Yes - Going For The One and Tormato. Yes experts what say you?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stax o' wax, Jul 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Francis A Carr

Francis A Carr Member

When I was told Tony Levin played on it.. I had to correct ] Tony did play on union. ..

2. sbeck201

sbeck201 Forum Resident

head_unit likes this.
  3. husafreak

husafreak Great F'n music that's difficult to listen to!

Going for the one is a great album. Tormato is actually a favorite of mine too. Neither one sounds particularly good to me, in the way they were recorded, but I think Tormato is highly underrated.

patel kismet likes this.
  4. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

Going For the One is one of my favorites by them......love it. Just listened to Tormato recently and I think it is very good. Not to the heights of all previous albums....but I enjoy it.

wayneklein likes this.
  5. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

I loved Going For The One when it came out in the summer of '77. A girl who lived next door would blast it out her window practically every day, 'til I succumbed. I still have that original copy, though it's probably a mess. When I say I love it, I mean it -- I would not change a note that anyone played or sang on that album.

The sound choices and mix of GFTO are fairly idiosyncratic, but that's Yes! All the classic Yes albums sound strange to me, some more than others. The only '70's Yes record that has a nice, straightforward clean sound to me is The Yes Album.

Tormato?? Again, it's a strange one, but I like most of it. The cover is best forgotten, and whoever came up with it must have been on hard drugs -- Man/three-piece suit/windblown hill somewhere in England/drumsticks/fresh tomatoes -- great idea. Wakeman made a fairly radical change in sound from the lush textures of GFTO, and Alan White went with a dry sound that seemed more forward in the mix than before.

I think the tours from '77-'79 were excellent, based on the recordings. I didn't get to see Yes until 1980 and Drama.

Too bad about the GFTO masters. Maybe someone will stumble on them someday, like the 1972 tour recordings that resulted in Progeny.

Frankh, patel kismet and DME1061 like this.
  6. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

I caught them on the Tormato tour in 1979, my first time to see them. Very memorable, I think it was May 31, 1979 - Fort Worth. I also saw them on the Drama tour. Not a bad show, in fact much better than I thought it would be. I really love that album.

05/31/1979 Fort Worth, Texas

misteranderson likes this.
  7. I thought it was pretty amazing when it was released but it made me realize--where can they go from here?

8. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

The only thing that was kind of a downer about seeing them do Drama was that they'd lost about 5,000-6,000 paying customers when it was well-known that Anderson and Wakeman weren't there. The Civic Arena in Pittsburgh was about half-full, and Yes was usually a sell-out act there, or close to it. The band was on fire though, Steve in particular, and the sound was huge and detailed. Clair Bros. was known at the time for being the best in the business.

altaeria likes this.
  9. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

Same thing in Dallas. Reunion Arena was about 3/4 full. They had the same revolving stage from the last tour and we had some pretty good seats. I think that Trevor Horn was kind of blown away by the dedicated fans that did show up.

altaeria likes this.
  10. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I especially love Side 1 of Tormato.

I used to think he was holding drum sticks on the cover too, but they're actually diving rods. I like the cover better than the GFTO cover, but that's not saying much. Roger Dean was sorely missed.

petem1966 likes this.
  11. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

Windblown hill somewhere in England, you say...

Yep. It's called Yes Tor and is on Dartmoor in southwest England. The album was originally going to be called Yes Tor.

I'm a Dartmoor lad, see.

12. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

It would be cool if they released GFTO and Tormato with new Roger Dean covers. Hipnosis was usually good but not always. But these are two of the worst by anybody.

AidanB and yesstiles like this.
  13. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I'm no expert on Yes, but Tormato must have the worst cover art ever.

I remember seeing racks and racks and racks of them in the cutout bin, right next to the Sgt. Pepper soundtrack.

uzn007 likes this.
  14. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I kind of like the fact that they broke out of the Dean mold for a little while in the late 70s. I heard at one point that this would have been the Dean cover for GFTO.

[​IMG]

AidanB and strummer101 like this.
  15. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

The concept was good but the execution not so much.

yesstiles likes this.
  16. Stencil

Stencil Forum Resident

It wasn’t. I was there too. Car outta gas describes the whole thing. The previous tour for GFTO was on fire. Intense, tight, shimmering.

17. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

I'm a weirdo Yes fan that doesn't care for Roger Dean's work. The Tormato cover is my favorite Yes cover, and Going For the One is close behind (no pun intended).

uzn007 likes this.
  18. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

They should have gone with that....very nice.
    Instead we got Going For the Buns. :thumbsdow

SirMarc, Bemsha, AidanB and 3 others like this.
  19. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

This would have been a much better cover.

Bemsha and yesstiles like this.
  20. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I thought Yes was a great band, but with Tormato and some of those later albums, I felt that they ran out of new ideas. Some of the records were flat monotonous. I think there was a reason that Bill Bruford left the band when he did.

Wounded Land likes this.
  21. ShockControl

Fair enough, but people of a certain age will remember seeing dozens and dozens of these albums for 99 cents, several years after the album's release. I've often wondered what becomes of all those cutouts.

22. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

I don't think they were in the cutout bins because of the cover. :p
    I am one of those at a certain age. and my LP was not a cutout, BTW.

23. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

And I'm a Roger Dean maniac. I bought all his art books as paperbacks and then again as hardbacks, I have Dean prints in my living room and my bedroom, I have Roger Dean trading cards and a DVD and I regularly buy CDs with a Dean cover by artists I've never heard before.
    Still I like the cover of "Going For The One" a lot and I don't mind the "Tormato" cover. Somehow it fits the crazy music.

strummer101 likes this.
  24. ShockControl

I had it too, and I bet you are the only person who paid more than 99 cents for that turkey. ;)

strummer101 likes this.
  25. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

The Tomato album I have is a cut-out. I probably got it around 1980 or 1981.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.