Disney buys some assets of 21st Century Fox?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I can think of 52 billion reasons why.

I'm not convinced they give a crap. It's all about De Money.

It may well be that Disney will use the Fox brand name to sell R-rated projects and other "adult-oriented" fare that doesn't quite fit the Disney "family friendly" name. Don't forget, Katzenberg & Eisner started Touchstone Pictures with the same idea in the late 1980s. I don't see why they couldn't have a hands-off plan in regards to content for Fox Studios. If the shows and films are making money, why tamper with it?

BTW, don't forget this still has to be approved by the Justice Department. And the deal doesn't officially happen until June 2018.

scobb, kouzie, CrazyCatz and 3 others like this.
  2. Wes Anderson writes it into his contract for every movie he directs. If a studio is unwilling to license out the film to Criterion, they don't get Wes Anderson in the first place.

3. On a completely different note, everyone is drawing Mickey Mouse and The Simpsons, but has anybody drawn a fox with Mickey? A new character maybe: Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Horace Horse, Freddy Fox maybe? What was the name of the fox from Zootopia? I've forgotten.....

4. I'd give it a couple more years than you but I largely concur. Disney's masterplan is to ensure every household in America feels like it has to subscribe to their monthly streaming service.

Physical media simply doesn't fit into that paradigm. I suspect they'll put out extremely limited disc releases for the diehard collectors willing to pay any price, but this deal represents the beginning of the end for home video as we know it.

bmasters9 and dbsea like this.
  5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yeah, probably furries.

6. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

There's Br'er Fox from Song of the South, and Tod from The Fox and the Hound, and Robin Hood from Robin Hood...

KatCassidy likes this.
  7. Now how could I forget The Fox And The Hound? For some reason, though, I always forget that their Robin Hood was a fox, I just knew he was an animal.....

8. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Well, help me out here...was it Oswald, or Early Silent Mickey who looked as much like a fox, as what it was intended to look like?

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I was waiting for a Variety headline that said:

Mouse Gobbles Fox

or words to that effect. No luck so far.

KatCassidy and sunspot42 like this.
  10. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

That's nonsense, with all due respect. There is a massive film community that buys physical product on HD discs and only a fraction of that is Disney and affiliated stuff.

11. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

You're thinking of the Warner Bros. ripoff.
    [​IMG]

12. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Oh, wow... They weren't even subtle...

OldSoul likes this.
  13. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

Yes. Finally I can take the kids to see X-Men on Ice.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I know you're joking but now that you mention it, I am 100% sure this will happen and it will probably do just as well as the regular Disney On Ice shows (I.E: very well!). :)

Juan Matus likes this.
  15. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

There's already a touring Marvel show, so doing a touring ice show seems like a no-brainer.

Homepage | Marvel Universe Live

16. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I just want to be able to come back to this in 2020. I have around 700 blu-ray and 50 4K|HDR. Predicting I'll have at least 500 4K/HDR by 2020 and that releases will keep coming for several years thereafter.

I do suppose that by 2030 or so that enormous hard drives will be the front end for home theaters such as mine. Physical disc will die someday, but it's down the line a good bit!

17. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

In the future, all restaurants will be Taco Bell and all entertainment will be Disney.

18. Dillydipper

But, that's Foxy, right? And yes, when you compare him, Mickey and Mortimer, they're all dippin' from the same inkwell, if ya know what I mean. I was actually thinking about the earliest Mickey sketches, with a more canine-esque snout, and the 5 o'clock shadow, and some extra wayward hair here and there more akin to a mongrel-character, like one sees in a cartoon wolf...or, fox. And later on, when an actual Mortimer is finally introduced, he's taller than Mickey or Minnie, and more skeezy-looking, evolved probably a step further from marsupial to canine:

EdgardV likes this.
  19. Dillydipper

So long as all entertainment won't be Taco Bell, I think we're safe...

20. All Rights

All Rights Senior Member

With six-hundred something episodes over 3 decades and the imagination of so many writers, this type of thing seems almost endlessly possible.

There are also many subtle jokes and props, such as signs and billboards, that if you don't pay close attention, you'll miss.

I'm sure there are more but who's got time to pour over every show.
    How 'The Simpsons' keeps predicting the future - CNN

Grand_Ennui and Vidiot like this.
  21. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Ah, ok.
    I'm SHOCKED Mortimer only appeared in one classic sketch. I guess watching House of Mouse growing up distorted my understanding of how much he was in.

22. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Wait, what? The lot, as in the physical 20th Century Fox studio? I thought that's going to Disney.

dan c

23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

No, I don't think they really have a need for it.

24. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Nope. Presumably the Fox remnant will sell off that property for a bazillion dollars. With so much production having moved out of Los Angeles to Vancouver and elsewhere that probably won't have much of an impact to the business, but lots of people are gonna be outta work.

25. Dillydipper

That's okay - just so long as the new owners make a kajillion dollars in new condos...