Survivor Season 35: Heroes Vs. Healers Vs. Hustlers

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by xdawg, Sep 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

The tribal councils are so much better when Jeff steps out of it and let's the cast go live like last night. I couldn't believe Lauren did what she did and if you watched her on that last competition where the shell was placed in the sand right in front of her spot (come on Survivior producers make it a little challenging, put the shell in front of Chrissy's lol) Lauren didn't even put it in her pocket to hide it, it was like she didn't care she just got a full idol. She was too confident. Great move Ben.

Kyhl likes this.
  2. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

i'm dumbfounded at the game play of some of these people. wow Lauren, really? and Mike just blows with the wind. no rhyme or reason to what he does. and so far Ben is the only one that has shown he can keep his mouth shut about an idol or some advantage. bizarro.

xdawg likes this.
  3. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

At this point I have absolutely no preference who wins or loses. I was pulling for Lauren but she made some boneheaded moves and frankly she deserved to go.

JohnBeas and xdawg like this.
  4. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Lauren & Ashley have had minimal face time on the show. Lauren with the insane leaving her 2nd vote at camp and giving half an idol away was crazy. The 'active' TC was interesting and mostly kept Probst out of the picture. They had made up their minds what they were going to do based on Ben's comments and distancing himself from everyone. I'm sure they went back to camp and Ben will have enough of an alliance to move forward. If he isn't the target every week, he wins. It looks bad for him right now, but the editing of the show makes it look that way.

Kyhl likes this.
  5. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Ok, that drawing rocks thing was a HUGE waste of time. A whole bunch of them ended up going away...what was the point?

That said, my jaw dropped when Mike threw Lauren's half-idol in the fire. Then again, I cringed when she gave it to him in the first place. It's too late in the game and far too big a risk to do that. Out with ONE vote? She got outplayed and outwitted.

I agree that the show should get out of its own way. If they continue in this fashion, Plinko will be an immunity challenge and the next season will take place at an Applebee's.

Dan

Scotian and rburly like this.
  6. John54

John54 Senior Member

I hope Chrissy wins, or barring that, Ryan. They're the only two likeable players left IMHO.

The tribal council was interesting. There have been several lately where a number of people were getting up and speaking privately with others. I can't remember if it only started this season or if it was a season or two ago, but it certainly wasn't far back.

7. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Chrissy and Ryan have been among the most unlikable all season long IMO. This for sure is not the first season for getting up during tribal to go have private conversations. This week's version of that was even very tame compared to the season when it first took off with people doing it over and over. I'm thinking it was Game Changers season, but after all these years they all start to blend together for me.

anthontherun and rburly like this.
  8. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

The producers choose the players' outfits. Sometimes it's a matter of selecting what the contestants themselves pick out, but other times the producers can force something on them. Cochran for instance maintains that the producers insisted on him wearing a sweater vest even though he never even owned one before.

It's always been a social game more than a survival game. Nowadays they just devote practically zero airtime to the survival element. We occasionally see scenes of them struggling but admittedly this is mitigated by big feasts and rewards that we see a lot more often.

Despite what the show made it seem like back in the day, the water provided in wells was clean on day 1--it only needed to be boiled once the elements made their way in. There's a scene in the first episode of All-Stars where Rudy's tribe freaks out because he drank the water straight out of the well despite warnings about parasites...it was perfectly fine. There are some exceptions where the water wasn't producer-provided, like in Africa (and maybe Marquesas and others?)...but even in those cases, contestants have come out and admitted that they were given fire help off-camera. The survival element was never as authentic as the early seasons claimed.

She's said in interviews that she was bluffing and actually did have the vote with her. Why she didn't think to use it and cast a vote for someone else just in case Ben had an idol is beyond me.

I liked Chrissy at first but for someone who claims to be a "student of the game," her social game has been awful. She's smart but she just can't resist being catty sometimes, and she is the epitome of someone who can dish it out when she's in power, but can't take it at all when she's on the bottom. As for Ryan, I've disliked him from the beginning because he's so freaking forced. We get it, you've never been on a date. Now stop with the unfunny metaphors every Tribal Council.

Game Changers was where it really took off. This is one of those things where I think it's pretty cool once in a while but loses the excitement if he keeps happening, like it did in that season. And suspense for the sake of suspense is useless and unsatisfying when the outcome comes completely out of nowhere (like the Michaela boot last season). This instance was much better since the conversation was subtitled and we already had enough information to go by to explain what might happen. That said, I was still surprised based on where it ended that it turned out to be a 6-1 vote for Ben.

I know a lot of people aren't high on this season but for me it's one of the best installments in the past five years. I like that it wasn't "big moves" from the get-go and that relationships were at the core of the show, but then the last few episodes have seen some incredible and dynamic gameplay.

9. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

True, in the world of reality TV, nothing is ever as real as it seems. However, it is undeniable that the contestants in the earlier seasons often lost large amounts of weight while playing the game... to the point where it radically altered their appearance. That almost never happens in the more recent seasons.

10. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves Thread Starter

I would like for Ben to win this now. I think it would have been more exciting if Ben had waited until after the votes were cast to play the idol, but it really didn't change the outcome. Ashley was probably the correct choice.

Kyhl likes this.
  11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

preface:

i cannot stand chrissy....in plain language, she is an ignorant human in every sense of the word.

ben did screw up....he should have kept his idol until the votes were cast and he and ashley could have voted out doc. ashley's buddy, devin, really screwed her too.

i deserve to be in the final 5 more than ryan, what a non-player...should he make the final 3, i predict he does not get a single vote.

i am absolutely rooting for ben now, other than doc, none of the rest even come close to deserving it.

my fear: final 3: chrissy, ryan & devin.........good lord none of them deserve to win.

every week it just compounds the fact that this is the worst season of survivor ever.

12. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

Ben should've kept the idol secret like last time and voted Devin out. even though Chrissy won the last immunity challenge, Devin is the biggest challenge threat. Ashley was the next biggest challenge threat and she was never going to win it all. he goofed revealing the idol during the tribal.

13. applebonkerz

Ben has made an equal number of bonehead mistakes, and good moves, but it's starting to tip more toward bonehead. It was incredibly stupid to vote out Lauren last week. He had his total choice of anyone that would be a challenge threat, and he votes out one of the weakest threats. Devin was right, Ben should have voted him, or Chrissy, out last week. Same with targeting Doc this week. He could have kept his idol secret again, moped around tribal that he was going home this week because there wasn't anything he could do to sway the votes his way... everyone would have voted him, and bam--he could have gotten rid of Devin again. Very very stupid game play needing to brag about the idol before the vote, and another waste targeting Doc. I'm betting this will be a very unsatisfying finale outcome now, and it really didn't have to be this way at all.

Kyhl and rburly like this.
  14. rburly

There's just so much.

Re: Ben getting that last idol certainly made the TC more interesting. Other than that, I'm fine with whatever they do.

Kyhl likes this.
  15. rburly

As someone who watches an edited version of a 24/7 (mostly) live tv show, Big Brother, I find it hard to believe that in 3 days so much more happens. I know they want to tell their own story. Only the tribal council has the drama they're looking for. And maybe that's their hook for us watching the show. Okay, just typing out loud. :)

16. rburly

Does anyone else find the first event of the game overly suspicious? It's rhetorical, but it'll make sense to those as they see it.

17. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves Thread Starter

I'm happy with the winner of this season and I'm intrigued by the premise of the next one.

GLENN, Kyhl, RTurner and 1 other person like this.
  18. applebonkerz

Excitement, elation, dejection, hope... a real rollercoaster ride of a final. I'm very pleased with the outcome. This had to be about the worst reunion show segment ever though. Survivor is usually one of the only "game shows" that does the reunion get-together afterward right, making it an important postscript not to be missed. Not so tonight. Pretty much the whole reunion part can be skipped and nothing is missed besides the reveal of what the next season is supposed to be about.

19. applebonkerz

Huh?? :confused: Makes no sense to me... although maybe when you explain what ever it is you are talking about, it will.

20. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Good for Ben....
    but, he wouldn't be there if they hadn't done that 'fire-starting' contest thing.

Kyhl likes this.
  21. John54

John54 Senior Member

I was afraid that would happen; I thought Chrissy should have won it. However Ben played reasonably well (despite one jury member calling his social game horrible) and he was quite entertaining when he pulled out that third consecutive hidden immunity idol. Props for those, and also to Chrissy for winning four immunity challenges.

I do NOT like the so-called "secret advantage" twist at the end. For starters it was not an advantage at all, but a detriment. Perhaps if the lucky winner had the option to decline it and stick with the usual tribal council vote, it would be a good idea. I also wonder whether the decision to implement that twist was decided just prior to the final immunity challenge when it became obvious Ben would not survive unless he won it, or was it decided long prior to the season being filmed? If the former, wouldn't that be akin to the 1950s game show scandals where contestants were given answers on The $64,000 Question? As it was, the fiasco leaves a bad taste in one's mouth. Probably the worst twist since that idiotic "the jury wins immunity" back in Season 6.

And the reunion show has truly jumped the shark. That was by far the worst one ever, and I believe I said much the same about the previous one. The winner was only announced at about 10:30 (it has been getting progressively later), then there were commercials from 10:37-10:44, from 10:47-10:52, from 10:56-10:58 and again after a brief goodbye. There wasn't 15 minutes of "show" in that half hour. Awful. Why bother?

22. applebonkerz

Actually, if they are going to keep with a final 3 always instead of going back to a final two, I would be all for having only the final immunity winner safe, and all 3 of the rest competing in a fire making challenge. The first two to finish get to be in the final, the last one is out. If not that, I think this new version is still a much better option to weed out at least someone who doesn't really belong in the final group. As Jeff said, by day 39 everyone there should be used to making a fire on their own. It's always been my contention for this show, if you don't have any survival skills at all--if you are incapable of even making a fire like Ryan apparently still is--you have zero business belonging in the final as anything other than a goat that shouldn't be getting any votes from the jury.

This change allowed the most deserving person to be able to stay in the game and actually win. Had that not happened, it would have been Chrissy on a silver platter with no real competition left. There have been multiple seasons when the person going out 4th is more deserving of winning than at least two of the others still left in the final, sometimes even above the person who does win. Had a fire making challenge always been included to get in the final 3, then there would have been more final match-ups between the actual strongest players instead of a bunch of goats that can do nothing but stick together and vote as a block to remove the strong players right before the end they all know that they can't win against. They didn't show all the votes tonight, but it must have been 5-2-1. That's an overwhelming win, as it should have been, but if run historically would never have had a chance to happen tonight because the jury would have only been choosing between the lessor of the least deserving...with the real winner sitting in the jury at the last minute because the rest are afraid to compete against them for the final votes.

GlamorProfession likes this.
  23. rburly

Groovy! How is it that Ben gets an idol, making him safe before certain eviction? To paraphrase The Beatles, "A little help from his friends?" I'll just say that I'm glad Ben won.

applebonkerz likes this.
  24. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Probst has really been getting on my nerves the last few seasons. He won't shut up. I think he's trying out for the job of UFC host.

rburly likes this.
  25. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I would have been fine with either of Devon, Chrissy, or Ben winning however that last twist was about the lamest thing the show has done. It felt too contrived. It felt like a plot line stolen from the writers of the Walking Dead, which has become unwatchable. Without the twist it was obvious how pained the tribe was about Ben being voted out, then bam, the pain was replaced by nonsense. It was too convenient.

I did like the more open discussion at final tribal. I wasn't really a fan of previous final tribals where each jury member walked to an invisible podium to ask one question. While I liked the new version, I didn't like Prost's leading question and steering of the jury. Let the jury interrogate as much as they want as long as they are not badgering.

I also wasn't a fan of marking the idols this season. Most of the idols had a sign saying dig here. Make them work for it. Clues are good enough. And don't write definitive directions on the clues. The clues used to lead you to an area. Now the clue says, dig here. Pointless. The next step would be to hand a hidden immunity idol to the people they want to keep. This season's story was too overtly manipulated to the point that I'm not really interested in the next season. I'll record it then wait to read the reactions before deciding to watch or delete them.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    John54 and Scotian like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.