Do you guys listen to music/ASMR while sleeping?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by acemachine26, Dec 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acemachine26

acemachine26 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a playlist of songs and ASMR sounds that I listen to when I go to bed. I've noticed that over the last few months I've been having some dark/disturbing dreams for some reason that just put me in a bad mood for the rest of the day. Listening to music or ASMR while sleeping has solved that issue. I usually listen to classical pieces like Holst's Venus, Satie's Gymnopedie or calming film soundtracks at low volume.

2. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

Yes. I listen to ASMR videos to help me sleep sometime--I prefer 8-10 hour train trips!

acemachine26 likes this.
  3. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

What is asmr

4. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

i would think dreams are better to come naturally but if they are nightmares perhaps tweaking them a bit with your music of choice might be warranted.
    i used to sleep with headphones in, going to bed with music (sometimes even loud rock) and i don't recall it having an effect on my dreams. though certainly did a number on my hearing i am sure. sweet dreams.

SandAndGlass and acemachine26 like this.
  5. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response

6. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

I listen to music while falling asleep. This makes me sound like a 10-year-old, but trying to fall asleep is by itself boring, and listening to music makes it not boring, and the promise of listening to an album that I like--even if I know I'll be out by the second or third track--is an incentive for me to finally turn off the lights. It helps that a lot of the music that I like is low-key and quiet.

Yost, NorthNY Mark, Scopitone and 2 others like this.
  7. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

absolutely not.

nosliw and ando here like this.
  8. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Absolutely, the only way I can get my brain to switch off.

Jimmy B. and acemachine26 like this.
  9. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

When I was younger I listened to music while falling asleep. I stopped when I moved in with my GF way back in the day. I'm lucky - except for winter - I can open the bedroom windows / doors and hear real ocean sounds in the background as I fall asleep. I've gotten so used to it that when sleeping with the windows / door closed or when not at the cottage I have to have a fan on in the background to get to sleep with any ease

acemachine26 likes this.
  10. Jiri Smahel

Jiri Smahel Forum Resident

How about some ambient?

yamfox, SandAndGlass and Jimmy B. like this.
  11. PatrickG

PatrickG Forum Resident

I'm partial to the 10 hour rain/thunder stuff on YouTube. I can't imagine listening to people whisper or crinkle paper.

12. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I listen to the Soma FM station Drone Zone quite a bit while drifting off to sleep. Spacey / ambient soundscapes with minimal to no beats, and though it does get a bit dissonant at times I am able to sleep right through it.

klockwerk and drgn95 like this.
  13. I go to sleep most nights with headphones on (Oppo PM3) I have a Rega Saturn cdp and a Violectric V200 amp on the bedside rack and usually around 50cds on rotation from my music room. Currently working through the new Pentangle box set. Almost a nightly ritual, headphones on and this forum on an ancient I-pad. I know it's time to switch off when the I-Pad falls from my hands and hits me on the nose. That period from a few minutes up to half an hour is the most relaxing time of my day.
    I must have the subconscious well trained as many mornings I wake up and the phones are hung neatly on the storage hook. Never remember doing it.

RockRoom likes this.
  14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

15. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

An iPod Shuttle strapped to my arm, low profile Sennheiser earbuds in, I listen to three Dr. Jeffery Thompson sleep aid CDs repeating all night: "Sleepy Rain", "Sleepy Ocean", and some kind of music he produced for deep sleep. Each an hour long.

Wish I could sleep like I could when I was young, but this really helps.

16. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I'm kinda strange, I like the company of sports talk radio. The conversation comforts me to sleep. One earbud in, I'm usually out in 15-20 mins.

Lucca90 and gregorya like this.
  17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Me too! I'm not even a sports fan but I like to listen to it at night to help me unwind.

When I was a kid I used to listen to Bruce Williams' TalkNet radio talk show (anyone remember him?) at night. I still listen to MP3s of the old show from time to time.

Dave's SG2k and musictoad like this.
  18. hammondjake

hammondjake Forum Resident

I'm a total insomniac - in-ear bluetooth headphones and audio plays/books streamed from my phone, all night, every night. Music by itself isn't distracting enough - I need drama!

BBC 4 extra in the UK is a lifesaver for me.

When In Rome and Lucca90 like this.
  19. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

I've been doing it since i was thirteen,everyday of my life,can't sleep without it :help: :laugh:

20. drgn95

drgn95 Under the Wire

Most often I listen to old reruns of Art Bell's radio shows or Soma fm.

Olompali likes this.
  21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Oh yeah, I kind of miss Art's old Coast To Coast AM show- he had some very um... interesting guests on.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  22. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

I often listen to Disc 2 of Kate Bush's "Aerial". The re-issue on her own Fish People label has the 8 tracks from Disc 2 mastered as one long segue "for the digital age" and it makes a very relaxing 42-minute suite of birds' singing, soft strings and simply beautiful vocals - very nice way to slowly fall into a deep slumber after a rough day.

gregorya likes this.
  23. drgn95

drgn95 Under the Wire

I like that TuneIn radio has a sleep timer so you don't have to have it playing all night.

24. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

Same here....Goons excepted!

25. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

I've been listening to ambient from Eno and Harold Budd for years to fall alseep to. Some favorites:
    Ambient 4: On Land - Eno
    Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundtracks - Eno
    The Equatorial Stars - Eno & Fripp
    The White Arcades - Harold Budd
    The Pearl - Eno & Budd

4_everyman and Chrome_Head like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.