Beatles 1966 Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jwb1231970, Nov 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Thanks. I didn't think any "big" acts from the USA or UK toured South America in the 1960s or 1970s.

DrBeatle and Crimson Witch like this.
  2. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

This thread reminds me of a book that recently came out called Beatles ‘66.

Anyone read that? I assume it goes into details about the tour and not just the making of Revolver.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  3. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

I was watching the June 24th show (or what's left of it) and I think it's pretty much a train wreck and I've been in a train wreck so I don't take the expression lightly!
    Looks like a combination of lack of rehearsal and being stoned which doesn't seem to have helped them enjoy the experience any more than they normally would. Even though they're being filmed for TV they just don't care anymore and that includes Paul who messes up lyrics left, right and centre including Yesterday which is pants, I'm Down is a real group effort in terms of the shambles, oh man it's bad. Still, I wish the rest of the show existed ! I'm assuming that what we have left are the "good bits". From memory the best track was Nowhere Man which was just dreary. Compare that to their performances of This Boy in late 63 early 64 when faced with the mania. Uniformly superb but by 1966 it's all over bar the screaming. It would be terrific if a good quality / good performance 1966 concert turned up. I don't feel optimistic that there was one.

4. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

I don’t think they played a show in Beirut - wasn’t it just a meet and greet while the plane refuelled?

The Kinks did play one show in Beirut on May 17th 1969.

5. Arnold Grove

Correct. The Beatles did NOT play in Beirut. But in June 1964 their plane stopped in Zurich, Beirut, Karachi, Calcutta, and Bangkok on the way to Hong Kong.

The Kinks did indeed play at the Melkart Hotel (a HOTEL!!) in Beirut in May 1969.

6. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Forum Reconstructor

I remember reading in one of my Beatle books that a couple of shows in Brazil were discussed for '66, but the military dictatorship and the lack of a sponsor for it had them forget about it

Tarpt40 and Crimson Witch like this.
  7. mrgroove01

mrgroove01 Still looking through bent-backed tulips

This is my sentiment as well regarding the ‘66 shows. All four of them display uneven performances and varying degrees of disinterest in performing cohesively as a live act. For me, it’s a depressing experience listening to anything live from that year.

8. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I'd go with Candlestick. Their most inspired performance of those I have heard, probably as they knew that was it. Also clearly the most historic. Plus I would more likely remember it as I had tuned 1 by then.

Realistically I wish my parents had taken to the Philly one right around my first birthday. My kids saw Ringo around that age (and another time since so that they can have the memories not just the statistic).

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  9. brianvargo

brianvargo Senior Member

To my ears, the Candlestick show is very, very good; certainly, it's the best '66 show I've heard. If only a complete "Long Tall Sally" would turn up, even in lousy sound quality...

10. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Isn't it incredible how much things changed between 1966 and 1967.
    I always thought that that it was incredible how much of a leap forward "Revolver" was in relation to their 1966 stage presentation. There they were in their matching suits, just as they had been doing since 1962. The whole formula was very soon to be seen as old hat. Yesterday's thing.
    As the year closed, Cream released their first album and Hendrix was blowing minds in the London clubs and charting with "Hey Joe"/"Stone Free". How the world changed coming into 1967. I don't think there has ever been such a cultural shift (punk came close in 76/77).

11. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Aaaah, maybe that's it. Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  12. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

You and me are on the same page in regards to 66 and Twickingham.

George just didn't want to play live with the Beatles, is my take, and John too.
    That said, I think the reasons changed a little between 66 and 70.. Concert production had taken quantum leaps in those years. I'm not sure anybody was using house PA's at baseball parks for concerts in 1970. The Beatles hurt themselves as players leaving the road, and it's a shame it had to happen. I can't say I blame them. That said, they got off lazy with their 20-30 minute live sets.
    The Stones over time got really good at 2 hour sets. It was a learning curve though as evidenced by the really bad Hyde park set.

Crimson Witch and longdist01 like this.
  13. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

The Japanese concerts are all over the place too. The guitars sound out of tune.

DrBeatle and Crimson Witch like this.
  14. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

Genesis played South America in 1977.

Svetonio, DrBeatle and Crimson Witch like this.
  15. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

He said "hope."

16. Arnold Grove

I was responding to the post that said: "They're both out on Blu ray (unofficially), with the Shea being the better of them."

So I believe that person confused the 1965 Shea concert, which was pro shot (for the TV special shown originally in 1966-67) and is available unofficially, and the 1966 Shea gig, which was NOT pro shot and has remarkably very little footage at all.

17. Arnold Grove

Interesting. Do you know how many shows and/or what countries?

18. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I don't think the German or Japan 66 footage is that bad of performances. I get enjoyment out of it as Beatle performances. It would be pretty hard to nail "Nowhere man" vocals with PA equipment in those days. There are as well some bad vocal moments on "Paperback writer", which are embarrassing, to be honest. I think PW vocals are a little easier to nail. Something you work out in rehearsal. 66 tour shows how the studio work was becoming increasingly difficult to perform live. In later years this became a bother to at least a couple members, when they attempted to go back to a stripped down approach, trying to be a real band again. They had a, "whoever has the tune on whatever instrument, plays it" approach, which is difficult to translate live. They could of done a few revolver or White album song's live well, with the work put in.

DrBeatle likes this.
  19. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

There was a guy here a couple of years ago who claimed to have an alternate source recording for the Candlestick Park show with a complete "Long Tall Sally"...don't who what happened with the guy or his recording.
    Here y'go:
    South American leg
    10 May 1977 Porto Alegre Brazil Ginásio Gigantinho
    11 May 1977
    14 May 1977
    2 Shows

Rio de Janeiro Ginásio do Maracanãzinho
    15 May 1977
    2 Shows

18 May 1977 São Paulo Anhembi Convention Center
    19 May 1977
    21 May 1977
    2 Shows

Ginásio do Ibirapuera
    22 May 1977
    2 Shows

As I recall one of those '77 South American Genesis shows was cut short because Michael Rutherford wasn't felling well. Soundboard recordings circulate for a couple of 'em as well, I believe.

20. Arnold Grove

So really a Brazilian tour. But it counts.

DrBeatle and ohnothimagen like this.
  21. Bill

Bill Senior Member

It's a great book, the underlying theme being that 1966 was a critical year, not for studio output (only Revolver), but from the intense activities in which each Beatle was involved, bringing those experiences and insights back to the others in 1967 and beyond. With the termination of touring and Sgt. Pepper's sessions, they were a new band, and the book's month-by-month analysis of what they were each up in 1966 explains why.

lobo and JeffMo like this.
  22. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Sorry. S'all good, man.

23. BeatlesBootlegsFan

BeatlesBootlegsFan Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2017
    Bullis, JoeRockhead, owsley and 2 others like this.
  24. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

For Tokyo, they played five shows at the Budokan over three days. That was probably preferable to playing five different shows in five different cities.

DrBeatle likes this.
  25. Arnold Grove

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.