So My Friend Bought a Marantz 2230...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bill Why Man, Dec 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Why Man

Bill Why Man Forum Resident Thread Starter

...AND HE HAS A SPEAKER WIRE CONNECTION CONUNDRUM!

After unexpectedly winning a Marantz 2230 on auction at a super reasonable price, he's now faced with wire connection issues.

The rear speaker connections are the old pinch-back bare wire acceptors. He's got banana plugs. He can't simply buy new wire because it's inlaid into the shelving for aesthetics and would require major deconstruction. He can't just snip off the banana plugs because he has thick, low-gauge wire that has too wide a diameter to fit in the amp's pinch-back holes.

I've tried to help him find female pin adapters but Amazon is out and many other wire parts sites don't seem to have anything like this available or in production at the moment.

Does anyone know where to locate such an item or know of an alternate solution? If anyone else has had a similar issue, please feel free to share your success story. Any constructive advice/experience to share is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

2. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    McLover and Bill Why Man like this.
  3. vinyl_puppy

vinyl_puppy Der Weaselschnitzel

The Cable Company has pins from both Cardas and Audioquest.

bluemooze and Bill Why Man like this.
  4. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

Congrats to your friend on the 2230 purchase! One heck of a nice vintage receiver!!!

5. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

6. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

How about just winding some bare solid wire tightly around the banana plug, with a bit extended past the end to insert in the Marantz outputs?

arisinwind and Bill Why Man like this.
  7. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Time to install some real binding posts in the Marantz. It's not hard to do.

Bill Why Man likes this.
  8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Best answer to this problem.

Bill Why Man likes this.
  9. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Use banana adapters. Modifications devalue classic audio.

10. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

BS

11. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Wrap bare copper wire around the banana plug leaving 3/4" tail out the end. Wrap all but the tail in duct tape. Insert tail in in 2230 terminals. Rock on.

bluemooze and Bill Why Man like this.
  12. White_Noise

White_Noise Forum Resident

Seconded. I slightly prefer the sound golden era Sansui amps/receivers over most of the classic Marantz receivers. But the warm sound, tuner, and general aesthetic of the 2230 is my favorite 1970s receiver under 4 grand.

I only use the Sansui now if I need more than 30w. A++. 1972-3 apparently marked the apex quality of most American products except for weed.

Gizmo90, bluemooze, RogerB and 2 others like this.
  13. A Lad Insane

A Lad Insane Well-Known Member

Hey all - new to the forum. I'm the friend above with the new Marantz 2230. Psyched! It's in the shop now getting cleaned up and an LED upgrade. I ended up finding a guy out of Exeter, NH on Ebay who had exactly what was needed. Female banana with about 8 inches of speaker wire. $10.

Bill Why Man and bluemooze like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.