Marantz PM8005 or Yamaha A-S801/A-S701

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by nola27, Dec 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nola27

nola27 Active Member Thread Starter

well I'm pretty sure Iv'e narrowed down my choices between these integrated. like I said before in another thread I have a Yamaha RX-770 from the mid- 90's which is ok but just would like to get a newer integrated approx. $800-$900 range, no more. Iv'e pretty much read everything I could on the net about these integrated amps but was wondering if anyone has had a chance to hear these side by side. one thing is I don't need a DAC. I already have that covered. my speakers are the original Nola Boxers. I'm just a 2 channel man and listen to cd's and streaming music only. thanks for any help.

sixthstreet likes this.
  2. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

Sorry, I haven't heard the Marantz, but I can vouch for the the Yamaha integrateds - very fine pieces of equipment.

3. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

Curious to hear the responses as well since I am debating between these choices as well for a 2nd system to be used with a pair of Mirage OM-8 omnipolar speakers. I'm leaning towards the Marantz but not 100% committed yet.

4. james

james Summon The Queen

Subscribed. I’ve been downsizing and want a one box solution. It’s between these and a used Parasound Halo integrated

5. Helom

Helom Forum member

IME, for half the price of a used Halo, you can have about 90% of the sound quality with the Yamaha.

bluemooze and lonelysea like this.
  6. james

james Summon The Queen

interesting, thanks. you've heard both?

7. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

I've had recent integrated amps from both manufacturers, and have stuck with Yamaha. Since you don't need a DAC I assume you're really looking at the 701, not the 801? They both have DACs, but the 801's is more capabale and has USB.

You really have to listen t0 both for yourself. Can't you buy them both and return one? Even if you're buying online the return shipping charge might be worth the hit for peace of mind. Just consider it a rental fee!

BTW, Amazon currently has a "like new" black 701 in stock for $572...

8. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

The 801 or the 701?

9. Lebowski

Also, if you truly don't need a DAC, you might want to look into a pre-owned Rogue Sphinx.

Fritz Fernow likes this.
  10. Lebowski

Sound quality should be the same for both. Only difference is the 801 has a better DAC.

11. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

I have only heard Yamaha AS700 (the previous model) vs Marantz PM8005, and there was no comparison - the 8005 was definitely higher level.

12. Minty_fresh

Minty_fresh Forum Resident

I had the AS-501 and found it sterile. I now have a PM6005 and really like it. Hell, I don’t use the loudness button and DO use the Source Direct button, which are firsts!

bradleyc likes this.
  13. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

the -01 series was a significant step up for the Yamahas.

delmonaco likes this.
  14. Bananas&blow

When I called Crutchfield I was looking at these two models. They recommended the A-s801 saying it was a standout in the price range. Neutral sound with tight snappy satisfying bass. I've been thrilled with my Yamaha and can't recommend it highly enough for the cost. Since you don't need a DAC I'd say the 701 is the choice. But it is nice to have a high quality built in one for only $100 more.

Robert C, Rolltide, bluemooze and 7 others like this.
  15. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I'd have thought that the the Yamaha AS1000/2000 would be a better face-off

16. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Yes, I never listened to any of them, but the reviews I saw stated that they sound superior and quite different to the 700 series, and more in the same league with Marantz PM8005...but I really don't know about the newest generations Yamaha amps - may be the 701/801 is an improvement.

17. nola27

most likely but a little hard to come by these days. I think they were replaced by the AS1100/2100? a bit above my funds but sure would be nice!

18. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

True, but check out new old stock specials for good deals that are available from time to time?

Bill Mac likes this.
  19. nola27

yep being doing that, maybe some will pop up after the new year or maybe they have some plans for new models coming out?

20. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

PM8005 is much better amp than 701 or 801.

Regards

21. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

The Yamaha WXA 50 is a little gem. Versatile too.

22. HankM

HankM Senior Member

I have a PM8004 and really like it. Sounds a lot more powerful than its 75 wpc. Solid build quality and the speaker connectors are the finest Ive ever used.

BDC and bradleyc like this.
  23. Bananas&blow

So far we have the following tally:

Marantz 4 votes
    Yamaha 4 votes.

Glad we could clear that up for you. Perhaps this means you will be happy with either one :).

24. irender

irender Forum Resident

I vote Yamaha. Tie breaker.

George P and Bananas&blow like this.
  25. Lebowski

Also, if you're not in a hurry, keep in mind that Amazon's prices will fluctuate sharply. In November 2016 I bought my 701 for $511. That was for a brand new one. (I also applied $106 AmEx membership rewards points, bringing my purchase price down to approx. $400!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.