Marantz PM8005 or Yamaha A-S801/A-S701

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by nola27, Dec 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pickoid

Pickoid Forum Resident

I just had this same conundrum, and I went with the Yamaha 801 since Yamaha has never let me down. I got the Elac B6 speakers, and it is a really swell combo. Loving the USB DAC, no regrets for the $100 upcharge over the 701.

BuddhaBob and Helom like this.
  2. Helom

Helom Forum member

I own the A-S500 and owned the Halo.

james likes this.
  3. Helom

Helom Forum member

I doubt you'd go wrong with either. I've heard the Marantz at a dealer. Sounded great with their B&W speakers even though I'm not a huge B&W fan. I think the Marantz has a little better chassis quality, but the loudness control of the Yamahas can come in handy. The Marantz sounded more like the Parasound Halo: plenty of "body," but just a tad less realistic in the treble region.

DrZhivago likes this.
  4. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Shel, BDC, nola27 and 2 others like this.
  5. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I was looking at the as801 and ended going Outlaw rr2160...
    Pleased with the decision.....but it's a receiver, not integrated....

6. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

nola27 likes this.
  7. nola27

nola27 Active Member Thread Starter

well as I appreciate all of the great advise from ya'll, I'm starting to lean toward the PM8005 camp. the main reason is because I do own a Yamaha RX-770 receiver (25 yrs. old) and when I compare the specs they are pretty much identical except its 85w opposed to the A-S801 thats 100w. I'm pretty sure they would have a very similar signature sound. so, it would be cool to compare the PM8005 for a different "flavor" plus I'll have the 30 day return policy if I choose to send it back.

8. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

I have the 8004. I have not heard yamaha except for a 2x35w "natural sound" integrated that I had bought late 90s.
    The marantz is refined, soft, on the warm side of neutral in comparison to some Adcom, NAD and Arcam Alpha series I have had in the past.
    The Yamaha that I have is leaner and brighter in comparison, and has less power.
    You're making a no-brainer short list in my view: Japanese know hi-fi, and they know how to build durable, refined, good sounding equipment... My Adcom, NAD, Arcam all died within 1 to 3 years, while my 22 years old yamaha integrated still plays like new. The 8400 is now 6 years old, runs all the time and plays like on day 1.
    I can say the same thing on my yamaha dvd and blu-ray players.
    Is their a way you can try both and decide?
    The Marants does not come with a DAC, but does it really matter when even bottom tiers cd players and blu-ray come with already state of the art DACs.

I think one thing to consider here -beside sound signature- is the fact that the Marantz has a toroidal (doughnut) transformer while the yamaha has a conventional type.

HankM likes this.
  9. Helom

Helom Forum member

Which is often inferior, depending on the implementation.

10. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

That 25 year old receiver will sound nothing like the A-s801. I have a 2014 flagship model Yamaha HT receiver that sold new for $1500 that sounds noticeably inferior to my A-s801. Both the Marantz and the Yamaha integrated amps will best your 25 year old receiver as well as my newer Yamaha receiver.

Specs mean very little when it comes to sound quality. You can spend $5000 on a 30 watts per channel tube amp.
    One trait of the Yamahas that gets a lot of press the bass. One measure of the ability of the amp to control the woofers is the damping factor. The 8005 has a damping factor of 100. The A-s801 has a damping factor of 240.

When I first played "width of a circle" by David Bowie on the Yamaha it blew me away. The bass leapt from the speaker. Enjoy the Marantz. It will be a significant upgrade from your receiver. When I got my Parasound A-21 with a damping factor of 1100, I knew I had entered a new level of sound quality. Bass was not boomy. Bass sounded like whatever instrument was producing the sound. But that's a topic for another thread.

George P, BuddhaBob and nola27 like this.
  11. Bananas&blow

Negative ghost rider.

12. PhilJol

PhilJol Forum Resident

I own a PM8004 have not heard the Yamaha. The Marantz has very good inner detail and dynamic range.

I find it to be neutral and very nice sounding with Maggie MG12 and Sound Dynamics 300ti.

I really wonder how it would compare with an older Plinius amp I used to own (8200 I think) it would be pretty close is my guess (just a guess) but it is that good imo.

HankM and nola27 like this.
  13. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

I disagree. The difference between a damping factor of 50 and 1000 is so tiny it is a non-factor. Below 50 it starts to be an issue and at 10 it's nasty.

An amp I had many years ago that shall remain nameless proudly proclaimed a damping factor of 1000. It had some of the worse bass control I've experienced. An amp I have now lists the damping factor at <200 with iron fisted bass control.

14. Bananas&blow

Fine, just buy whichever one is heavier.

TerryB and lonelysea like this.
  15. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

Thanks for sharing!

16. nola27

I have read that Plinius is a good match for Nola Boxers. would be a great comparison although a tad out of my price range.

PhilJol likes this.
  17. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

Oh, come on, don't leave us hanging! It was a McIntosh, wasn't it?
    :p

18. nola27

well, I did a 360 today. after hem-hawing around, looking and thinking I ordered a Yamaha A-S801. the real deciding factor was that I just liked the looks of the Yamaha better. I ordered the silver one and should get it by the end of the week. again, thanks to all of you for the help and experience.

19. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

Let us know your impressions. I am thinking about the Rega Brio-R after further research but still on the fence.

nola27 likes this.
  20. sixthstreet

sixthstreet Forum Resident

I felt the same the first few months I had mine. But then I realized it was accurate and pretty revealing and detailed. I've come to like mine a lot. It's in the tee-vee room connected to Advent Econowaves. My main stereo amp setup is an LTA MZ2 preamp feeding a First Watt F6, just so you know I might not have cloth ears. I listen to classical mostly, so bear that in mind. That said, I just listened to some Feelies the other night and it rocked just fine.

I'd move up the chain if I were buying another Yamaha, but I'm happy with mine the way it's being used.

nola27 likes this.
  21. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I'd be happy with either, as I own a Marantz Receiver & a Yamaha receiver! :shh:

Bananas&blow and nola27 like this.
  22. nola27

will do. I too was looking at the Brio but decided that I wanted tone controls.

23. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

It literally is the complete opposite of what you mean. It's "doing a 180." 360 degrees is a circle, not facing the opposite direction.

scobb and Helom like this.
  24. nola27

yep your right

scobb and Strat-Mangler like this.
  25. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I currently have a P5 and A23 combo from parasound, before that I had a AS500 I loved, sold it to a friend for $200. I recently heard it again over an afternoon with familiar sources and other parts I used to own. Thing sounds amazing still, I would buy another Yamaha 2ch integrated without a second thought. Can't say I haven't wanted a marantz to compare but have not heard them.

Helom and nola27 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.