How often do you use Discogs?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Vern, Dec 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MedozK

MedozK Forum Resident

As a long time Discogs user. You do have some people that are over the top, but you have a great deal of people that help newbies. Discogs database is based on rules and guidelines. I myself, when I first started, was put on the CIP (improvement plan), because I made lots of mistakes...like editing a release to match my release (CARDINAL SIN), instead of submitting mine as a unique submission.

The key to Discogs, is if you are going to submit or edit things... read the guidelines. To this day, I make sure everything is perfect and I have proof for everything before I submit or edit.

I have seen some terrible submissions from newbies that you can tell, have not read one guideline.... they just are wanting to sell something... Those are the ones that are bad and give all newbie that bad name.

Discogs Help - Guidelines »

2. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

I can relate to this. Sometimes I go through Beatles releases and fix release dates, bad formatting, etc.
    I can't tell you how many releases I see with almost no information, no images, and the person who submitted it won't respond to further questioning or isn't on Discogs anymore.
    Those ones are pretty much stuck because you can't tell what to merge it with and no one knows what are the correct images to add.

MedozK likes this.
  3. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

Right now we're having a debate as to whether or not Capitol's Starline series is a series or a label.
    People keep insisting that it was a label, and I'm trying to convince them that in the US it was only ever a series.

AaronW and MedozK like this.
  4. MedozK

MedozK Forum Resident

Democracy

5. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Thanks for pointing this out. I didn't know it existed.

tmtomh likes this.
  6. shaman

shaman New Member

I use it every now and then. Very useful as a resource and for comparing prices to places like Amazon, Ebay and other record sites. Only had positive experiences so far.

7. DLD

DLD Senior Member

I'm a relative newbie to Discogs. So far, plus wise, I loved inventorying my old stuff and my ongoing acquisitions.

I've bought a handful of CDs that've been fairly graded. The one LP I bought (Moody Blues Greatest that received some good press here at Hoffmans) was graded NM and was VG+ in every respect. On the plus side, with shipping, <$10. Doubt that I'll spend any more than that at Discogs.

As far as submissions, I've submitted 2 obscure Japanese CDs of Dylan and The Beachboys. On both I cunfused the "rights holder" with the "label". My bad but is was very unclear as to what was what. It was quickly pointed out to me and corrected. Newbie mistake :shrug:

8. Sam Cruze

Sam Cruze New Member

I've used them for about a year for gold CD Video music videos. Good experiences on that. However, not so good with, say, quad 8 track. The seller promptly refunded my money but had sent a completely wrong Edgar Winter album (and simple 2ch stereo at that). OTOH, LP purchases have been acceptable. Overall, it IS a terrific resource otherwise, allowing you to post to a wish list, etc.

9. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I sold 3 (really minty) Beatles items on there and never got any feedback. I suppose no feedback is better than negative feedback! I find it very difficult to ad your own pictures or description on Discogs, unlike Ebay.

I almost bought a Beatles 45, but (had to ask the seller a few times) if it was original or a later pressing. Good thing I persisted, because it was a later 80's pressing, but labeled under an original 1962 Love Me Do single.

Sam Cruze likes this.
  10. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I use Discogs daily.

tmtomh, Sam Cruze and Yost like this.
  11. Vern

Vern Forum Resident Thread Starter

greelywinger, Yost, Dave and 3 others like this.
  12. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It was both! There was an actual Starline label different from any other Capitol dist. label.

13. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Wow, that's a lot of ringwear on a classical record.

14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

That's a VG cover no doubt, no plus to be added when there is not only ring wear but the text is scratched out in places. I hope it was cheap.

15. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

The paper has been peeled away. I would think twice before buying in a charity shop. If the vinyl is in the same state, then it's a waste of time. Classical music demands nice quiet surfaces. Noise and scratches are just too distracting.

AaronW likes this.
  16. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

I know how this feels. This is a US first pressing of The Band's Rock of Ages :
    [​IMG]
    (In case the picture doesn't show, the cover has "RM Radio presenta" printed on the front cover of what is, in fact, a very beat-up Venezuelan pressing !)

tmtomh and AaronW like this.
  17. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Bad grading is like a fungus taking over the world at the moment and there are no signs of it ever abating. There are very few vendors that are immune from this disease.

LordThanos1969 and tmtomh like this.
  18. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Seems like it, indeed. I’ve had more problems in the last 12 months than in the 7 or 8’yrars before. Just received a “NM” Depeche Mode SACD+DVD. Sadly the DVD wasn’t in the case and the SACD was pushed across a sandy table, playing side down. :realmad:

tmtomh likes this.
  19. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

There are ways to figure out if a seller is an over-grader of not.

You check their feedback and look at their other listings. Ask questions before buying. And of course PayPal gets you the money back. Not too much risk really.

Dave and tmtomh like this.
  20. vyteniss

vyteniss New Member

For me its a no 1 resource for tracking/tracing music. I've disovered many interesting but barely known acts there. I usally find them while checking band members profiles and then other bands/labels they are in or was.

Dave and tmtomh like this.
  21. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I remember the time when discogs had separate labels for different markets. So you would have a Parlophone (UK), a Parlophone (New Zealand), etc. I took ages to get rid of those, and there was a almighty fight about it (in the days when discogs had moderators).

tmtomh likes this.
  22. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I use it to catalog my vinyl collection, so I don't duplicate.
    I have not added any info. ( I let other users do that).
    I have yet to buy on there.
    I like to physically hold the record in my hand and visually inspect it with my own eyes.
    When I do first buy on there, communication between the buyer & seller is key.
    No communication = No Sale.

Darryl

23. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

The only way to figure out if a seller overgrades or not, with 100% accuracy, is to buy the record and inspect it yourself :)

Those suggestions all help but they are no guarantee you'll avoid the issue. Paypal is great for that but do I really want the hassle of having to return a record and then claiming for the postage? Not really. Id rather avoid the issue entirely. But since I can't I rely on that ever happening, I rely on Paypal, my questions and a great deal of hope!

I don't trust feedback like I once did. Plenty of sellers keep their 100% score by having excellent return policies which although great, usually result in positive feedback or no feedback at all. Hence, you never really know that their grading can be off.

But my comment wasn't just meant for online selling. I even see bad grading in the real world where you get the inspect the record yourself.

24. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Daily. It is the greatest resource for understanding pressings, how much they go for, etc. Usually prices on ebay and Amazon are inflated where you can find a copy on discogs for much cheaper. It's also a great tool to be able to log your records and not necessarily be selling them. I hope to have motivation for doing that at some point.

tmtomh, eddiel and dennis the menace like this.
  25. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I delayed it for awhile because the thought of all that work was not a pleasant one. But, although it did take awhile and I had to commit to it, it wasn't as bad as a I thought it was going to be. Even though it was a pain! You can save a lot of time as well if you don't need to include matrix details in the notes sections or gradings for cover and lp. If you just want to log your titles it can go much faster. It really is quite handy having them logged. I use it even when I'm at home and sitting a few feet from my records as it's quicker to check online than get up and check the shelves :)

cwitt1980 and tmtomh like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.