Ho Ho Ho! - Upcoming Holiday / Christmas releases?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Nathan Aaron, Aug 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

2. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky!

This is a Great Thread, looked for a couple of the Albums mentioned in 1st page, unfortunately tend to be higher priced than I want to pay(for now,this year) But I did find this one going for a Song..

[​IMG]

Not only is the Artwork different,but the Track Listing is also longer than the Original CD version.

[​IMG]

This being(I think) the Original CD Track Listing.

[​IMG]

Anybody own the extended (?) Version with tha not so great Artwork ..is it worth picking up..

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  3. CrazyCatz

Nice bit of background Info there, as with most of the Albums listed in this Thread..I had a quick look on FleaBay (didn't expect to find by way) but did happen across this..

[​IMG]

Nathan Aaron likes this.
  4. Flybynight88

Flybynight88 Forum Resident

I was always of big fan of Fred Waring & his Pennsylvanians

Christopher B and CrazyCatz like this.
  5. I think Dean Martin was much better with Christmas music than the other Rat Pack members.

6. phish

phish Jack Your Body

Max released his third one of these this year and also release one last year. Worth the price of admission.

7. CrazyCatz

Just grabbed it for £1.19 also picked up John Denver Christmas Like a Lullaby for £1.13 to add to the John Denver and the Muppets a Christmas Together that I managed to snipe earlier.

Jarleboy likes this.
  8. CWillman

CWillman Senior Member

The two albums I recommend as must-gets this year:

Sia
    The Minus 5

Honorable mention:

Cheap Trick

9. portlandjulian

portlandjulian Forum Resident

Pink Martinis Joy To The World, available on vinyl for the first time, with limited copies on White vinyl as well. :)

[​IMG]

10. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident Thread Starter

- I actually have a copy of the full Quinto Sisters Christmas album on vinyl I keep meaning to put on eBay! Let me know if you’re interested!

CrazyCatz likes this.
  11. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

I think this one's pretty good. Definitely one of the most "authentic" sounding late 50's/early 60's esque albums I've heard. Nice guitar playing too:

[​IMG]
    Hi-Fi Christmas Guitar, by Joel Paterson

So I have some good news and bad news regarding the availability of the 1942 version of "'Twas The Night Before Christmas" on CD. The bad news is that the particular version that you listened with your mother that she was on has still yet to be reissued. That being said, there are a couple alternatives to that. First is the aforementioned 1955 version which was actually a total re-recording of the original effort (Waring would do this a third time when stereo LP's came out). I don't know if your mother was still in Waring's Pennsylvanians by that time, but regardless this version has been reissued alongside it's "companion" the 1955 version of "Christmas Time" as a two-fer by Real Gone (although that fact has admittedly been discussed above) available on both their own site and on Amazon:

Fred Waring Twas the Night Before Christmas/Christmas Time
    https://www.amazon.com/Twas-Night-B...s=fred+waring+twas+the+night+before+christmas

In addition to this, Penn State University has made available a "reconstruction" of sorts of the 1942 version using existing radio and television broadcasts, and other sources. So while the recordings themselves differ from the original 1942 release, they do present an "alternate" version of the album, and chances are your mother may be on some if not all of those:

Fred Waring Store: Music CDs | Penn State University Libraries

Hope these at least tide you over until a possible time when the 1942 version is reissued.:tiphat:

12. CrazyCatz

Cheers Nathan, I can't help feeling after looking at some of the Albums in this Thread that it's probably outta my Price range at moment..not to mention that we probably live across the pond from each other.

** Quick Question - is Fred Waring 2fer Twas night before Christmas/ Christmas Time worth checking out? Couple of reviews slate it on Amazon..and it's not cheap(well to me) but seems the Vinyl of Twas the night before Christmas is fair price on FleaBay and I'd rather have better sounding version if possible.

Idk? But after reading this Thread ..seems lots Great Albums have past me by.. Great Thread!

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    Nathan Aaron likes this.
  13. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

I have the Joy To The World 10" box set from a few years ago. Are these the same recordings?

pghmusiclover likes this.
  14. portlandjulian

portlandjulian Forum Resident

Yes they are and I guess they mean the first time on a regular LP sized disc then.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  15. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I love Pink Martini, so I have both the 10" box set and the LP!

portlandjulian likes this.
  16. phish

phish Jack Your Body

I got this yesterday and it is great. Thanks for the heads up.

Johnny Reb likes this.
  17. CrazyCatz

Happy Days, no not the TV show :) which I did like, used to sing along2. Nope I mean 3 more Christmas Albums turned up today..one of em NEW(Well I mean unopened) Waffling.. ..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

As from I remember, my mom said 1946 or 1947 when she was in her teens.
    We owned the 1955 Decca LP and it had the original versions that were on the 78 album plus a bunch of tracks that were newly recorded for padding.
    The first 3 tracks from the 12" LP are new recordings.
    The Rockwell cover is nice but that green cover is the one that brings back memories.
    The closest it came out on CD was part 2 of the title track (why?) on a WOGL compilation on the Collectables label.
    When I added it to my yearly Christmas compilations that I used to make 12 years ago, I had to needledrop part 1 from the 1955 LP.

MaestroDavros and CrazyCatz like this.
  19. Hamhead

And now he's remembered for inventing the blender.

Christopher B and CrazyCatz like this.
  20. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

Hmm, that's interesting. I wonder why Real Gone and Penn State both claim they were re-recorded in 1955 (presumably to take advantage of tape) in addition to the new recordings (Jingle Bells, etc.)? Maybe only select tracks? I haven't done a thorough comparison of the two versions yet, but I'll take your word for it.

21. pghmusiclover

[​IMG]

Side A
    1. Sing A Christmas Carol
    2. Wenceslaus (Image I)
    3. Star Of Wonder
    4. We Three Kings

Side B
    1. Christmas Children
    2. Wenceslaus (Image II)
    3. Some Children See Him

Side C
    1. Little Drummer Boy
    2. Wenceslaus (Image III)
    3. The Michigan Farm (Cradle Song, Op. 41/1)
    4. The Snow Is Deep On The Ground / Snowfall

Side D
    1. Same Old Lang Syne
    2. This Christmas
    3. The Beautiful Day
    4. Jesu Joy Of Man's Desiring*
    *(Vinyl Only Bonus Track)

Kurt Elling's Christmas album from last year was release on vinyl this year by Music on Vinyl. It includes a bonus track of "Jesu Joy Of Man's Desiring" with the Swingle Singers.

KURT ELLING - THE BEAUTIFUL DAY…KURT ELLING SINGS CHRISTMAS - Catalog - Music On Vinyl

Kurt scores points for including Dan Fogelberg's "Same Old Lang Syne":

CrazyCatz and portlandjulian like this.
  22. pghmusiclover

This was released on vinyl this year. There was also a deluxe CD and digital version re-release this year that includes 4 additional songs (the vinyl includes a download code for all 12 songs):

[​IMG]

1. Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
    2. First Noel
    3. The Christmas Waltz
    4. My Favorite Things
    5. Christmas
    6. I'll Be Home For Christmas
    7. Edelweiss (feat. Nicolette Robinson)
    8. The Christmas Song
    9. Please Come Home For Christmas
    10. Merry Christmas Darling
    11. Winter Song
    12. Ave Maria

CrazyCatz and keef00 like this.
  23. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

24. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Thanks for posting the Joel Paterson album. I probably would never have heard about it otherwise, but streamed it last night & really like it.

MaestroDavros likes this.
  25. Hamhead

This has to be from 1955 because of the tape edits and sped-up vocals near the end, I loved it as a kid. Waring goes into Spike Jone's territory.

MaestroDavros likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.