Canadian TV in the 1960s

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by John B, Dec 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue. Thread Starter

Cool story! Thanks for sharing.

I remember wishing that I could get on the show but alas!

2. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

Chez Helene for those in the Ottawa region was wedged between The Friendly Giant and Mr. Dressup.

carrick doone, kevywevy and John B like this.
  3. Whizz Kid

Whizz Kid Forum Resident

Here's something that always comes to mind for me back in those early 1960s / 3-channel TV days of my childhood...

I know these cartoons weren't Canadian (made by the independent animators Rankin-Bass in the US)... but they were run endlessly on our local CTV station... usually during the weekday noon hours. They must have been extremely cheap to buy... and probably had no ongoing royalties (?)... because they ran them over and over and over for years.

To this day, lines from these shows pop in to my head... totally ingrained.

"What do you see, Pin?...... fields, trees." "Welcome....... let me take your hat." :laugh: :laugh: :agree:

[​IMG]l

[​IMG]

Spaghettiows, Karnak and John B like this.
  4. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

Percy Q. Kidpester, a knuckle full of nickels.

Macman and John B like this.
  5. John B

Chez Hélène had the same 15 minute wedge in Toronto too. It was broadcast on CBC's English network to provide children with exposure to French. It ran from 1959 - 1973 when it was felt that Sesame Street would be a better bet for kids. I never particularly liked it (too educational for me) but would occasionally watch because there was nothing else! I can't see a similar show being popular today.

6. BradF

BradF Senior Member

Mr. Sharpy, the flim-flam guy.

Also, can't forget Trudy Young, the cute little blonde who helped host the show for a couple of years.

Macman likes this.
  7. Les Lye and Bill Luxton? I think. I was in their audience once!

8. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

There was a show with Rosy Radcliffe and Dan Ackroyd was in it.
    He played a handyman.
    I can't recall the name of the show.
    Also Juliet which used to come on after the Saturday night hockey game.

9. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

Big Al on CKCO out of Kitchener was a favourite at noon time in the 60s-the best part of that were the classic cartoons. Mybrother and I enjoyed Commander Tom(Tom Jolls) along with Romo the Robot after school on WKBW tv channel 7. The Commander Tom show featured the George Reeves' Superman series at times. Jolls also was the weatherman at the station, suffering the gentle 'slings and arrows' of news man Irv Weinstein through the 70s and 80s.

10. Whizz Kid

Whizz Kid Forum Resident

This will only mean something to Winnipeggers (CJAY)... "Uncle Bob" Schwartz and Archie Wood... and Petite the dog.

Jeez... even as a kid, I could tell ventriloquist acts were the epitome of lame-o. :rolleyes:

But they did show a cartoon called 'Dodo The Space Boy'... which I've never been able to find.
    I remember all the dialogue was said in rhyme... which was weird.

[​IMG]

11. John B

Coming Up Rosie 1975-78
    Coming Up Rosie (TV Series 1975– ) - IMDb

12. Whizz Kid

Whizz Kid Forum Resident

Well OK... maybe I wasn't looking that hard.

[​IMG]

13. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

14. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

The local CBC station had a late night movie on after the news as many stations did. It was called Stardust theatre or Stardust movie. regardless of title, it predictably had as it's theme...wait for it...yes...Hoagy Carmichael's Stardust. Of course it didn't tell me which performance it was and Google couldn't tell me because Google wasn't there. I was a young guy and I wanted to know. There was a local radio celebrity named Jack Cullen who had a late night radio show and many times, even as an adult I wanted to call in and ask but I never did. I tried and tried many records from the library but could not find the version that was on this show.

Finally at 55 I tried one more time. The answer dear Google is Artie Shaw's version of Stardust. It is a beautiful rendition and apparently also hugely successful in it's time (probably why they used it). Listening the first time I instantly locked on to the version I had in my memory. Satisfaction at last.

I never forgot to search for it, I was just not smart enough to figure it out. I'm glad it came to me though!

MLutthans, beccabear67 and John B like this.
  15. John B

Great clip! Where do you find this stuff?

The truth is that a lot of Canadian programming was not great. It was what we had.

My favourite TV shows while growing up in Canada were Jonny Quest, Get Smart and Batman. Forest Rangers ranked at #4. Felix the Cat and of course, Bugs Bunny et al. Rocky and Bullwinkle! Mr McGoo. Gilligan's Island. Then there were the Charlie Brown specials! Dr. Who is a nod to the UK. The Saint. The Avengers.

TV memories are flooding back. All of them are black and white ...........

Part of a Canadian childhood, if you were allowed to watch TV. ;)

carrick doone likes this.
  16. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I was going to ask if anyone remembered a show on CBC Francais titled Nic et Pic about two mice in a hot air baloon, but looking it up I see it started in 1972. Oh well. Here's a 'pic' of them anyway (from an LP cover)...
    [​IMG]
    How about "Canada's Pet Juliette"? Didn't that run for ages after Hockey Night In Canada?

carrick doone and John B like this.
  17. John B

Juliette ran from '56 to '66 and aired after Hockey Night in Canada. Nice play on words re: Nic et 'pic'

It's fine to slip in '70s stuff 'cos it was close to and perhaps inspired by the '60s!

beccabear67 likes this.
  18. John B

At what time? When you had a beard?

Okay throw me off this thread.

Whizz Kid likes this.
  19. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

I remember the theme from the English version:
    Nic Pic
    Nic Pic
    Flying high across the sky

John B and beccabear67 like this.
  20. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

Full episode of the kid's show Homemade Televison from 1977

John B likes this.
  21. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

We had a show called Let's Go! over here in NZ too, sadly only silent 8mm home movie footage survives from it:

John B likes this.
  22. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Frank Cameron is still here, writes for the satirical press as an Angry Old Man.

I used to watch those Music Hop programs from across the country after school.

John B likes this.
  23. John B Good

I remember watching the kids (the presentable known ones) who represented my school in one episode. I'm at home, quickly spouting most of the answers, and they are almost silent.

John B likes this.
  24. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Hmm...almost seems like the prototype for Toopy And Binoo (one of my four year old's favourites)

beccabear67 likes this.
  25. John B Good

I've always wondered if CBC marketing hadn't fallen far short of what was possible - DVD editions of historical or loved programs for sale.

You can't tell me there wouldn't have been a big market for old Don Messer programs.

John B and beccabear67 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.