Jimmy Page says previously unheard Led Zeppelin music will be released for band's 50th anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

2. Moe Schmo

Moe Schmo Forum Resident

I’m gonna say:

Japan 71 - likely
    Bath Festival 70 with some video - maybe
    Southampton 73 - maybe
    Page touring again - zero chance despite what he says

3. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

This could be "previously unheard" as in studio stuff or (more likely) previously unheard live stuff (at least for those who have never heard LZ boots). I'm leaning toward the latter...how many times have they said over the years there's barely anything in the studio vaults?

4. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Unless he puts out the long version of All of My Love everything they decide to release should be live shows. We got pretty much scraps on those bonus discs.

A Led Zep doc would be wonderful but I know Plant hates looking back.

5. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

what date next year are they talking about?

6. DrBeatle

If it's truly the 50th anniversary, it wouldn't be until either September (when the band first got together) or October (when they changed their name from The New Yardbirds to Led Zeppelin).

joshm2286 likes this.
  7. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

I'd like to see the chronological live 'greatest hits' he's been talking about since the late 70s.

He could potentially pull songs from:-

Fillmore '69
    Albert Hall '70
    Japan '71 & '72
    Montreux '71
    Australia '72
    Southampton '73
    Madison Square Garden '73
    Earls Court '75
    Any multitracked '77 tour gigs?
    Copenhagen '79
    Knebworth '79

For starters.

8. Jimmy is working feverishly on erasing all vocals from live shows so they can be released as alternate takes/soundcheck.

9. snipe

snipe Forum Resident

I'm in.

supernaut and longdist01 like this.
  10. Mr. Nastey

Mr. Nastey Forum Resident

Doubt it's any studio stuff, from what's been said, they released everything on the remasters. Probably not video, because most (if not all of that) was released on the dvd set. More than likely it some live stuff, possibly from mutitracks, or the live chronology that he's wanted to do for years. Will be interesting to see what happens.

joshm2286 likes this.
  11. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

I eagerly await the likes of Houses of the Holy [Rough Mix], The Crunge [Guitar Only Mix], Dancing Days [Early Version], Dancing Days [Later Version] and Dancing Days [LP Version with Non-Alternate Mix].

joshm2286, planckera, AidanB and 41 others like this.
  12. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

13. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

:laughup:

14. Well if it's live material, it's not exactly unheard so I'm guessing it's studio outtakes. My guess is that when they looked through the vaults for their last reissue project, they held back some stuff for a future project.

15. konajinx

konajinx Forum Resident

Indeed, and this would be borne out by most of the crappy sounding "work mixes" on the last set of reissues.

DrBeatle likes this.
  16. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

It says a lot for the power of music and of our favourite bands that, after a pretty awful few weeks for me, this news has cheered me up enormously.

No, i doubt he'll be playing live. But the tease about never before heard stuff has got me dreaming about an early days / later days double live set, including

EARLY DAYS
    First rehearsal!
    those long rumoured 1968 tapes that Grant took to the negotiations with Atlantic
    Fillmore west "As long as I Have You", "Lemon Song" with that brilliant intro (cleaned up)
    Japan '71

LATTER DAYS
    Earls Court multi day
    Seattle 77 cleaned up (lots of work for that Garden Tapes bloke here I think!) and synced with video
    Previously unknown multi tracks of Tour Over Europe (OK I'm in the realm of fantasy land here, I doubt this even exists)

supernaut, RangerXT, Sean and 3 others like this.
  17. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

He is obviously announcing a Led Zeppelin reunion with a new album and worldwide tour. Whoo!

18. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Well, judging by how much bottom of the barrel scraping was done for the companion discs, I doubt we will see any new studio material unless something has been discovered recently. So it appears this may be live material audio and/or video. The short list of "suspects" have been discussed to death so I won't go into it again here. However, suffice to say this Zephead is really excited about any new "unheard" Zeppelin material!

19. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

So Pagey's finally going to release the long rumored Spirit tribute album??? :shh:

20. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

I'm in for this, but I'll play along for fun:

Hot Dog [The Kielbasa take]

Royal Orleans [10 second edit]

Rock and Roll [Brazilian jazz cut]

Living Loving Maid [She's Just a Man alternate mix]

In the Evening [the "or was it in the morning?" Bathroom sounds edition]

21. DrBeatle

My big fear is Jimmy working his usual "studio magic" on live tapes, thus rendering the bootlegs perpetually essential.

22. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It will most likely be the live material John Davis was alluding to. There are probably a few "new" things from the studio archives that could still be compiled, but aside from "Swan Song," "Feel So Bad/Fixing To Die/That's All Right," and the alleged "Lost In Space," there probably is not much more than alternate takes and work-in-progress takes of catalouge tracks (and everyone saw how reluctant JP was to release that kind of material on the companion discs). I doubt another "10 Ribs & All/Carrot Pod Pod" is going to surface. Don't be surprised if Earls Court or Japan '71 finally surfaces.

23. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Bring it on!

WapatoWolf, longdist01 and Sean like this.
  24. rjp

rjp Senior Member

people here are much smarter than to believe a single word of this

no one here can possibly believe that this even close to being true...can they?

after that debacle of so-called unreleased material for the massively expensive box sets?

what's next, releasing the click tracks?

jimmy page like to see his name in print, he should become a politician.

25. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Led Zeppelin click tracks?

At the end of the day, you don't have to buy the stuff he puts out.

Clearly there isn't anything worthwhile left in the studio vault but there's a fair amount of unreleased multi-tracked concerts he could release for the 50th anniversary.

WapatoWolf, RangerXT, Sean and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.