Moby - "Play": New "Re-recorded" version via Vinyl Me Please

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dudley Morris, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dudley Morris

Dudley Morris Resident Thread Starter

So this album is Vinyl Me Please's record of the month for January 2018, and along with remastering it and supervising the pressing, Moby has apparently re-recorded parts of the album to make it sound "better than it ever has." VMP is so far being kind of cagey about how much of the album has been redone, which isn't always a reassuring sign. So I figured I'd see if anyone here had more info on this, as well as to give a heads-up to interested parties. It certainly looks like a great package in the usual VMP style...

[​IMG]

2. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

I don't know anything about the technical innards of this particular release, alas, I was one of the many people who all but ignored it at the time....but I know it was recorded at Moby's home studio in 1998....

I wonder if maybe some of it was originally recorded in 16-bit (say, for instance, I'm just guessing here, but if let's say he had an Alesis ADAT or HD24 or another early hard drive recorder in his home). And maybe he just re-did those particular parts in 24 bit, or on better equipment, or found a way to mix the whole thing again with the original tracks at a higher resolution in Pro Tools, and decided to go one step further and replace some individual parts. Again, I'm just 100% speculating, but if I was going to mysteriously re-record "parts" of an old album from the late '90s, that is certainly a likely potential culprit that I would be suspicious of. The samples he used from blues CDs and whatnot would all be the same audio quality, coming from a CD, no matter what, but (for example) he could take the same exact synth he used from his 1998 studio (assuming he still owns it, or has another one like it) and he could replay a bass line synth part, and record that in a higher resolution, that would totally improve the fidelity of a track without being radically different, or a complete re-do. Or maybe in 1998 he just had some not-so-hot preamps or certain lo-fi parts of his signal chain (my understanding is it was mostly a "bedroom" recording) and maybe he wanted to fix some bits that had always bothered him, and make it better. That's my guess. Interested to know more.

3. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

Great point! ...and if those synth parts were recorded as midi it would basically be the same performance in better fidelity. @coniferouspine

coniferouspine likes this.
  4. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I’m very exvited for this release. I joined Vinyl Me Please back when the offered their exclusive pressing of Fiona Apple’s “Tidal”. All of the records I’ve receive from them have been great quality, quiet and flat, and their packing for shipment is excellent. I really enjoyed Miles Davis’s “Sorcerer” which was December’s record of the month.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  5. DigMyGroove

cyclistsb likes this.
  6. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Sounds like great news. Love Play.

7. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Hey DMG...I wonder if our Sugar Cubes will remove the record clicks recorded on the album? Ha!

8. DigMyGroove

If their track record on quality holds it won't have too!

Chemguy likes this.
  9. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I'll stick with my original pressing.

DHamilton, Gavinyl and Neonbeam like this.
  10. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I'm in....he record never sounded bad to me (at least for a 90's digital recording on vinyl), as it was very congested and dense musically. I'll take the gamble on this...its an excellent record.

11. theclipper

theclipper Forum Resident

12. phish

phish Jack Your Body

I have an original pressing, but I'm going to get this one and check it out. I missed the re-press that happened a bit ago. Did anyone get that/check it out?

13. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

PM me if you want a referral code.

CircularLogicRob likes this.
  14. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

15. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

This line sets off alarmbells to me :(

16. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

same here. It's on the way though. I was on the fence for this. Hoping for the best.

ToneLa likes this.
  17. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

I just had an evil thought. What if Moby got sick of the beautiful, soulful blues samples (wasn't there some lawsuit or criticism of his profit?) and "improved" them with modern singers with modern technology? Shudder.

If autotune appears on this album I'll be mad! ;)

Realistically I'm hoping for posterity of a classic.

18. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

The joke is there are pops and clicks that were included within the samples on the record. This was discussed in the other thread. What exactly would the Cube do to a record like Portishead - Dummy where surface noise/crackles/pops are intentional?

19. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Got my shipping notification too...don't have an eta...

Crazyhorse11 likes this.
  20. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

Oh man don't scare me. I love Portishead.

I just imagine some doofus listening for the first time, and going... Ooh, pops? Nasty crackles? **** man, some noise reduction will "fix" that.

Tape hiss is warm, pops are soothing, crackles make me pop. When it's INTENDED it's oh so beautiful. And when it's not intentional it can still give warmth and gravity.

21. wbhendrix

wbhendrix Forum Resident

i'm really excited about this release, i signed back up for a monthly membership and cannot wait for this to come in the mail!

Mr. Explorer and Crazyhorse11 like this.
  22. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

The latest Underworld record does this too...I was really upset when one of the tracks had a lot of surface noise, then when I played the digital version in my car I was shocked to find it was on the recording....LAME!!! but ok once I knew

ToneLa likes this.
  23. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

24. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

25. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.