Canadian TV in the 1960s

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by John B, Dec 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

2. The Hole Got Fixed

3. The Hole Got Fixed

4. t-man 54

t-man 54 Forum Resident

Let's Go on CBC From Winnepeg on Thursdays Mid 60's. Hosted by Chad Allen and The Guess Who house band !

5. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

Ever notice D L Roth looks like Johnny Wayne?

The Hole Got Fixed likes this.
  6. The Hole Got Fixed

7. The Hole Got Fixed

8. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

9. I remember that Jim Perry's hair went snow white and then he landed an American game show hosting gig and his hair was magically black again.

10. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

The Friendly Giant was AMAZING! Firstly it had the coolest toy village (we all knew it was a toy village) to wander through with something interesting each time to look at. There was a castle and Jerome the Giraffe who was so tall he could stick his head in the castle window and talk with a rooster in a bag. And at the end the perspective distorts again to show a fireplace I wanted to sit with Grandma at and Friendly's boot right beside. This was pure imagination at work. If this doesn't describe a surreal existence for a child I don't know what does - maybe Goodnight Moon is on par. And it only lasted 15 minutes which is perfect for young minds.

But more importantly it was my gateway into music. Friendly had small animals in the castle who were in a trad jazz group and they would visit regularly. Sometimes Rusty the rooster joined. Mostly Friendly attended on his recorder. My house was surrounded in music but this was very intimate, quiet and so accessible. I was introduced to quiet smooth jazz and traditional baroque. Again, surreal and amazing.

As an adult I found out that Jerome was orange/yellow with BLUE SPOTS! Blue spots on a giraffe (Yes I know why they did this but still within it's rigid reality) Come on...mind blown. :)

11. bobbyhol

bobbyhol Forum Resident

Interesting to see two posts mention The Trouble With Tracy, which was for years a punchline for me and my friends when we'd talk about bad comedy. Did you know the entire series used scripts from an old radio show called Easy Aces, written by and starring Goodman Ace and his wife Jane? (They even recycled Ace's trademark lament 'Isn't that awful ?") I heard a few of the episodes many years ago when Ace wrote his memoirs, and a cute show with charm that worked on radio became absolutely painful translated into a sitcom. The radio version ran for fifteen years!

John B likes this.
  12. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

It's the retort when somebody asks (usually rhetorically) whether there was ever a show worse than Small Wonder.

Why yes, yes there was...

John B and carrick doone like this.
  13. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

TNN did air the Tommy Hunter Show in the US for a while. Great show filled with great country music.

John B likes this.
  14. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue. Thread Starter

The Trouble With Tracy is regarded as awful. On par with Plan 9 From Outer Space. @Plan9

Karnak, Double D and Plan9 like this.
  15. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

John B likes this.
  16. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

Uncle Bobby was apparently the inspiration for Happy Marsden:

Double D, John B and beccabear67 like this.
  17. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

Episode of Frank's Bandstand

Macman, John B Good and John B like this.
  18. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Being 0 in 1963, all I remember was The Flinstones, Bugs Bunny etc....

Dont remember anything Canadian.

19. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

You know that Chad Allan used to be the lead singer for the Guess Who, so that's kind of odd.

20. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

TV presenter was what he went on to, but he also stayed in music with Brave Belt (with Randy B.) and solo.

t-man 54 and John B like this.
  21. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I remember Forest Rangers - probably showing in the late 60s/early 70s in the UK - and Beachcombers from a little later.

John B likes this.
  22. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Even though it has been decades since I've seen either Mr Dressup or The Friendly Giant, based on what I can remember about them, I would still give either of those shows the edge over quite a bit of "educational" kids programming you got going, even nowadays. Not sure about Mr Dressup but my four year old would probably love The Friendly Giant. Hell, back in the day it was probably considered unpatriotic if you were a Canadian kid with access to a TV who didn't watch those shows:D

MLutthans, carrick doone and John B like this.
  23. The Hole Got Fixed

He was indeed.

24. Pete Norman

Pete Norman Forum Resident

Operation Mystere from the French CBC

25. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

I grew up watching Uncle Bobby which began it's run in about 1964 and ran well into the 70's. Bimbo The Birthday clown creeps me out now lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.