Something New from Led Zeppelin Being Mastered Now

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tmtomh, Oct 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Really? I don't remember that at all and I was a member of all the forums/mailing lists/tape trading groups at the time. I do remember a 4-5 song 30 minute or so excerpt leaking which came from the promo sample disc.

Haggis Wampovich and tmtomh like this.
  2. Duckman

Duckman Forum Resident

Pretty sure the majority of Zep's Montreux 1970 performance is available in soundboard/multitrack quality. Claude Nobs systematicaly taped his acts. In fact his archive is now being restored and digitized
    whether or not the rest of the Nobs' 2 track (the tape box shown allows only 1/4" tape reels) will see the light of day is a mystery. The tracklisting is quite similar to RAH. To be frank I have a pretty good idea of the show since both the AUD and SB stuff sounds close to perfection. A superior rendition is always Welcome, but I'd rather get How the East was Won

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    DrBeatle, tmtomh and RockDude4492 like this.
  3. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

Performance-wise, Montreu sounds rawer, more aggresive, punchier and more exciting than RAH. I would much welcome a Montreux release, though I would be more than happy with HTEWW.

johnny q, Sean, DrBeatle and 2 others like this.
  4. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

I remember Plant being interviewed in 2003 and was asked the same question, and gave more or less the same reply "oh we spoke a few weeks ago. What about? Artwork probably". The occasion being the release of HTWWW.

So logically it might be the same thing, mightn't it? How the East Was Won, or Earls Court, or something 1968.....

Oh come on what am I talking logic, I really mean hope and wild fantasy!

ciderglider, tmtomh, DBR70 and 3 others like this.
  5. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

I do have the promo sample disc - a copy, not the real thing.

But I found the longer version I'm talking about, and it's the whole thing, not 90 minutes. I labeled it "k. shirley pre-release mix." Haven't had a chance to give it a spin, and probably haven't heard it since the release of HTWWW.

6. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Must have been a very short conversation, given the eventual artwork was really poor. :D

7. Oh wow, I didn't know anything about that. I wonder if it's mastered any better than the eventual release.

tmtomh likes this.
  8. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

I'll give it a spin sometime soon.

By "mastered better" I assume you mean not as loud and with more natural dynamics. I'm not in the habit of ripping tracks and looking at them, though I get it. HTWWW is a victim of its time, and the drums sound overly crushed in particular, even if the overall sound is of excellent quality. Listen to the acoustic tracks, they're jaw-droppingly beautiful. I'd rather have it than just Burn Like A Candle and/or the two tracks on Studio Daze. Basically, if it pleases me, I'll overlook the flaws.

When/if I get a chance to listen to the pre-release thing I'll offer an opinion here.

revolution_vanderbilt and tmtomh like this.
  9. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

Sean, snkcube, oneway23 and 7 others like this.
  10. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident Thread Starter

11. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

If I were a Redditch councillor, I might be inclined to write back stating that, since Led Zeppelin made hundreds of millions for the Warner Music Group, maybe they would consider funding any statue and land if they think Bonham is so worthy of it.

Bring tourism to Redditch? Not a chance!

12. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

As with everything Page says these days, I'll believe it when I see it. Fingers crossed...

13. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

Haha I love at the end he Page says he hopes to be seen playing so he better get on with it. hahahaha. Just give us the music Jimmy. hahaha

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  14. Liquid77

Liquid77 Forum Resident

Agreed, it's like he can't be interviewed anymore without bringing it up. Just tell everyone you're retired and move on. Get back to producing and working on: HTEWW, complete Earl's Court show, complete Knebworth, Blu-Ray of DVD and any other hidden gems that you won't admit to having. Maybe Bath, Pontiac, Houston?

15. tmtomh

I agree that the "all manner of" part should be taken with a grain of salt. But if he says there will be surprises and references stuff that hasn't been heard before, then I absolutely believe there will be at least one big new thing - either something we really never have heard before, or (just as good IMHO) an official-sound-quality, proper multitrack mixdown of something we have heard before (like Japan '71).

16. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

"I very much doubt we'll do anything else": Jimmy Page tells Planet Rock about Led Zeppelin touring future and new live album

In the interview, Page also reveals that there'll be a brand new Led Zeppelin live album released at some point this year and says he foresees that there'll be 'new' Led Zeppelin product emerging over the next 10 years.

"I can't give the game away, but there's a recording that's another multi-track that we'll release," Page said. "It's so different to all the other things that are out there. It's another view compared to 'How The West Was Won' or 'The Song Remains The Same'. I'm looking forward to people hearing that. There's a lot of stuff to come out, a number of releases. I'd like to say that they'll be coming out over the next 10 years. There's more to come for sure."

17. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

As with everything Jimmy say...I'll believe it when I see it.

18. tmtomh

Again, I absolutely believe Page on the basic statement here: If he says they're releasing a new live multitracked concert this year, then you can bank on it.

The uncertainty comes with what he means by "it's another view compared to HTWWW and TSRTS." Because for better or worse, the widely bootlegged Southamption January 22 '73 show fits that description perfectly, because it was recorded in a college refectory, a much smaller, more intimate venue than almost any show they played post-1971.

I have no problem with that show, but it's not one of their best performances (especially for that early '73 period when they generally were at or near their technical peak), and Plant's voice is a mess. So I will be quite disappointed if Southampton is the only new live material released in 2018. But if it's one of several - or even one of two - releases with new live material, then I will be thrilled.

Also, while the Southamption bootlegs sound very good because they're based on a professional mixdown (albeit a rough one), there's a good deal of sonic improvement, vocal polishing, and tasteful tightening/editing that could make the show sound noticeably better than the bootlegs. And since it was mixed by Kevin Shirley, there's even more room for improvement if Page is having John Davis do a fresh mix from the multis (which I would guess is what's happening).

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  19. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

Good analisys. We have to even think about Jimmy saying that he had heard to D&C from January 73 recently...

tmtomh likes this.
  20. deanrelax

deanrelax Forum Resident

Speculation of course, but this could be interpreted as that Zep will (also) do copyright control releases going forward.

John Rhett Thomas and tmtomh like this.
  21. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I don`t know,Page is touring behind his new solo album this year too!Right?;)
    I think playing in Japan was very different than other parts of the world.Osaka was kind of a relaxed loose vibe compared to some of the other tours,maybe that`s what he meant by different than HTWWW and TSRTS,Page being Page trying to create his own buzz.I just hope Pennies From Heaven isn`t edited out of Dazed!:p

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    tmtomh likes this.
  22. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

Page is always careful with words. Notice how he doesn't say "concert" or gig, but "recording". This, plus the "so different" comment leads me to speculate wildly wonder if it's an early (68/69) soundcheck / rehearsal of some kind.

23. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

I'm excited by this news. I'm assuming we won't hear anything further until at least after the HTWWW release date.

Sean and tmtomh like this.
  24. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Forum Reconstructor

Were any 1968 gigs recorded professionally? I don't quite remember reading anything about that. If yes, I'd love to hear some of that (and their cover of The Yardbirds' "For Your Love" too!)

25. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Forum Reconstructor

Come on, people, we need this :D

oneway23, Sean, Jimijam and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.