Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Glubluk

Glubluk Forum Resident

What I would like them to look for are:
    1. A representative live release of a full concert for each of the major tours (each minor tour would probably be unreasonable, if welcome) not already covered by official releases (DSoT, Pulse, ITAOT, The Man and the Journey). The focus should obviously be on the quality of the recording/performance but such releases would also need to include rare tracks played live (Childhood's End, Sysyphus) - as bonus tracks, if they would have to be culled from sub-par shows.
    2. Whatever unreleased tracks there are in the archieves and I don't mean mono/stereo mixes or edits, I mean genuinely officially unreleased material or radically different versions of officially released songs.

I hoped Queen started doing something in this vein (point 1 above) with their Live at the Rainbow 1974 and Live at the Odeon 1975 (plus some earlier releases such as Queen Rock Montreal), but now - after their News of the World box - I am not sure anymore :/

Of course, I would welcome any competent archival release, but I would like the focus to be on concise (Experience-like, not Immersion-like), to-the-point releases.

One release I would gladly never see reissued in any form whatsoever is The Wall, even though there are indeed tracks in the archives that could be pulled for an official release. I mean, there are so many versions of this material, but still I end up listening to the original album if I'm in the mood for this particular stuff. If I'm to be honest, DSoTM and WYWH are not far behind on my 'enough is enough' list.

Runicen likes this.
  2. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

The RSD release is taken from a bootleg, and not the master tape source in trading circles. Plus nobody is certain exactly where or when it was recorded. So it's no surprise that they threw it out there with no information.

3. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

It's Thompson Private Recording Studio, 31 October 66.

4. WonkyWilly

Probably, yes. But some folks think it might be a totally different demo or a rehearsal recording. Regardless, Floyd probably doesn't know (or care) either way.

5. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Thanks...but I actually meant the individual you provided the particular copy of the audio: a fellow forum member, rontoon.

Hattipper likes this.
  6. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Very sad he's not mentioned on the vinyl sleeve. Ron deserves to be named in the credits.

Hattipper and Six Bachelors like this.
  7. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

They actually never gave me the opportunity to supply them with the best quality for this audio currently in circulation. When the box was being released I asked why this version of IO was left off and sent them this file just as an example. I never thought they would use it for an independent release and found out about it after the fact. My name was left off the TEY box as well and so my days of trying to help them are done.

8. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Ugh... And it's not even like you're a profiteering bootlegger out for a payday. This is a passion project you offered up to them for free. :doh:

9. WonkyWilly

If Chris says it exists, then it exists, along with "Reaction In G" and "Sunshine (No Title)" other things that they totally ignored for the box set.

And the album version is not Syd's version, it's Norman Smith's version.

Chris M, zobalob and hallucalation like this.
  10. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Given we have no recording date for the CBC version ~ and that clearly is a studio demo ~ we may never know. I don't hear that one much discussed as a candidate for 10/31/66, but to my thinking, why not?

11. How IO '66 wasn't offered in any kind of CD configuration, is beyond me (and nearly a crime).

Sure, I'm not thrilled that it wasn't included in the Early Years box -- but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't pony up another $20 for a legit copy on CD. Frickin' love the '66 version of IO - probably more than the version on Piper (and just as much as the London 66/67 version, which is also fantastic).

12. realmdemagic

realmdemagic Forum Resident

I may be alone here, but I think the world already has enough versions of IO.

Big Pasi and Josip like this.
  13. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Btw I was wondering why the band recorded 2 (or more?) tracks at Capitol Studios L.A. in 1968. Those two tracks on Germin/ation are pretty cool, and I wish there's more.
    Probably they were still under contract of Tower Records (sub-label of Capitol) and the executives maybe wanted them to make a single because the first three 45s flopped in the US?
    Or did the band visit Capitol accidentally while they were touring America?

anth67 likes this.
  14. Those two are maybe the two biggest surprises on the entire Early Years set, IMHO. And you're right, the circumstances of their recording are puzzling. If only they'd done 6-8 more tracks at the same session. Not that I'd expect them to be total revelations, but more similar material from that trip would surely be fascinating, especially if they weren't total embryonic demos.

15. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I believe there was recorded more but probably the tapes were wiped later. Or the rest is less interesting and was omitted from the box set.
    Interestingly 'Song 1' later became 'Hollywood' which was re-recorded for the More film. Maybe the band was working on some music for a film project in late 1968 already and tried out some new tracks at Capitol.

16. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Awesome! Now check the vaults for the full thing Floyd!

anth67 likes this.
  17. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Glen Povey's Complete Pink Floyd now lists the session, and notes additional takes but only the two songs, alas. Then again, he assumes the instrumental is a version of "Careful," which EY revealed to be "Song 1" :) I was so hoping for some lost '68 tracks, and those fit the bill perfectly :righton:

How, indeed, did some of these seemingly impromptu studio sessions at foreign studios come about right in the middle of tours? The Stones dropped into Muscle Shoals during the Ya Ya's tour, too, to record "Brown Sugar." The theory of a quick single attempt by the Floyds seems viable, though "Roger's Boogie" ~ much as I love it for what it is ~ wasn't exactly pop songcraft.

andrewskyDE and Rooster_Ties like this.
  18. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

You're wearing out my "like" button Chris. Welcome back my Syd friend.

Shine on

Chris M, zobalob, Hattipper and 4 others like this.
  19. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

'Roger's Boogie' sounds like it was made for some film scene. Otherwise I think they were just experimenting sounds.
    But, IMO, the song nearly got commercial quality. Would fit good to some psychedelic radio show.^^

20. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

The 4
    It is the first of two versions on E68415. Same backing track, radically different, Salvation Army Band performance. Think A Day In The Life. When Norman sternly objected Syd walked out of the session and things were never really the same. His working relationship with Norman Smith was over more or less. Imagine if George Martin refused to induldge John Lennon's wishes for Strawberry Fields?

No brass band for the BBC session which was recorded over 2 months after the studio version.

21. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Cheers old friend.

22. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

My favorite version!

CorporalClegg and Hattipper like this.
  23. I'm leaning towards saying the San Francisco version of I/O is maybe my favorite too. Or at least the most fascinating, with it's simplified 'head' (to borrow a jazz term). Torn between it, and the "London 66/67" version, truth be told.

In any case, the San Francisco version is SO unique -- it's really a crime it hasn't been made available in a more general way.

24. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

After all the London 66/67 version is much more interesting! Yes, this version became more habitual, but what magnificent!

25. Outside The Wall

Outside The Wall Forum Resident

From time to time, with reference to unofficial recordings, and with reference to members of this forum, you can see items such as this:
    "Pink Floyd Amsterdam 1969 (Harvested Version) CD" come up for sale on internet auction sites.

But, I was surprised to see this now available as an item on a well-known internet auction site:
    (and described as Soniclovenoize "The Man and The Journey" studio reconstruction CD):
    [​IMG]

soniclovenoize, JeffMo and Tristero like this.