So are we going to see the new LS-50 at CES next month?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ls35a, Dec 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident Thread Starter

With KEF blowing out the LS-50 for $999 (five hundred bucks off) I can't but believe there's a new model waiting in the wing.

Anyone else think so?

I'm a huge 'LS3/5a type' speaker fan and I supposed I'll end up trying whatever the new pair is just for grins.

2. Gizmo90

Gizmo90 Ashes to ashes, funk to funky

Not sure. Those speakers are a lot less money to make then $1500. Maybe they are just trying to move more product during he holidays as they know the increase in sales/profit by selling quantity will offset the discount offered. I’d love to see a new kef speaker , however!

3. timind

timind phorum rezident

Didn't they do something similar last December, or maybe the year before? I remember being tempted with their online deal on Amazon.

4. james

james Summon The Queen

Of course...there’s gotta be an updated version coming. The market is saturated with the current version. Looking forward to what they’ve come up with. A small floorstander would be cool.

ls35a and wgb113 like this.
  5. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

I think there was a Massdrop for that price too, so nothing too far gone. Maybe they are going for a sales record now, must be one of the biggest sellers in high end speakers, at least in modern times, seems that way around here anyway, very popular.

timind likes this.
  6. M.R.Collins

M.R.Collins Forum Resident

I ordered from Kef direct, they were back-ordered so I'm not sure they are getting rid of old stock. It would seem if that was the case they wouldn't accept orders for stock not on hand. But, it wouldn't surprise me to see an updated pair and see ongoing sales of both like they do with smart phones these days.

7. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

Not doubting you sales wise for sure, but is $1,500 considered high end?
    Honestly not sure where that barrier is.
    Just "asking", not challenging you.

8. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

From what I've heard, there is not a new model coming any time soon. Of course KEF could be keeping something "under wraps". But really, the current version is still selling quite well.

9. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

Depends on how we classify "high end." I've never heard the LS50, but stereophile says they are "class A" along with a bunch of very expensive speakers. SO that would make them high end by some measure (likely the measure of money KEF spent advertising in Stereophile) .....but if we are looking at price, 999 to 1500 bucks isnt very "high end."

Higlander likes this.
  10. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

They probably think it is time to lower the price as competition is getting up to speed on the new standard per buck.
    They must have met their profit goals and now it is time to extend the life of the model, especially with the active version coming.

11. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident

Or is it a reaction to competition ? Quad S2 has received universally great reviews on both sides of the pond, many think it sounds better than the LS50. And the S2 msrp is $999.

12. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

Yes it's totally reaction to competition. It's quite impressive that they have kept the skim price for so long (what.. 5 years?).

13. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

Why would KEF replace their best selling product?

14. ls35a

The marketing lifecycle says that when saturation in the marketplace happens it's time for a 'new and improved' version.

Works with dish soap. Works with speakers.

15. matt0505

matt0505 Forum Resident

I'm currently in a constant battle with myself deciding on whether or not I should switch to the LS50 Wireless. I have the LS50's currently and while they sound good 1) I use a Soundblaster X7 to amplify them which I would have to think is woefully inadequate for what these speakers are and 2) All I keep reading is that the LS50W's are A LOT better. I guess I just don't know whether or not I'll feel they are the ~$800 better that it will end up costing me to make the switch.

First world problems, I know.

16. ls35a

Active speakers are a PITA. I'm sure they sound great but the ac cables and the wiring hassles... it's definitely something to keep in mind when deciding if you want a pair.

17. Helom

Helom Forum member

It seems obvious to me that the new and improved version is the LS50 Wireless.

18. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

Well, the LS50 Wireless looks like a best bang for the bucks option for those who do not have already great amplification or care for small packages...
    The better product is KEF reference, or for some, the R300... the next flagship will be the ls60 or 70 if they can make major brakthrough within a decade.
    In my case for instance, I prefer the passive version as I am never happy with a single pair of speakers... I have to swap from time to time as a cure for upgradetitis. Plus what if I want to hear them with tubes?
    So the money saved for an on-board amplification can be used for later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.