Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2017-2018 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

No way, I love hearing as much of the end theme as possible.

MikaelaArsenault and chacha like this.
  2. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

The classic episode they showed last week of Jack Black and Neil Young from 2005 had the cast skating at the end of the show..

3. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I love that Dave gave the Foo Fighters’ backing vocalists a chance to shine during the Christmas medley. He spent a few minutes talking them up at the concert I went to a few weeks ago.

4. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

For 3+ minutes?

5. deepscan

deepscan Active Member

Well,

The first half of the season is over. Needless to say I did not see this year’s Christmas show, and judging by the negative comments I have read about the monologue, perhaps it will go down in history as not one of the most memorable holiday shows. I am now convinced SNL chose the wrong host to do the Christmas show. The second half (which begins in about three weeks) opens with..ta-da...another indie act and a not so wonderful host.

The first half did have its moments, such as the Kellywise skit...that was the best. I hope there will be some redemption in the second half.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

7. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Well that was a disappointment.
    Probably the weakest pre Christmas show I’ve seen them do.

Deano6, rburly and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

I’m in Chicago seeing Guided By Voices and there is an amazing SNL exhibit at the Chicago Museum of Broadcast Communications. Basically explains the entire weeks process of an SNL episode with lots of videos and memorabilia.

I got to stand behind the podeum of Turd Ferguson from Celebrity Jeopardy!

Highly recommend...

9. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Coming up:

1/13: Sam Rockwell / Halsey

1/20: Jessica Chastain / Troye Sivan

1/27: Will Ferrell / Chris Stapleton

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Love Sam Rockwell. He never gets enough attention as an actor. He's good with comedy, I just hope they have good material for him.

Really looking forward to Will Ferrell/Chris Stapleton!

Dudley Morris and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. deepscan

deepscan Active Member

Kind of hoping for a Justin Timberlake to appear somewhere, as he is an SNL favorite and bankable name. But, judging by the lineup for this live cycle, just another lineup of indie/no name acts and another way to save money and get ratings by rehashing former cast members as hosts. Is SNL trying to save its best for last as they did with Katy Perry at the end of last season? One thing is for sure...SNL is bound to lose more viewers this cycle.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

My guess is they don't do it to save money. They do it to MAKE money. Keeps the machine rolling.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. deepscan

deepscan Active Member

Probably another name for this is “ I can get so-and-so for you wholesale or cheap to make $$$”.

14. Hymie the Robot

The host is almost always selling some new project, and many times, it is a former cast member with a new project within the SNL ecosystem.

Matthew Tate and seed_drill like this.
  15. deepscan

deepscan Active Member

I was actually referring mostly to the current slate of musical guests. You probably will never see them in heavy rotation in current Top 40 radio.

16. Hymie the Robot

"save money and get ratings by rehashing former cast members as hosts" is what I was referring to that you posted.

17. deepscan

deepscan Active Member

Oh yes. I stand corrected. Whatever the case, Lorne Michaels does have to get his act together, sort of speak, or more people will stop watching SNL. Pure and simple.

18. Hymie the Robot

Doesn't seem like a make or break year to me. We aren't talking about prime time here and they have absolutely no competition on free tv.

19. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

All three of those artists record for major labels and at least two of them have had chart topping albums.

And how does it save money to get Will Ferrell as a host? He’s not still under contract to SNL.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. deepscan

deepscan Active Member

Let me put it to you this way. Getting a big name star to host the show is not easy. Why is it then you have never seen Celine Dion or even Tom Cruise host SNL? Because they are bigger name stars that cost huge fees and perhaps are either too good or not good enough to host SNL. So they can save money by getting either former cast members or old favorites like Alec Baldwin or Tom Hanks to host. Same way with the musical guests...in some cases they are indie acts or acts you probably don’t know about. They are cheaper to get than, say, Katy Perry ( why do you think NBC saved their best act for last at the end of last season)?

This is certainly not the SNL of the past where the best entertainers could show off their talents (as I have said before, and I will say it again, the glory years came from the original five seasons, 1975-80). Time will tell whether or not SNL will return to those glory years. One thing is for sure...Lorne Michaels can do better than this or we will end up with an SNL that no one will be interested in anymore.

21. Hymie the Robot

When is your SNL book coming out? It is nice having an expert on the forum.

22. deepscan

deepscan Active Member

You should be asking the authors of “ Live From New York: A Backstage History of Saturday Night Live”. I have read a previous edition of the book and it is an excellent chronicle of the show. Recommended for any fan.

23. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I believe all the hosts get paid scale. No one gets paid more than the other.

anthontherun and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. deepscan

deepscan Active Member

I totally disagree with that, bartels76. Some stars are worth more than others.

25. Hymie the Robot

George Harrison demanded more than scale :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.