Sicario 2- Due June 2018

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by noname74, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian Thread Starter

Here's the trailer:

No Villeneuve or Blunt but pretty much everyone else is back including the same writer.

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

No Blunt?
    Pity.
    Wonder why she opted out.

3. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I can't imagine this being near as good as the first one . . . it's very rare that a sequel exceeds or even equals its predecessor.

4. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian Thread Starter

As much as I like her I don't think she belongs in this movie. It was very clear in the first one that she did not believe in how these people worked and in their minds the end justified the means. It would have been a stretch for her character to decide what they are doing is ok and join them.

5. alexpop

Preferred Benicio Del Toro myself.
    But the feminine touch gave the film / subject matter the fear factor.

6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I agree. And I don't think I'd like to see a movie about her trying to take them down either. Benicio was the star of that movie, to me. But the mystery surrounding his past and what he was doing is gone, so if this is just him being a bada$$ and taking out cartel guys, I don't know.

Okay, just watched the trailer. That looks pretty generic. Villenueve not being there is more of a big deal to me than Emily Blunt not being in this. I know you can't judge completely by the trailer, but that just looks like a maybe okay action movie with action movie clichè dialog.

noname74 likes this.
  7. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I'm in, it's my kinda flick. That said, without Blunt it seems like it'll just be another shoot 'em up/blow 'em up!;) Which will automatically make it inferior to the 1st.

8. Tokyo Ghost

Tokyo Ghost Senior Member

The writer of the first movie, Taylor Sheridan, is writing this new one too. His most recent film, Wind River, got really good reviews. So hopefully this new film will be a worthy sequel. I doubt it will be typical Hollywood action flick. Trailers can be misleading.

9. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Taylor Sheridan on what we can expect: "When I told them I would write it, they asked for the traditional studio call and the outline and all that, and I said, “No, no, no, guys. The first one was original. I’m just going to go away and I’m going to come back with it and there you go.” And they trusted me to do that, and then read it and were like, “Ah, ****. We’re in a lot of trouble.” It makes the first one look like a comedy. Yeah. I’m not the guy to ask to write a sequel." (Yikes!)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    alexpop likes this.
  10. alexpop

If they keep to the script it should be good then. Wasn't impressed with the trailer..looked a bit formula.

11. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

Saw this Friday, first showing, loved it, incredibly intense. I see a new film first showing every Friday and I will say this film drew the largest Friday morning crowd I've ever experienced. Some guys behind me (jerks) started laughing as guys at the start of the movie were being shot, at about a quarter of the way through to the end of the movie, no more laughter. This movie is that intense.

In closing I had no idea this movie was a sequel; I can't imagine the first installment could better this … but if it does I'm in for a treat.

Brenald79 likes this.
  12. alexpop

Unusual to surpass the original.

13. Mainline461

I took my wife to see this yesterday (after I had seen it Friday) and she thought it was a great picture. The theater was sold out (I am not a fan of having to sit up front in the last remaining seats).

When we got home we did a search for the first installment and it was on FX last night (what a coincidence) so we watched it. IMO the second is a much better film; the main reason being it doesn't have the whining Kate (Emily Blunt) and the meddling Reggie (Daniel Kaluuya) characters (both fine performances though). The story imo doesn't require such a strong foil which is eliminated in the second. The flow is much better in the second, the two hours felt like one. Sicario: Day of the Soldado has Brolin and Del Toro doing their thing minus the irritating element of the Kate and Reggie characters. Oh and Isabella Moner is incredible as Isabel Reyes (I hope she's back for the third). If you're a fan of the first imo there is no way you could be disappointed in the second … even if you are a strong Blunt fan which I am.

alexpop likes this.
  14. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Spoilers for the first one! Beware!

Am I the only one that felt good about the innocent children being shot at the dinner table in the first movie? I felt, "good it serves you right" regarding the evil Cartel boss.

15. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

In terms of the movie's moral calculus, it was simply retribution for what the Cartel guy did to Alejandro's family. Arguably, Alejandro showed infinitely more mercy in his dispatch. In all liklihood, the two sons were going to be Cartel Boss jrs. That said, it all reflects back on the moral challenge that drives the film - can you even 'fight' a drug war in a conventional way? Emily Blunt's reluctance to embrace those methods was conscience stirring, yet she obviously didn't offer an alternative solution. No one does. Even the corrupt cop Silvio probably didn't have much of a choice. That's one reason the film was so powerful and unnerving. Now that the Cartels have moved more into human trafficing, it's a tragedy that won't be alleviated by 'conversations' or 'community meetings'. Maybe there should be more acknowledgement that Mexico is basically a failed state run by cartels, or at best a country in moral paralysis, apparently unable to purge itself.

16. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Might go see this later. The trailer dampened my expectations with the cliche' action movie dialog. And that scene of Benicio Del Toro doing the rapid fire from his pistol to kill the guy just looks ridiculous and not at all in keeping with the character established in the first movie. He wasn't a showy guy. Who shoots a gun like that? It looks like something from one of the Bad Boys movies.

17. Mainline461

I was completely stunned he shot them, like whoa he actually did it … but as far as the story he pretty much did what he had to do. Those sons would have become terrors watching their father die had they lived.

Don't let the trailer dampen your expectations, Del Toro keeps his image of just plain frozen cool. Anyway the trailer from the first one is below, it contains the same trailer fodder, cliché ridden dialogue you'd expect from trailer for a film such as this.

18. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I'm in. I loved the first film and I trust the writer, having liked Wind River a well.

Mainline461 likes this.
  19. C4rl

C4rl Forum Resident

I saw Sicario 2: Soldado on Saturday and was a little disappointed to be honest, it’s not a bad film by any stretch I just don’t think it’s as good as Sicario. One thing that really stood out for me in Sicario was Johann Johannsson’s menacing ever present soundtrack which really built up the tension and danger throughout the film. In Sicario 2: Soldado there’s almost a total absence of that until the last few minutes when they play in The Beast by Johann Johannsson from the original film.

I also concur with other comments about the scene of Benicio Del Toro rapid firing his pistol to kill the Cartel boss being out of place; in the rest of both films he’s been cold, precise and clinical with all his shots, a stone cold killer, that scene was like something from teenage buddy cop film.

20. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I'd rate Sicario 9.8 on a scale of 10.0. Soldado is maybe a 8.7 Some of the sequences in the opening 20 minutes were riveting, especially the way the store bombing was staged. But it seemed to take a while for the film to cohere. IDK, maybe that was more an issue of the script than the direction. Nonetheless, it became more and more involving as it went along. SPOILER FOLLOWS

The entire premise of starting a cartel war seemed to be tossed aside after awhile - certainly not much of an indication evidence they actually fired up a war. Maybe that was reserved for the 3rd film (and the closed door at the end suggests a wide open door for a sequel).

21. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I thought Soldado was pretty good but lacked the visual artistry Villeneuve and Roger Deakins brought to Sicario. It was more of a run of the mill crime drama/action movie. Also I thought it was pretty ludicrous that
    Benicio survived being shot in the head.
    The final scene didn't seem too plausible to me either. Why would Del Toro's character seek that character out?

22. alexpop

Spoiler

Found the ending dissapointing myself.
    Have to wait another year for Soldado part 2.

Wonder if there will be a longer blu ray directors cut.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  23. alexpop

Why ?
    Initially revenge.
    " so you want to be a Soldado"

24. Mssisem

Mssisem Forum Resident

First movie much better

25. alexpop

Starting to look like a mini-series.

Michael likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.