How do you listen to your digital files in your stereo?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Pizza, Dec 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni Thread Starter

I'm not talking about CDs. I'm referring to CD rips, needle drops and downloads. I'm curious what the most common setup is for folks here.

I keep it simple for me. I'll listen to music from my MacBook and/or my iPod from their miniplug jack connected to the back of my receiver's stereo inputs via a cord. The cord is always plugged into the receiver and the miniplug end is free when not playing from a source.

And I'll still play the CDs. :)

2. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

iPod Classic 160 into a HRT iStreamer DAC into my Denon receiver (Aux inputs). Works great.

Pizza likes this.
  3. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Since I got my Oppo CD/Bluray, I put downloaded files (Flac, mp3 when I have no option) onto a USB and play from that. Much easier than burning to CDRs.

4. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

PC > Muzecast > Chromecast Audio > DAC > HiFi

Pizza likes this.
  5. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Logitech Squeezebox Touch for local FLAC/ALAC and Tidal via coax to Outlaw RR2160 DAC. Controlled via iPeng 9 from my phone.

rogertheshrubber, Pizza and Rick B. like this.
  6. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

PC connected from headphone jack to the Tape input on the back of my Cyrus 2 amplifier.

beat_truck and Pizza like this.
  7. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

One of two ways.
    Either via the Plex app/Chromecast audio, or if I'm on my computer, just through my computer. It is connected via HDMI to my TV. My TV is connected to my stereo via a digital optical connection.

Pizza likes this.
  8. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Windows laptop, USB-to-SPDIF converter, optical input on the DAC, analog inputs on the integrated amp.

mike catucci and Pizza like this.
  9. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Either off the lossless file on my phone's Micro-SD card, or my external hard disk drive via the Cambridge 752BD.

Pizza likes this.
  10. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

iPhone 6-iTunes-HRT iStreamer-cambridge-audioquest jitterbug- audio azur 540A integrated amp.

Pizza likes this.
  11. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

What's nice with digital audio files is that you realize that you can listen to them anytime, anywhere and on everything you own. The quality and experience may differ according to changes in one of the variable but you the enjoyment remain with you at all time.

12. timind

timind phorum rezident

Two methods for me. All CDs are ripped to Mac Mini as AIFFs via XLD for accurate rip. The Mac Mini's optical out is fed to a Monarchy Audio Super DIP which outputs to the DAC. The other method, and my preferred method, is the digital signal from an ipod classic with 512gb SD card storage feeding the Monarchy Audio DIP which feeds the DAC. My preference is using the ipod for the simple reason I don't have to turn on the computer.

I don't play the CDs anymore after finally getting them all ripped two weeks ago. The CDs are stored away in boxes now.

Atmospheric, mj_patrick and Pizza like this.
  13. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

I rip and play with Foobar on my PC through a DAC that's hooked to my integrated.

shaboo and Pizza like this.
  14. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

Mac USB output to Schiit Bifrost 4490 DAC to vintage McIntosh receiver. I use Amaraa sQ+ as the sound engine for iTunes, this combination sounds amazing.

15. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

I do a lot of conversions from analog tape and I use this. it also works in the other direction.

Roland - UA-1EX | USB Audio Interface

The UA-1EX is a simple ASIO-compatible USB audio interface capable of 24-bit/96kHz operation and designed to offer component-quality audio signals in and out of your computer. The UA-1EX offers excellent sound quality for connection to any RCA or S/PDIF optical device. The UA-1EX features professional A/D and D/A converters, ensuring accurate recording and playback, whether you’re recording tapes or vinyl to the computer, or just playing your MP3 collection thru a home stereo receiver

Pizza likes this.
  16. Johnny Wong

Johnny Wong Ya der hey.

Raspberry Pi 3 with Allo Boss DAC. Running Volumio.

Adamski777, William Barty and Pizza like this.
  17. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I have a 2nd 2 TB internal hard drive in my desktop computer with all my music on it. My computer is hooked up to my integrated amp with analog cables and to my receiver with an optical cable. I play the files through either WinAmp or Kodi.

Pizza likes this.
  18. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

Home
    Spotify on iPhone > Wireless to Airport Extreme > Cat5 cable to AirportExpress Hub w/ optical out > Harman Kardon HD 990CD w/ optical in and DAC > Integrated Amp

Up North
    Spotify on iPhone/MacBook Pro > Chromecast Audio via Bluetooth > Integrated Amp

Work
    Spotify on MacBook Pro > Optical Out > Music Streamer II+ DAC > AudioEngine A5+ powered speakers

Pizza likes this.
  19. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I have a NAS with 16TB of stuff including my music which is fed into my PC, and then my DAC (T1 Aune with Orange Globe Amperex 7308 tube), which is plugged into my stereo.

Pizza likes this.
  20. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

Almost all of my music (currently 170k+ songs) is ripped to 320MP3 which is stored on a 4 TB hard drive / server that's connected to a router. That can be accessed anywhere in the home either wirelessly or via Ethernet, and anywhere in the world that there's internet, using either an app or browser. All files are backed up to three other on-site hard drives, and one which I update quarterly and store elsewhere. I don't trust anything to "cloud" storage.

For the multiple "stereo" systems running on my property (as opposed to just in my house, since two of them are outdoors) I use inexpensive Sony BD players attached to either receivers, pre/pros, or flat screens, to stream from the server. The receivers and pre/pros have multi-zone capability.

For in-vehicle use, MP3 on 256 GB USB stick works great.

320MP3 was chosen as the most device-friendly / transportable / streamable format. And one which I cannot distinguish from original CD.

The move to 320MP3 was partially necessitated by the lack of space to store any more physical media.

Jeff

mds, Stromung, SandAndGlass and 4 others like this.
  21. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Logitech Media Server on i3 PC hosting 10 Squeezebox "zones" (Squeezebox Touch, Squeezebox Radio, Raspberry Pi- or PC-based Squeezelite). All controlled via web browser or Android app.

Pizza likes this.
  22. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

If I'm in the car/garden etc. and streaming via a data connection, Muzecast gives you the option to lower the bitrate (I lower it to 'Near CD Quality...which is high quality VBR)

PC > Muzecast > Bluetooth to device

I've also uploaded my library (around 50,000 tracks) to Google Music in 320kbps, so I can use the Google Music app on my phone if I'm away from home and the PC is turned off (which is fairly rare).

timind and Pizza like this.
  23. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

I have an apple lightning dock connected to my amp. Always ready for my iPod or iPhone!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    Pizza likes this.
  24. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Home
    MacBook Pro USB out--->ifI iDSD nano DAC--->PrimaLuna ProLogue Three preamp--->PrimaLuna ProLogue Six monoblocks--->Klipsch Cornwalls

Work
    MacBook Pro USB out--->ifI iDSD nano DAC--->Sennheiser HD380 Pro headphones

I bring my portable setup to work each day. Library stored on 8TB Seagate drive.

x2zero and Pizza like this.
  25. rushca01

rushca01 Member

New member and was curious if anyone has any experience between the chromecast audio and bluesound node 2 for streaming? More specifically if using it as a streaming source only and connecting to a separate DAC is there a difference in the quality? Source material would either be tidal and or spotify.

Tim 2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.