The Rolling Stones On Air In The Sixties Book and Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Jul 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Any idea what the 3 extra tracks are?

2. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

A live version of "Not Fade Away" and the BBC vocal versions of Jumpin Jack Flash & Honky Tonk Women.

There have also been new sources unearthed for the BBC tape-sourced stuff in addition to new transcription LP transfers. It should be nice. The old NR'd Swingin' Pig boot will finally be totally obselete.

3. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

Agree here. He did a great blues album when the fans have asking for one for years

footlooseman likes this.
  4. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Jagger is sick of talking about the old days, and has been since the 70s — noticeably so, in every interview. Probably the reason he didn't do an interview this year until the Mojo one (except to say "I'm working on new songs, now") is that he didn't want to entertain lots of questions he's heard a million times, instead of being at home seeing his young kid grow up

I mean, with him and Ronnie both having young families at home, the touring next year will likely be very brief — and that's the main reason they would want to put all the effort into supporting a brand new album, which they have been working on for well over a year (on and off)

5. hardknox

hardknox Forum Resident

Sorry if it's already been asked/answered in the previous 37 pages (which I admittedly only skimmed) - are these recordings Mono or Stereo?

6. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Partly fake stereo — ie. mono with 'demixing' applied to widen it, and partly real stereo (from a single broadcast tape source)

7. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

Sounds good. I imagine the Jumping Jack Flash is the video version with standard backing track but with a live vocal that was broadcast on BBC TV Top Of The Pops and then lifted for use on the (confusingly named) Top Of The Pops transcription series. That also has a short bit of chat with Mick and Brian who points out the rhythmic similarity of the JJF riff with the Satisfaction riff.
    Honky Tonk Women was lifted from Top Of The Pops BBC TV show too. There's a few instances where this happened (Dusty Springfield, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac) where a session version of a song wasn't available for Top Of The Pops transcription series so a TV version (with live vocal) was used on the transcription discs. Man Of The World by PGFM is another example of this. Sadly, when PGFM did do a BBC radio version of the track it wasn't taken by the transcription disc series because they already had the TV with live vocal version. Er, hope that makes sense.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  8. zenarrow

zenarrow Forum Resident

What, there's actually a real person behind the name?

I thought it was on the same level as Papa Murphys or a Ronald McDonald type figure.

With that being said, I don't want to read 37 pages of back and forth bickering on this. I like the SQ issues on this forum.

I bought the colored vinyl and book, and I am just wondering if I should open it and listen to it or put it on the shelf and hope it grows in value.

9. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

One thing people here forgets, is that is a two-way.
    There is just as much unwilling from ABKCO's part.
    Jody Klein is NOT very generous when it comes to the archive, though they have tip-toed regarding those kind of releases for a decade now (Charlie Is My Darling, Ya-Ya's Deluxe etc.)
    The co-orporation works between the two parties (Exile Deluxe featured ABKCO era outtakes and Promotone lend ABKCO tracks for a Singles 1968-71 box etc).
    I know from insiders, that a Beggars Banquet Deluxe Edition has been in the works for a few years, but they keep holding it back. Next year it will reach 50 years. Probably, that will be time for it.

danielbravo likes this.
  10. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

I love the Stones, but Mick's obviously not sick of raking in loads of cash on the road trotting out those old songs from the old days for the zillionth time.

11. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

How's that old saying go? 'Talking about music is like dancing to architecture'

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  12. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

Lol, well I guess the Stones are pretty old architecturally wise!

13. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Happy 74th birthday today to the Rock of Ages himself, Mr Riffhard!

John Grimes and PIGGIES like this.
  14. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

Who ever would've thought it!

15. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Also much more complete live High Heel Sneakers from Joe Loss Show

Laservampire and WonkyWilly like this.
  16. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

Mono processed into stereo!

17. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Listened to the first disc today.

The liner notes only list Ian Stewart as playing on "Down The Road A Piece" on Disc 1.

However I could hear piano on "Cry To Me" as well. Anyone know who played it? Or are the notes in error and Stu played on both?

Thanks.

Mark

18. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

It's just great hearing music that is so familiar done slightly differently. As a guitarist it's also great hearing how these versions work in a live setting.

19. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Diggin on side on of the Vinyl right NOW! ,(get it!!!!! NOW???).
    GOING FOR SIDE TWO in about 3 minutes......
    Dig it jack!
    Beave

Jack, footlooseman and fmfxray373 like this.
  20. Lk4605

Lk4605 Forum Resident

It's here the true and real pleasure of these discs...not in the performance which so old...

douglas mcclenaghan likes this.
  21. Lk4605

Lk4605 Forum Resident

... only the 4 tracks of "Blues in rhythm" are in true and beautiful Stereo...an exceptional live recording in this time.....

22. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

Has anyone else who ordered this from the Stones' store (Digital Stores) still not received it yet? I ordered the Yellow vinyl and the 2CD and have still not received it in the US. (Yes, I did contact them, they told me to wait longer, I did, and now I contacted them again and am waiting for a response.)

23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Is all the vinyl yellow?

24. Jack

Jack Senior Member

I did, Beave, I did!

Mark Wilson likes this.
  25. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

I am still waiting in Korea and will contact them next week if it is not here by then.

:wave:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.