Metallica "And Justice For All" Box Set Anticipation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sons of nothing, Nov 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Pretty much, that's it in a nutshell. And with the "homemade remix" already out there, one's curiosity is kinda satisfied to begin with.

toddrhodes and Cooks420 like this.
  2. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Probably - from what I have heard, the actual homemade remix with bass (not the remix where some random dude recorded a bass track) was a bit busy for the songs - at least that was my first impression. Nevertheless, I'd still like the opportunity to listen to an official remixed version presented alongside the original mix.

3. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

I am used to hearing the mix as it is. When I first heard the version with the bass in the mix on Youtube, I didn't dig it as much! Sorry Jason! :hide:

Cooks420 likes this.
  4. hotsoup

hotsoup Forum Resident

I'm sure the re-mixes that are out there in the wild, such as on Youtube, are just Rock Band/Guitar Hero tracks folded back down to stereo. There's probably no real mixing or mastering involved, so that could be why what you're hearing sounds a little crude.

sunking101, Merrick and hi_watt like this.
  5. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

I hope they get rid of the "woofing" bass sound.

The Garage Days EP (shortly before this album was recorded) is better than anything they've ever recorded IMO.

Greenalishi and Larry L like this.
  6. Rudi

Rudi Forum Resident

Would love to see the full Hammersmith Odeon 1988 Film on Blu Ray. Awesome performance.

steveharris and FourWalledWorld like this.
  7. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Already the best sounding Metallica album.

Come at me! :wantsome:

pinkrudy, Kiss73 and hi_watt like this.
  8. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Yep, that's true. The samples provided are a bit goosed up.

tkl7 likes this.
  9. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

IIRC the remixes using the GH stems purposefully bumped the bass in order to highlight it. That’s not the same thing as a properly mixed and balanced version of the album.

And to me, despite growing up with the record, it’s always sounded wrong, especially if you okay it right after finishing MoP.

Personally I think it’s petty and selfish of Metallica to hold onto those tracks and not let them be heard.

10. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

My first show too. Due to a serious problem at work I was under a bit of cloud at the time (I had to inform the police that I was leaving town for the night!!!!), but the band managed to lift my spirits!!! Amazing show, and I need better than the exceedingly crap mp3 I subsequently found!

coffeetime likes this.
  11. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

This.
    I love Justice as it is. Been living with it since 1988. I don't want it to be different :)

Chad75 likes this.
  12. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

It was an amazing show. The intensity and precision of the band on stage at that point really was something to behold!

13. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

Just give me a great sounding complete concert on vinyl.
    A proshot concert that doesnt have a cuts every 5 seconds.
    some outtakes
    maybe the bass mix to shut everyone else up

and im good.

hi_watt likes this.
  14. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

Just jumping in to follow the thread. Peace!

hi_watt likes this.
  15. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

I think adding the bass to this album would almost be like adding the bass to "When Doves Cry"; it just wouldn't sound right. As some have argued, it'd be nice as an oddity but most of us would return to the original mix.

The tour for this album is still one of my favorite shows ever. It may be chalked up to being a teenager at the time but it just blew me away.

mark renard likes this.
  16. Jaap74

Jaap74 Forum Resident

hi_watt likes this.
  17. iworkatinitech

iworkatinitech Forum Resident

I'll join the party of people seeking a proper remix of this album, as it has always been my favorite Metallica album but over time sounds like a juvenile recording without the low-end. I guess I understand the "hazing" idea behind the original recording but what blows me away is that they have never released, subsequently, a properly mixed version of this album. I tend not to enjoy the Metallica live boots/shows mostly because the timing tends to speed up on almost all of their shows when they play live, which is ironic in light of how great a drummer Lars is and it's his job (amongst other things) to keep time.

Gila likes this.
  18. Jaap74

Jaap74 Forum Resident

Lots of bands play faster live than on their albums

hi_watt likes this.
  19. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

Well, think of it this way: releasing a “properly mixed version of the album” would be an admission that the official release was wrong, and Lars is a man who never wants to be wrong. Hell, I’m surprised he made fun of himself for recording the worst snare sound in history on St. Anger.

20. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I agree with your statement. But, if it is truly about the fans, let us decide with our wallets. This is the one album in Metallica's cannon that I really wanted a re-mix. Just to see how they viewed their attempts on the first one. I really like what they did with Kill Em' All.

21. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

The remix will absolutely sell, for sure. In fact, I’m fairly certain if they released 25,000 units of an ultra-mega box set that exclusively contained the remix priced at double the normal box set price, it would be gone in an instant.

But I don’t know how much stubborn pride still exists within the Metallica camp, and whether the fans’ desire for a remix can match or trump that.

In this particular case - with this particular record and this band - the mix of AJFA has always been an issue. Again, you’re essentially requesting Metallica to correct a perceived “mistake” (or “preference,” from their perspective) concerning one of the greatest metal albums of all time. That’s asking a lot! And our money may simply not be a heavily-weighted factor in their decision.

22. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

I haven’t seen Metallica living since Live **** - does Lars still not play with an IEM click track?

23. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

The fan-made "remix" online sure sounds right (ie better) to me! I'm with those here who say they love the songs on AJFA but don't play it much because of the sound. No need to replace the original mix, just throw in a good remix on the reissue. I understand that will likely not happen, but without it I'll pass on the box.

iworkatinitech and Todd W. like this.
  24. This!

I don’t want the original mix replaced- I would also like an alternate version included. It would be an instant buy for me.

25. hiddman

hiddman Forum Resident

AJFA was my first Metallica album. I wore the cassette out and have been a fan ever since. Although it was my introduction to Metallica count me as one that would absolutely enjoy an official remix of the album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.