to D minor-C-G along with a stunning melody straight out of the British folk tradition. You can picture a street folk singer strolling down the lane singing this great tune. The chord progression is very folkish as well. The D minor 9th chord alternates between verse lines and adds fantastic suspension to the lines. At :46 the D minor 9th chord or alternatively....D minor with suspended 2nd is strummed as a turnaround. The chorus follows with a progression of D minor-E minor-F -G still very folksy. The vocals are again very folky and in the British chorale type harmony. At 1:08 a terrific theme chorus tag enters based around the verse chord progression. The turnaround of the tag goes to 7/4. Still, all of the material is very similar throughout which is square in the folk music tradition in light of some neat rhythmic variation. A power chord in the tag reminds us this is Kiss. The verse returns at 1:34 and then the chorus follows.....not much variation from the first sections arrangements. Simplicity is the name of the game here. The guitar solo is based in D minor pentatonic over the verse chord progression. Not too many blues inflections. The chorus returns at 3:42 and the melody is altered slightly at the refrain for emphasis. The chorus tag follows and a big false ending on the G chord. The D Minor 9th chord very quietly returns to bring the song home.

A great tune. Some comments on similarity to Pink Floyd. Musically, this song has more in common with Fairport Convention than Pink Floyd. I suppose some of the guitar arrangements sound like Pink Floyd but that is where the similarity ends. A fantastic take on British Folk music with heavy overtones. Brilliant song.

6. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

I’m not very happy that one of the longest contributors to this thread @dadonred got his privileges to post revoked due to, basically, nothing. He was a HUGE part of this thread being a success. I’ll probably get banned too for expressing my displeasure but so be it.

Fact is: SHMF.tv got a great thread from all of us here. Nobody deserved to get banned (well @Mr Fernando did), but come on! What a shame as this was one of the most civil and insightful discussions on this board. Too heavy handed with banning people from threads. I’m probably out too now though I put almost a year of work into this thread.

/end rant

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  7. Rose River Bear

I agree.
    In all honesty, except for maybe the Rolling Stones thread which was close, this thread has been the grandaddy of them all here on the forum.

8. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

Haha! Those look great! Thanks to @npgchris and @ejluther and thanks all for sharing a fun thread and a bit about your lives. This was fun. Thanks also to @GodShifter for consistently high standards and engaging conversations. (I apparently got a 4 day ban for insulting someone’s favorite news channel. Whatev. Live and learn. Will I get a first ban certificate or medal??)

Unfortunately, I can’t save the image, apparently a chrome bug after the last iOS upgrade. I will try to snag it from another machine,

9. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

You make an excellent point I never truly thought of until your post: yes, this thread was centrally a social posting of sorts concerning personal preferences, but all of us - under your direction - created something on the SHMF that is undeniably COLOSSAL in terms of information and sheer content regarding “the hottest band in the world.”

And what this ultimately means is when people posit internet queries for KISS info, this thread is absolutely going to pop up in the majority of searches, which in turn generates copious amounts of traffic to this site, which possesses the potential to translate into dollars - one of this site’s many ultimate goals.

Now, I’m certainly not saying we “deserve” anything necessarily - we probably do not, because we were given the forum and platform from which we all derived great pleasure (well, I did!) - but, at the very least, certain posters should be looked at as individuals and judged according, and not just as another silly “violation” per se.

10. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

Got it! It was dated Oct 11, I as looking for it in the current date.

11. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

So you were able to get a copy of the certificate? If not, let me know and I'll make sure you get one.

I never understood that whole deletion of posts related to the Gene "meltdown" incident. Did someone make a heavily pointed attack at Fox News? Because if so, I didn't see it. One of the moderators attempted to explain what had happened, but I still didn't really understand it. What I saw of the discussion was totally above board and didn't seem controversial. Although, I may have missed something inflammatory. I don't know.

In any event, I'm glad the ban was only temporary. Honestly, one of @dadonred's posts that he shared, toward the end of the discussion, about growing up and the role music played in his life at that point, was one of my favorite posts of the entire thread!

I noticed today that this thread has generated 483,xxx views, and I imagine over time that will work its way up to half a million, which would definitely be something worth commemorating. I'm enjoying engaging in other topics here at S.H.F., mostly due to @GodShifter's direction of the discussions, but there will definitely be only one thread of the quality of "KISS: The Songs" !!

:tiphat: :cheers:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  12. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

Thanks, Rose River Bear! Keep 'em coming! :righton:

@Terrapin Station, just a heads-up that I'm not going to stop bugging you for some music classes as well! :wave:

13. Rose River Bear

I will finish the rest of the album. Glad to see some folks are still interested considering the thread is winding down.

William Smart and npgchris like this.
  14. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

I hadn't a clue that someone got suspended due to this thread??!??

William Smart likes this.
  15. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

Winding Down? Down you say? I say just getting a second wind! :D

Anything For My Baby : how some people could call KISS metal makes me scratch my head. This is Rock & Roll plain and simple. Kind of short, but it packs a punch. Peter is beating the toms like he's going to war. Gene is playing very sweet base lines. And I love the lyrics. This is man who absolutely worships his Lady. Crawl or Kneel, Beg or Steal, it doesn't matter to him he has his eye on the mark and nothing will stop him from doing Anything for his baby. I like that sentiment. If she is a good one that's how it should be.
    In the morning when I raise my head she's beside me...... That's nice! Pax

PS glad to see some folks dropping in. Pax gentlemen!

npgchris and Rose River Bear like this.
  16. Rose River Bear

I did not know either until today. I drifted way for a while to the Steely Dan thread and missed the controversy. Good thing, I probably would have gotten banned myself!

npgchris, dadonred and William Smart like this.
  17. William Smart

me either! LMAO I got bounced off twitter last week. If I said why I'd get banned here too so I'll shut up. but I thought it was funny as hell

npgchris likes this.
  18. Rose River Bear

I promised to finish The Elder and doggone it I keep my word.....except for when it comes to the wifey. :love:

npgchris, YardByrd and William Smart like this.
  19. William Smart

A smart man knows that Mama rules the roost. Happy wife no broken b..... No that don't rhyme, but it's close enough!

20. William Smart

I almost forgot how much I love this song. Glad you're posting this album in particular. I can't listen to it with other KISS albums. For me it's a stand alone album to be judged & enjoyed separately. It kind of reminds me of (please don't ask me to explain what comes next) Genesis. Very early like Genesis to Revelations or Trespass. In mood mostly and the twelve string. Seems to invoke that same feeling for me, and I can't articulate it better than that. Peace

21. William Smart

SHE : what a great F'N song! Gene is all around nasty on this. This is Demon perfect. Bass is great. Great harmonies. This is KISS at its best. Do I hear a little Robbie Krieger in there Ace? I even like the Wicked Lester version. Very Tull like. A definite favorite. Peace.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    npgchris and Zoot Marimba like this.
  22. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

He lifted the Five to One solo for this tune

npgchris and William Smart like this.
  23. William Smart

Lol I Hope Robbie has heard it too. I like it.

Jackstar74 and npgchris like this.
  24. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I wrote little "history" of that solo thing on the page 35 of this thread:
    KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

25. William Smart

Thanks I gotta go read up on it. I probably should go back and read what everyone else said before I Post, but knowing me I'll start commenting on what someone said a year ago and they'll be like "WTF is Smart talking about"? Still I will likely learn a real lot, even if it slows down my reviews. I really wish I had jumped into this thread when I first got here. I missed a ton of good stuff. This thread is special. The sense of camaraderie is outstanding! There are great people here at SHM, but there is no thread that I've dropped in that's like this one. It really spoiled me. If I haven't said it before you guys rock ! @GodShifter I can't thank you enough for the job you did in this thread. F'N Amazing! Also Thanx for putting up with my rants and clowning around and insanity....... Yeah this thread is.......special . Pax Vobiscum Y'All

ejluther, npgchris and GodShifter like this.