Original/Unaltered "Star Wars" Trilogy on Blu-Ray in 2017

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bowie Fett, Feb 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Correct. They won't until the Fox deal clears. Then they will own it lock, stock and barrel.

2. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Oh, they'd find a way...

marblesmike likes this.
  3. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

And I expect that is when - like Vidiot said - they'll start working on it. I mean why not? It's a chance to rake in some major money. Maybe they'll wait until after they do the Han Solo movie and the Obi Wan movie. But I'm confident it will happen. For now, there are the 2004 Special Edition DVD sets that have the unaltered versions. I'm not sure what we're allowed to talk about here but I think there are some really well done fan edits floating around on the web too. I won't say where to get them.

Vidiot likes this.
  4. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Of course, there will be the issue of which of the soundtracks it should have. I personally loved the mono "Open the blast doors, open the blast doors.... Close the blast doors, close the blast doors!" joke (or maybe it was the reverse), but, yeah it will be one of the newer soundtracks and people will complain.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The surprise on this was that the mono mix was the last one done for Star Wars, because the 6-track was first, followed by the Dolby Surround mix. During that period, Lucas and the sound editors found little mistakes and things they opted to change, so "in theory," the mono mix was the best version they could do, about 2-3 weeks after they started post-production. I know of cases on other films where further fixes happened for the initial home video & TV mix as well.

Simon A and will_b_free like this.
  6. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

Who knows? If they still have the original 70mm film copies, maybe they'll release it on 4K and remix all the audio for Dolby Atmos and package it together in a big collector box set. I feel like Star Wars is a movie that would benefit from Dolby Atmos or DTS:X.

7. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Looks to me like it would be made for Dolby Atmos.
    I mean, in the first minute of the movie there is a Star Destroyer passing overhead for chrissakes. :laugh:

(BTW, the 70mm is just a blownup copy from the original 35mm negative, better use the latter)

Vidiot likes this.
  8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And of course, if they do that, the fans will complain "oh, they're changing the mix again!" :sigh:

That is absolutely true. There's no element better to use for a film like this for scanning than the original 35mm camera negative. There are some small pieces that will have to be assembled from IP or some kind of dupe, because they got cut out from the OCN or damaged. But they can reconform the entire thing from scratch to exactly match the original release if they want to spend the time and money.

PhantomStranger and marblesmike like this.
  9. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Not if the original mixes are there alongside the Atmos remix. The original mixes should be present, they are iconic.

Simon A and BeatleJWOL like this.
  10. hanshotfirst1138

hanshotfirst1138 Well-Known Member

I've had patience for twenty damn years.

I've always assumed this depends on the director.

11. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Star Wars from '77 has at least three original mixes. I don't see that happening

12. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Because putting more than 2 audio tracks on a Blu-Ray is craaaazy and has never been done? :laugh:
    The fans "restorations" have already done it.
    You have the mono mix, the Dolby stereo mix and the 6-tracks mix for the original cut of '77 Star Wars.
    But I see what you mean, they probably won't do it. It's a rare occurence when they put the original mix alongside a modern remix.

SamS likes this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I would only include the old mixes with the old version of the movies.

Kirk76, budwhite and Plan9 like this.
  14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

This is why you don't get these kinds of jobs- you want to do things that make sense. Stop that immediately!

:)

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Derek Gee, Kiko1974 and Plan9 like this.
  16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that would be nice, but we'll see!

17. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Would be cool to see Ben get "Crowdfunding" for his project to complete a documentary on "designing sound" or his other passion "The Space programs"

Vidiot likes this.
  18. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

And a couple foreign language tracks, possibly a descriptive track for the visually impaired (which I strongly believe should be 5.1 since audio is what the sight-impaired are able to enjoy, you know?), and we end up with a disc with only a degraded bitrate available for the visuals.

Maybe a deluxe box set could include an extra disc with the film (again) with the 1977 mono mix and the 1977 Dolby stereo mix - since those mixes would appeal to the fanatical fan, while any surround mix (provided on the main disc) would be the go-to choice for most of the general public.

19. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Which mix has the alternate Aunt Beru voice?

20. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

That's what I was thinking.

21. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Mono, I think.

22. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

They should hire Harmy for the continuity, I doubt anyone else knows the intimate details of the original cuts better than him!

andrewskyDE and BeatleJWOL like this.
  23. If the Disney deal goes through, it will become [​IMG]

24. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

How about Fantasia? What does that have?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.