Steven Spielberg's "Ready Player One" - March 30, 2018

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jul 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Well, part of the theme song sounds like a ripoff of "Pure Imagination" from Willy Wonka, and then they played a Rush song that I hate. And it looks like an empty-headed video game movie without any real plot or characters. And I saw a lot of heavy CGI that looked real phony. I dunno. :shake:

Here's the Variety rundown of the plot:

The new video features characters from “Lord of the Rings,” “Back to the Future,” “Iron Giant,” and “Nightmare on Elm Street” while introducing fans to protagonist Parzival, played by Tye Sheridan.

Parzival is up against the world in order to win a pop culture treasure hunt. As an orphan living in a destitute trailer with his aunt and 15 other strangers, he escapes into The Oasis, a virtual reality created by famed developer James Halliday, played by Oscar-winner Mark Rylance. When Halliday dies, he reveals a game to the world that will leave the winner in total control of The Oasis.

Parzival then becomes obsessed with the competition — and finding the Easter eggs hidden around The Oasis that are the key to victory — and eventually becomes at odds with the Innovative Online Industries organization and the villainous Nolan Sorrento (Ben Mendelsohn), who want to win the contest and skyrocket The Oasis’ price of admittance. Olivia Cooke, Simon Pegg, and T.J. Miller also star.

I gotta say, that's a helluva cast, but Spielberg has not been doing well for the last few years in terms of critical and box office success (aside maybe from Lincoln).

‘Ready Player One’ Trailer Features ‘Lord of the Rings,’ ‘Back to the Future’ Characters

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    MikaelaArsenault and bopdd like this.
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Last good film (only ) great film I find watchable is SaVing PriVate Ryan.( ok Duel was good back in the day for a TV movie). Saying that I liked AI.

longdist01 likes this.
  4. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Saw the preview this weekend. Looks cool to me, and loved the use of Tom Sawyer.

Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  5. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Well it is supposed to take place (largely) in an artificial environment, so I actually kind of forgive the CGI looking less-than-realistic. I think you're supposed to be fully aware you're in a not-real world.

Oh and at least in the book, the music of Rush actually plays a rather pivotal part of the plot.

I just finished the book not too long ago, and from the looks of the trailer, they've taken quite a few liberties from the original story. For example (not spoiling anything really), those bike/car race scenes aren't in the book at all. And it looks like they've removed a lot of the old-school video game references and replaced them with newer, more familiar pop culture characters that presumably are more familiar to a younger audience (rather than the 40+ age group the book is more clearly aimed at). If I remember correctly, the book doesn't even feature any LotR, BttF, or NoES characters. And the Iron Giant is only mentioned very briefly in passing.

I would also recommend for anyone who's currently reading the book (or is planning on it), do not check out the cast listing on IMDb ahead of time - it contains a rather significant spoiler, just in the casting. I will say, having Ben Mendelsohn as Sorrento basically ensures he'll be typecast in these kinds of roles for quite some time. At least in the book, Sorrento comes across so much like Krennic from Rogue One that they probably just could have used outtake footage from that movie for this one.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  6. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Great book. His other one was also good. Was it called armada?

7. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

I saw a trailer for the movie just before Blade Runner 2049 and there was not enough there to gain my interest yet(and I love 80's video games). I need to see and know more.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  8. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I recommend the book, which is really good and aimed squarely at those of us who grew up in the late 70's/early 80's, and remember the days of early computer and video games. Like I said, it looks like the movie is skewing more toward newer/more familiar pop culture references, which is a shame.

9. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

I really liked Minority Report. But that was the early aughts, so yeah, it has been a while.

MikaelaArsenault and alexpop like this.
  10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Spielberg is directing this? I saw the trailer the other day in the theater. My reaction: "Kid's movie." Certainly not my cup of tea.

11. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Which is funny, because the book itself references several Spielberg moments.

12. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

I'm really looking forward to this. I read this book after a recommendation in a book shop (when does that happen anymore?), the sales guy who suggested it was fascinated by all the 80's pop culture so heavily used in the book.

I'm pretty sure BTTF was used (someones grand entrance in a deLorian maybe? Been a while since I read it), along with so many other films and games.

The CGI has got to be deliberate, as already mentioned the action takes place in a virtual reality and is rendered as such, it would actually spoil it to show these scenes in 'real' life.

The most surprising thing out of this, is that some scenes were actually filmed in Birmingham UK, my hometown. Spaghetti Junction and the Jewelry Quarter, a lot was made of this at the time for such a big director to be here. Watch incredible Ready Player One car chase footage

Armada I didn't think so much of, seemed like a rehash of The Last Starfighter. Didn't help that I listened to the audiobook of this one with Wil Wheaton narrating, that didn't do it any favours.

MikaelaArsenault and mattright like this.
  13. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

Saw the preview for this before Blade Runner 2049. It was the first of about 5 trailers where I got to watch someone else play a video game. Or at least it felt like that.

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Holy moley. I was not expecting to want to like this thing, but the brand new trailer that hit today is a visual knock-out:

SuntoryTime and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  15. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Maybe so, but it still felt very superficial. Caprica meets The Matrix meets Tron...meh.

polchik and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  16. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Looks good to me

peace and love✌Dave

17. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I'll see it because I read and enjoyed the book, but my worry again is that there's little in either of these trailers I actually recognize from the book itself.

18. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

Yep. It was Armada.

This was a great book, and the 80's theme is almost its own character. The music of Rush plays heavily into the movie. I think anyone that grew up in the 80's will find something to enjoy. The music, the video games, the movies, the ambiance. I didn't mind Wil Wheaton's reading of this audiobook, either. There was actually a funny part about Wil Wheaton in the book, and that being ready by Wil, made it even more quirky fun. Totally enjoyable, escapist book... hopefully the movie will follow suit.

SuntoryTime likes this.
  19. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Looks good, maybe I'll go to see it on the big screen.
    It doesn't have the Spielberg-'feel' for me; it could have been from Michael Bay or any other 'effectlords'/blockbuster-directors.

20. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

At 1:42 is, I believe, the Jewelry Quarter of Birmingham UK. It's actually much nicer looking than it looks in this trailer :) I'm really looking forward to this film.

21. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

SuntoryTime and longdist01 like this.
  23. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Don't get me wrong, I like Spielberg, but I'm predicting this to make a loss. They will need to do around $600m at the box office to cover that budget and I don't sense any buzz about this film at all. I think it's a confusing premise that will make it hard to get casual movie goers interested.

longdist01 likes this.
  24. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

The novel has been criticizes as shallow and vapid - nothing more than a collection of pop culture allusions. The book - and the movie - could be a trivia game, how many references do you recognize.

25. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Sounds familiar...

[​IMG]

I was intrigued by the trailer. I'd be interested in seeing it, unless early word tells me it's an abomination or something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.