Next XTC Steven Wilson 5.1 remix - BLACK SEA

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Phil Tate, Jul 25, 2017.

1. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

Every one of these sets has used a flat hi-res transfer from the stereo master tape for the original mix with the single exception of the 2001 version being used for Skylarking's "uncorrected polarity" version. My guess is they didn't bother as Andy considers it "wrong"

2. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Just received mine from Burning Shed in Philadelphia. Silver pen from Mr. Chambers.

Anyone have a suggestion for Mac software that will rip the blu-ray audio tracks?

3. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I had that same complaint with "Earn Enough For Us" from Skylarking. The rest of the remix was perfect though!

4. Mister Barmy

Mister Barmy Forum Resident

I think Nonsuch contains the 2001 remaster rather than a flat transfer.

varitone likes this.
  5. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Anyone else recognize the seed of "Melt the Guns" in "Holding the Baby"?

van1 likes this.
  6. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It's possible Andy requested some changes.

7. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yes, they seem to use the 2001 remasters instead of analog flat transfers for the albums that have a 16/44 digital master (Nonsuch, Skylarking), although the Skylarking BR also contains the 2010 "corrected polarity" remaster.

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  8. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I usually don't post shipping updates, but in this case I am getting antsy. Still haven't received my copy from Burning Shed here in New Jersey. I order from Burning Shed quite a bit, and I don't think anything has taken this long from day of shipment to not yet receiving the package.

Hopefully soon!!

9. GreggF

GreggF Forum Resident

I'm in Northern NJ and I received a shipping notice from Burning Shed on 11/20. We're in the same boat.
    Soon, I hope!

10. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Still waiting for amazon.ca to get some stock :)

11. bobbydriver

bobbydriver Forum Resident

Got mine - listening to the 5.1 tonight with a beer or two!

12. guerilla1977

guerilla1977 Forum Resident

Landed in Vancouver, Canada today... FYI.

GreggF likes this.
  13. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Whew ;)

I'm curious as I haven't pulled the trigger yet, is the original mix a previous remaster? Which if any XTC releases had a flat transfer of its original mix?

14. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Discussed just a few posts up > Next XTC Steven Wilson 5.1 remix - BLACK SEA
    Next XTC Steven Wilson 5.1 remix - BLACK SEA

In short:
    Flat transfers of the original mix: Drums & Wires, Black Sea, English Settlement, Oranges & Lemons.
    Remasters: Skylarking, Nonsuch.

15. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

16. GreggF

GreggF Forum Resident

My copy finally arrived today. Ripping it now. Can't wist to sit back and hear what Steven Wilson did with it.

17. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

18. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I used MakeMKV (free) to decrypt all of the Black Sea stereo & 5.1 program material and DVD Audio Extractor (free $30 trial; ~$40 after) to rip those decrypted tracks to FLAC just yesterday on a Mac.

You can use these tools to rip 24/96 LPCM for all of the stereo program material and your choice of 24/96 5.1 LPCM or 5.1 DTS-HD MA if you want (Note: DVD-AE now rips full lossless DTS HD-MA instead of just the lossy DTS core). It’s a little complicated the first time you do it, but once you get the hang of it, it’s pretty simple.

If you do a search, you can find more details on the decrypting/ripping process. Don’t let people tell you that you can’t rip invidual tracks using DVD-AE. This is not true; anyone who says this simply doesn’t know what they’re doing. You can download basic tags (Track titles, Artist, Album, Year, Genre) from freeDb in DVD-AE before ripping, but FWIW, I then use MP3Tag to clean up tags after ripping.

Of course, you’ll need an external BD drive to do this.

There is other software which others recommend that will do this as well but this combo is what I have been using for several years to rip Blu-ray audio.

jamesc likes this.
  20. Am guessing that Steven will get to do Apple Venus one of these days. Stuff like River of Orchids and Greenman and Easter Theatre in 5.1 would be spectacular. Maybe add Ordinary People to Apple Venus and Say It/Spiral to Wasp Star in this series?

ceddy10165, ted321 and Matt S like this.
  21. bobbydriver

bobbydriver Forum Resident

I was wondering the same whilst trying to guess which one will come next, and I concluded that AV and WS would be the last ones they do, and possiby never. My thinking being:

1) they weren't particularly big sellers and/or critically lauded (in comparison to all the older albums) so sales may be (even more) limited
    2) previously unreleased bonus content must be thin on the ground as Instrumental versions and Demo versions of both already released

22. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Andy addressed AV/WS recently:
    XTC on Twitter

bobbydriver and zobalob like this.
  23. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x Thread Starter

Oooh I missed that! Excellent! I'd love to hear the instrumental AV as the Instruvenus CD now costs silly money. I never even knew it existed until someone mentioned it in this thread recently.

24. agn

agn Forum Resident

I ordered mine from BS and when I opened the package there was a signed postcard. That is pure class.

25. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I’ll never order Ape releases from anybody but Burning Shed. The price, shipped to the US is great, often pre-orders are delivered before Amazon gets them in stock, plus I assume XTC makes more money. Plus the customer service it top notch. I’d rather buy direct then give Amazon more money!

agn, DaverJ, zobalob and 3 others like this.