Owner of Jerry's Records (Pittsburgh) sells store

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by npc210, May 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doc021

doc021 Forum Resident

When I was a student at Pitt (mid 80s), I was a frequent visitor to Jerry's as the name moved from Record Graveyard, Garbage records, Jerry's. The original store was located above a Burger King (I believe) on Forbes Ave in the Oakland section of Pittsburgh. It was not very big but there were records literally everywhere and you could spend a whole day going through the bins. All genres. Walk in with $10 walk out with 3 albums and some change. I still have them all. The thing that I most remember is that you would walk up to Jerry or (at the time) Wayne, give a few lyrics or bars of a song whose title was unknown to you and either one would spit out the title, artist and album within seconds of hearing you. The two of them were like the original Shazam or any other music identifying app.

2. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

I was a regular at Jerry's in Squirrel Hill. I used to show up at Heads Together when they had the small place in the building where Jerry's is. It was street level, and then they moved to the "Underground Mall. " "King Larry" and their all night sale the first Saturday of the month. Any three single lps in the store for $6.99...... pipes, papers, posters, waterbeds
    I didn't see anybody mention Flo's Records on Bouquet St in Oakland, or Lew's Virgo Shop on Forward Ave. in Squirrel Hill........ or am I just that old???:yikes:

BTW......Any of you Northsiders remember a small stereo store in Allegheny Center Mall back in the mid to late 70's. I've been trying to remember the name of that place like forever...
    Oh, and PJ McArdle and the Pittsburgh Record Shows.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  3. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Sounds and Seeds in Monroeville. :D

4. schwarcw

schwarcw Forum Resident

I don't remember that place. Sounds like a place that I would visit:agree:

5. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Hep Alien likes this.
  6. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

7. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

So, a few questions regarding the "new" JERRY'S, since I haven't been over there in a year or so. First, is the new owner Chris, the same Chris who used to stock the old 45 section and he kind of looks like B.J. Thomas, or is it a different Chris? Second, since Jerry sold off the 700,000 45 singles that he had, are they still selling "any" 45's anymore or is it literally just LP's now? I mostly buy 45's these days and I happen to be one of those 50 to 60 year olds, that Jerry talked about in the video above, where I have most everything that I want by this point. Only when I get on a new binge, like I have recently with Bing Crosby, who up until a few years ago, I probably could have care less for, outside of a few choice tracks. Thanks to that CD that Steve Hoffman compiled and mastered for MCA years ago, that I finally got a copy of, it has opened a new appreciation of Bing and his many recordings. Collecting music for me, is a funny hobby, as I never really know what I'm looking for, but when I find it and hold it in my hands, there is nothing like THAT feeling. Sadly, the death of local record stores and the trust of sellers on the internet and just what they are selling, have quickly slowed (and damn near have killed), my love of collecting music.

8. Fifth-Chord

Fifth-Chord VG+

They were already starting to curate and sell 45s when I was there early this year. From what I understand, the big push was unloading inventory to have a smaller footprint (lower lease cost) and to re-organize the main floor (not stop selling 45s). They did an excellent job, it really opened up the back part. I would just call and ask before planning a big 7" dig.

On a side note, Bananas Records in Clearwater, Florida has the largest inventory of 45s I've seen since Jerry's.

Hep Alien likes this.
  9. Fifth-Chord

Fifth-Chord VG+

Heck yeah! This is a great quote for a 'Why we dig' documentary.

Chris C likes this.
  10. Chris C

Thanks for the reply regarding Jerry's and I went to Bananas in Florida one time, many, many years ago and I was so overwhelmed, it almost spooked me! I used to get down that way at least once a year, but the next time I go down, I will have to make a point to revisit them!

Fifth-Chord likes this.
  11. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

The Chris who you are referring to that did a lot of the 45s at Jerry’s now runs a record store in the North Hills - it is called Music To My Ear. It’s a really nice clean store.

Northwind and Hep Alien like this.
  12. Chris C

Good to know, thanks for the info!

13. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.