Amazon (ca) — shipped vinyl in no box

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by lucan_g, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident Thread Starter

For the first time today, I received a record from Amazon.ca shipped with nothing but a sticker on the celephane wrapper. This has never happened before and, I confess, my mind is kinda blown. The record sleeve itself has wrinkles under the celephane, and I’m terrified to open the record.

No, I don’t care about aesthetics, and I will open and play the record, and if it’s in decent shape I’ll keep it. I’m not big into returning. But has anyone experienced this? Is this cost-cutting? An incredibly stupid employee? I’m amazed....

granata and ispace like this.
  2. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Mistakes happen. It’s not like brick and mortar stores never make them. If it’s damaged send it back...simple.

CraigBic likes this.
  3. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

I once had a merchant from Amazon UK mail me a rather rare CD in a thin paper mailer that was held closed by ONE rubber band. Shockingly, the package made itself through customs, and the CD/case were perfect.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  4. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

THIS.

Is why I don't buy vinyl from Amazon.

LordThanos1969 and Taxman like this.
  5. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

I aso ordered the sgt peppers deluxe vinyl through amazon.ca over the past summer and it was mailed with no box, just a sticker. The album was destroyed in transit. A good thing was that I was able to return with no hassle.

Mr. Explorer and forthlin like this.
  6. lucan_g

Ok...so this isn’t isolated. It was just a first time for me. Still amazed.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  7. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I have a good friend who ordered one of the Beatles boxed sets--not sure if it was the mono or stereo--but they didn't box it, just slapped a mailing label on the shrink and sent it. Somehow it arrived in good shape but jeez louise...

8. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

That is pretty crazy. In my experience, Amazon here in the US always ships vinyl using at least a cardboard LP mailer. If there are multiple items in the shipment, the LP mailer is put into a larger box with the other items.

Jrr likes this.
  9. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

....conversely, I received my Bowie box set in a perfect box... was very happy.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  10. lucan_g

Until today...that had been my experience as well.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  11. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Because they did this to a few records out of hundreds of thousands? I've ordered at least 100 records from Amazon and all have arrived in perfect shape.

black sheriff and Mr. Explorer like this.
  12. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Plenty of places to purchase vinyl and all the one's I do business with all use shipping boxes.

13. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I once received a box set in bubble wrap, but no box. It was fine. Most of the time, if there’s a packaging problem, it’s the opposite - a huge box, with a bunch of paper stuffing and and one or two LP’s swimming around inside.

Things get worse during the holidays, I think.

Echo and Mr. Explorer like this.
  14. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

If you call Amazon and let them know they may extend your Prime membership an additional month and credit your account with some money. Something has recently changed with how Amazon.ca does delivers. They used Purilator to deliver a CD box set I ordered last week with Prime. They made no attempt to deliver it and it was held at one of their location 30km and 2 cities away from me. I called Purilator and they said they would schedule a delivery in 3 days. Instead they sent it to another location in another city, buy only 10 km away, so I just picked it up myself. The box set cover was damaged but the CDs were okay. Amazon credited my account when I called but when I requested that Purilator not be used for future orders they said they have no control over that.

Mr. Explorer and lucan_g like this.
  15. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Yeah they hire temps. Stupid stuff will happen this time of year.

MonkeyLizard likes this.
  16. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

Scary. Was this direct from Amazon, or from a third-party seller?

17. bdfin

bdfin Forum Resident

I've bought 5 albums from them in the last 6 months and all were in cardboard LP mailer and undamaged. One was the wrong artist though......simple email and they had it corrected in a few days. Can't complain.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  18. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

let Amazon Customer service know, they will make it right.

gregorya and Jimijam like this.
  19. lucan_g

This was direct. Thus the surprise. I’ve had a ton of orders through the years and this was a first.

20. lucan_g

If the vinyl plays I’ll keep it. Hate the thought of vinyl land fill. But I will let customer service know...in the hope this kind of thing is flagged in the future.

21. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Happened to me once. LP direct from Amazon US, just a label on the shrinkwrap. Amazingly, no damage.

22. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

As others have mentioned, this definitely sounds like the fault of newly hired holiday staff.

polchik likes this.
  23. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

Sounds like a bad case of :The Amazon New Vinyl Blues !

Brenald79 likes this.
  24. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

I had an expensive box set sent from AmzUK to me in Australia with just a sticker on the outside shrink wrap needless to say it arrived damaged and cost Amazon $85 for me to send it back and have it replaced,,,very silly of them!!

ispace likes this.
  25. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

Health care in the US may be deficient, but our Amazon vinyl packaging is first rate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.