Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Texas Flood, CStW

David P. Hill likes this.
  2. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

First double title of the One-Step brand, not bad. Still looking for that "one" that will knock
    your socks off....lol!

3. GabeL

GabeL Forum Resident

I'd love to see U2's Joshua Tree get this one-step treatment....or even better, Achtung Baby!!

4. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The White Album, from the original master tapes, pressed on eight 200g one-sided 45 rpm discs, presented with all original inserts ain a sold white embossed box. $999 and limited to one per person. Limited to 5,000 copies, at least until they decide to press more.

5. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Revolver too!

6. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

7. Mainaman

Mainaman Well-Known Member

Groove Note are releasing an old Jacintha album on One Step vinyl,mastered by BG.

It really caught on,didn't it?

BTW,i havent heard any of the Mofi one-steps yet,cant justify more than 100 pounds for an album.And i am not interested in an "investment potential" as i open and play my records.

I have got several new direct to disc releases,though.

And lastly,SRV is already on an AP 45/200 set and separate releases.I know that Bill Evans was too and the Mofi is considered an improvement,but i agree with many other forum members that most of the Ultradisc titles have already been done to death on "audiophile" vinyl.

8. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Awesome that BOTT is confirmed. Still holding out hope for a mono Blonde on Blonde 1 step.

Hgavinyl likes this.
  9. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

so, you buying any or not?

RJJETS likes this.
  10. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

I think there is a good chance that this will be the #10th title in the series...

11. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

Just preordered my copy of BOTW. Now the wait begins...

12. Mainaman

Probably not,not these titles.Would buy the Santana if it gets released again.

I was going to get the Lyn Stanley One-Step,but Fremer's review changed my mind.

13. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

So I have them all on pre-order now. No indication of titles beyond the first nine. Salesman said "Bridge over Troubled Water" was limited to 7,500 copies. He didn't know stats for the rest. He also said one of the titles may be cancelled in the future, but didn't say which one. Here are the catalog numbers from my orders if you are interested...

UD1S 001 Santana - Abraxas
    UD1S 002 Bill Evans Trio - Sunday at the Village Vanguard
    UD1S 003 Donald Fagen - The Nightfly
    UD1S 004 Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge over Troubled Water
    UD1S 005 Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Touble - Texas Flood
    UD1S 006 Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks
    UD1S 007 Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Touble - Couldn't Stand the Weather
    UD1S 008 Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
    UD1S 009 Bill Evans Trio - Portrait in Jazz

ti-triodes, mick_sh and RiRiIII like this.
  14. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I ordered BOTW yesterday over the phone, before they put up the online order link, and I was told I could order all the coming UDS1 titles, including BOTT and What's Going On. So I did ask, with the number of pressings per UDS1 going up for each title so far, what is the expected number for the Stevie Ray, Dylan and Gaye titles, and the salesperson had no clue at this time.

He did tell me, without stating a number, that Music Direct got A LOT of pre-orders on the Simon and Garfunkel title even though it was word of mouth and only by phone.

I actually thought about placing a pre-order for all of the UDS1 titles, but with the "fact" that the last three or so aren't due until possibly 2019, any credit card I would provide would expire (since my cards have current expiration dates in 2019) and when they tried to put the order through it would reject unless I called again to update the new expiration date and 3 digit number on the back of the card.

I still might pre-order just to ensure I get a copy.

One last thing, I did talk to the sales person about the fact that there is some dissension among people that order the UDS1 product from other suppliers and never get their orders. I was told that Music Direct told other retailers that third party stock would be very limited to non-existent and that they (3rd party suppliers) shouldn't offer pre-orders (or not even offer for sale) until they knew exactly what kind of stock they would receive.

I know that sounds sort of backwards, and effectively shut out other retailers from even offering the product, so there really is no easy answer here, other than Music Direct specifically setting aside a certain number UP-FRONT for other retailers and stating with certainty that would be the number the 3rd party seller would receive. So if a title is pressing 7500 (like BOTW), maybe 3000 are not sold by Music Direct, but automatically set aside for other retailers up front. But I guess Music Direct doesn't want to do it that way.

Personally, it doesn't matter to me, since I always order all Mofi product from Music Direct, since I know they will come through on the product.

5-String and jbc777300 like this.
  15. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

Music Direct is doing well with this series. With all stock being sold right away, there is very little "warehousing". Its $100 each revenue with very little (if any) going for discounting or wholesaling. This series will probably continue for a while. Just hope I have the shelf space for one of each...

Jimijam likes this.
  16. Oh good grief, they are Blood on the Tracks and What's going on. I just preordered and I'm sure anyone else can too. Likely not out till 2019 and, if for some reason, they don't happen, the preorder is null and void.

17. irwin69

irwin69 Forum Resident

AtlTrav likes this.
  18. Bigbudukks

Bigbudukks Older, but no wiser.

Just ordered everything after Simon & Garfunkel except Stevie Ray Vaughan. I just never got into his music. I'm getting the other ones for the music so I'm safe as can be. I don't have to worry about whether or not they appreciate on the market.

19. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I'll be doing that Marvin Gaye and 2nd Bill Evans (already preordered BOTW). That'll leave an extra copy of the others inbetween for a lucky purchaser.

20. Sam

Sam Senior Member

How about doing Bowie's Ziggy Stardust on One Step? Killer.

21. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I’m a bit disappointed in the announced titles, with the exception of BOTW, which I think could benefit from this process. Not a SRV fan, and don’t see the point in two titles. MOFI did Marvin Gaye not so long ago and while I know it’s important, I hardly care to listen to it. I guess I need a Blood on the Tracks. Portrait in Jazz is cool, but it’s another Bill Evans title. With a series like this I wish they’d limit it to one per artist. I think they could be slightly more adventurous.

David P. Hill likes this.
  22. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

If you have read through this thread for posts within the last couple of months, you'll get a lot of agreement. But the problem is, when it comes to more "adventurous" titles, they'll also be a bit more esoteric. So what appeals to me may not appeal to you. At $100 per, they need to select titles that will sell a lot and also sound pretty stellar. Would The Motels' 'Only The Lonely' be an interesting title to some? Sure, and it's a wonderfully recorded album. The original was mastered to vinyl by Doug Sax. But how many would that title sell at $100?

Put it another way - You complain that 'What's Going On?' has been done by MoFi a while back (I don't even remember them doing it, but I'll take your word for it.). What popular album that also sounds great hasn't been done before. Part of the equation is whether the 1-Step process/45rpm treatment will render a significant improvement. AND sell 7500 copies!

Abbey Road would make a GREAT title, but it seems as if Universal really wants to hang onto all forms of media releases at this point. Dark Side Of The Moon has not been put out at 45rpm, but there have been attempts at putting it out recently. None as great as original UK Harvests, though. But you'd get many people tired of seeing DSOTM get reissued.

Important jazz titles are one genre that will sell. Sorry you don't want another Bill Evans title, but after Miles Davis, he's probably the next most popular jazz instrumentalist of the modern era. Would an Ella or Sarah album sell? In any event, popular jazz albums will sell. Jazz album producers, like classical and musical theater album producers, put a lot of effort into getting them to sound great. Rock and roll album producers?? GREAT sounding rock and roll records are relatively few and far between.

23. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Wow, can't imagine DSOTM or Abbey Road carved up into four sides!

Bigbudukks and Tommyboy like this.
  24. Mainaman

I agree about the selected titles,especially the two SRV albums,which are still on sale from AP on 45rpm.Really?

I would bite for something like DSOTM,done to death and probably not great a recording to begin with,but considering the latest LP was a major disappointment for me,if they can license it again and get the master tapes,it would sell out in one day,even if they press 10 000.

25. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

You don't like what Bernie Grundman did ?

AtlTrav likes this.