Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - "Wrong Creatures" due 01/12/18

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by slop101, Sep 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek Thread Starter

Bevok, Rocat, PhantomStranger and 3 others like this.
  2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

JPC has a signed vinyl edition of this. One copy per customer. Haven't heard a single note but I ordered it anyway.

3. Mr Mojo

Mr Mojo Forum Resident

I listen to the fantastic new track "Haunt" at least once a day. The best song they have done for a very long time:

And I also eagerly await more info on the deluxe vinyl edition that they said would be available for pre order "soon" back in september.

4. slop101

Didn't love that new song - kinda dull. Hope the rest of the album rocks a bit more.

5. slop101

Special edition looks snazzy, but at $150, a little rich for my blood...

[​IMG]

6. Neonbeam

Well... you have to take into consideration that a custom made Hohner easily is a 40€ item. Problem is, I'm not playing harmonica. And still $150 seems a lot of money for a band that has been more and more becoming a cult act. The last Franz Ferdinand album also had a ridiculously priced deluxe version, "The Passport" edition, limited to 500. And if I remember correctly it retailed at around 200€. Prices came down big time on Discogs.

So I'm fine with my signed JPC edition.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  7. slop101

That's what I ordered as well, but my German isn't very strong, so I hope I ordered it. Lol.

Neonbeam likes this.
  8. Mr Mojo

Mr Mojo Forum Resident

I love BRMC and was really looking forward to a limited vinyl, but this was just too much over the top.

Wtf.

Neonbeam likes this.
  9. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Who cut the vinyl?

10. Mr Mojo

Mr Mojo Forum Resident

Listened to the album twice now, and it's really, really good.

11. Neonbeam

My signed copy is on it's way and after all this time I'm really looking forward to listening to a new BRMC release.

12. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I’ve ordered the standard vinyl. Can’t justify $150 for 3 more tracks on a cassette and a harmonica (especially when they don’t even state what key the harmonica is in)

It’s a shame as they are usually really generous with bonus tracks and I was hoping for a studio version of Bandug Hum.

Has anybody got their vinyl yet? Is the download card flac or mp3? If it’s mp3 I’ll get the 24/44 version from Qobuz

veon likes this.
  13. Teufelzkerl

Teufelzkerl Forum Resident

I'm through the first half and not really moved so far, expected far more from the long absence. Sounds tired without one great rocker, let's hear the second part.

14. spintheblack72

spintheblack72 Forum Resident

My Wife's been a fan since the first album came out before we met (we met in Aug 2002).

We've seen them live 4 times now, last time was on the last tour in the Leeds UK lasy year where we live and this was the strongest we'd seen them since our first time some eight or more years ago at the Assembly Rooms in Leamington Spa Warwickshire where we used to live before we moved to leeds Sept 2010.

We both really enjoyed the new tracks we heard live, I think it was around 5 and the band seemed in great spirits and really knocked the classics out the park.

I'm not as a big fan but have grown to like them more and more and really enjoyed Specter At The Feast, I pre ordered the standard vinyl from the BRMC website and it was dispatched yesterday so hopefully it might drop today or tomorrow.

I did notice the new tracks do seem quite slow with a dark edge but that didn't bother me. I will look forward to giving them a spin on the RP3, especially as I'm off to my local Hi-fi retailer to purchase a Audio Technica VM530EN to replace my Elys 2 , it's 4 years + old and has been on the deck since I purchased it December 2013.

Crazyhorse11 likes this.
  15. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

It’s different for them, for sure. Sounds a bit like Lou Reed channeling Joy Division.

Not that that’s a bad thing...

16. Teufelzkerl

Teufelzkerl Forum Resident

So after first listen it's not really overwhelming to me. "Little Thing" is grabbing and stands out as the only uptempo rocker, "Haunt" is cool and will grow with more listening I guess, "Circus Bazooko" is kind of different for them and quite good, and I like the instrumental intro a lot. All in all it's a dark and brooding release in the vein of "Specter" and very slow. Would've liked a more rocking approach again, it's missing the "Rebel" too much.

17. Mr Mojo

Mr Mojo Forum Resident

The download code in the vinyl is for mp3's.

18. Mr Mojo

Mr Mojo Forum Resident

When I heard "Cirus Bazooko" the first time I thought of The Doors. The keyboards are very Manzarek.

"Haunt" has been a favorite for some time now, but "Echo", "Ninth Configuration" and "Question of Faith" really got to me after a couple of spins. Not really a fan of "Little Thing Gone Wild" (yet) unfortunately.

19. slop101

Hopefully it's a grower, but even then, it's not gonna dethrone Baby 81 as my favorite BRMC record, not that I expected it to.

Neonbeam and Teufelzkerl like this.
  20. I'll give this one a shot, haven't been moved by their last couple of albums and have really fallen off listening to them since Baby 81. Everything since then has sounded too same-y too me while lacking the hooks of the earlier material, and so if it sounds same-y I'd rather just go back to the earlier, stronger material. Will give them another try though!

James Bennett and Mr Mojo like this.
  21. Neonbeam

I really hated it when that album was cd only because it was sooooo loooong. Bought the belated vinyl edition and all the session eps but by then I wasn't really listening to BRMC anymore. Even though I kept buying their albums. Need to revisit this stuff in the next couple of weeks.

Mr Mojo likes this.
  22. Mr Mojo

Mr Mojo Forum Resident

My number one BRMC album as well.

James Bennett likes this.
  23. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Matrix for the US LP, not sure if the EU is the same...

• Matrix / Runout (Side A etched): BH00440-01 A2 COOP010LP
    • Matrix / Runout (Side B etched): BH00440-01 B1 COOP010LP
    • Matrix / Runout (Side C etched): BH00440-02 C1 COOP010LP
    • Matrix / Runout (Side D etched): BH00440-02 D1 COOP010LP

24. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

Totally spot on IMO

25. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Listened to the whole thing this morning, and I think it's a really good record. Reminiscent of the debut quite often. Though I can't stand the Circus Bazooky song, terrible!

I'd say Baby 81 is easily my least favorite record of theirs. Beat The Devil's Tattoo and Spectre At The Feast were both far better, IMO.

friendofafriend and thewolfshead like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.