Paul McCartney Archive Collection - 'Forthcoming Releases' [TBC]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thrillington, Mar 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

But the reappraisal of McCartney II was as a result of the Archive edition surely (as opposed to the Archive edition being as a result of the album's reappraisal)....

Lewisboogie, Mr. Explorer and supermd like this.
  2. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I want Red Rose Speedway remastered, damn it! It's one of my favorite Wings albums, and definitely my favorite of the ones yet to be remastered. Lots of bonus goodies could be included, too. Come on, original double LP... *fingers crossed*

3. Syl76

Syl76 Forum Resident

And it would make a great Japanese SHM-CD mini LP !

Mr. Explorer and Oyster Boy like this.
  4. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

McCartney II had been receiving reappraisal from the "indie" world for some years prior to the Archive edition. My perception was that the Archive edition simply confirmed what much of the music press was already saying.

I think Paul likes all of his work. He may downplay something in public, or avoid some album, or era, but I think he likes everything he ever did. Two examples: First, if an interviewer talks positively about a "lesser" album, Paul joins in. However, if asked about periods considered to be his fallow periods, he'll refer to the commonly held opinions (early 70s, mid 80s). My take is that he is guided by social acceptance, and this is consistent with his personality. John Lennon made observations along these lines about Paul, but in different contexts. Paul does what he wants. But when put on the spot, he want to be pleasing - even if that means shooting down his work. Second, listen to the commentary on the McCartney Years DVD. He has clear and vivid recollections of all those songs. I think he could talk about Press To Play as much as he talks about Band On The Run, but no one wants that. However, in the relative secrecy of a commentary track, we find out that Paul really likes the work he did on Press To Play. Now.... to get to re-releasing those "lesser" albums, that's a different story. My guess is that they would sell roughly the same as the more successful albums. Regardless of the album's quality, who else but the "super fans" will shell out $80-140 on a deluxe edition of an album they already have on vinyl, and probably multiple CDs?

I think it will happen eventually, even if it takes Mary pushing him. Mary seems to hold Wings near and dear. That was her childhood. Both sets of albums have a narrative in their making. And those years were Paul's prime hit-making years, as well as probably some of the most enjoyable years of his life. The music he was making is intertwined with that. I guess we'll just have to wait and see though.

jricc, Paul H, supermd and 7 others like this.
  5. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

My analysis of the 4 remaining Wings albums possibly getting Archive Collection releases:

WILD LIFE - not much there to ignite public interest other than documenting the rough, barely rehearsed liftoff of Wings. Maybe the addition of '72 live material will help this album get the Archive Collection treatment. (30% likely)

RED ROSE SPEEDWAY - Could possibly ride the coat-tails of "My Love" and "Live And Let Die" and get the Archive Collection treatment but the rest of the tracks are pretty unremarkable and boring. (55% likely)

LONDON TOWN - This sleepy album has "With A Little Luck" and "Mull Of Kintyre" going for it but not much else. Very low energy release as Wings sound like they are suffering from a hangover from the highly successful, but apparently energy draining '75/'76 tour. (35% likely)

BACK TO THE EGG - Like 'Wild Life', not much to promote this energetic, but uninspired album. The period single "Goodnight Tonight" was quite a hit in the States. Couple that with a bonus disc of live recordings from the '79 tour and this would be a no brainier to add to the Archive Collection series. (60% likely)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    DrBeatle, Hep Alien and Frank like this.
  6. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

Maybe his interest in Neil Young will lead him to put it all on a massive website of his own or have Capitol do it for him. My goodness... how many engineers are out of work and recording studios closing .. you'd think there'd be a glut of people who could assemble books and remaster records out there who would love to be doing this work and could be getting this stuff out.

RAJ717 likes this.
  7. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Yes! I'll have what he's having. And throw in WILD LIFE stuff too!

jricc and supermd like this.
  8. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I will box anyone who slags off Back to the Egg! :wantsome:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

9. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Very well, thank you. I've had the last six months off work, doing "a Lennon" ("you know, baking bread, looking after the baby"). Harder work than I ever imagined it could be. But joyously rewarding.

I'm sure Denny was merely giving an honest answer, but I know - from my own job - how frustrating it is to get criticised for not delivering something that someone else, who was in no position to do so, has promised.

Yes, absolutely. That's what I wanted and hoped and expected of this project. My suspicion, though, is that McCartney believes that what has been issued are the definitive editions. That is, he doesn't believe that complete equates to definitive. And, again, he's not wrong. I recall Peter Gabriel altering the running order of So and claiming that the "new" order was how he'd always wanted it (but had been stymied by the limitations of technology at the time). So which version is now definitive, the original or new one? Gabriel would say the latter; as someone who played the original album to death as a teen, I'd find it hard to let go of the original...

DrBeatle, freddiebell, Rigsby and 2 others like this.
  10. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Would be surprising if NEW gets an Archive edition release.^^

11. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Come on, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel.

jlf and Mr. Explorer like this.
  12. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

Am I the only person on the planet that like GMRTBS?!?

13. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

No, there is me as well:)

siveld, Paul H, Tord and 1 other person like this.
  14. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I can follow what you are saying. And if these Archive sets were being released one at a time, then I would fully agree with you (even though I am a fan of Wild Life, as many know). For example, I just do not see a groundswell of interest in a re-release of just London Town (except for the diehards here), and there is almost no "story" to tell to generate outside interest. So they would be a hard sell.

However, if the albums are released in PAIRS, then the percentages increase dramatically, especially for the first 2 albums. By pairing Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway, you have a fun and interesting story of the origin and early history of Wings. You can even ignore discussing the albums, and just have Paul talk about starting a band with his beloved Linda, doing the unannounced college tour, riding around on a bus while on tour in Europe, "Live and Let Die" (the film song and working with George Martin again), etc. Lots of meat tofu for Paul to munch on, so to speak. Plus the unreleased live tracks from 1972 and the many non-LP singles (Hi Hi Hi, C Moon, Give Ireland Back To The Irish, Mary Had A Little Lamb, etc.) make this much better than just analyzing each original album one at a time. So overall I think the "excitement" level would be much higher for a pairing of Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway. And Linda must have an incredible archive of photos from that period too, so the whole package should be tops. I THINK that either Flaming Pie or a pairing of Wild Life/Red Rose Speedway is next up (whenever the "coming soon" snail arrives, which still may not be until 2019).

And the same goes for a pairing of London Town and Back To The Egg. The "story" though isn't as good as the story for Wild Life/Red Rose Speedway, but it does allow Paul to tell the tale of the late history and end of Wings. The Rockestra film and the live material from the 1979 UK tour, however, would perk things up. On a personal level, I think Paul has better memories of the early start-up time of Wings as opposed to the last stage of that band. But I definitely believe that London Town and Back To The Egg will be released at the same time.

Now that I think of it, the best way to present the start and end of Wings, and the best way to generate interest in these albums, would be to release all FOUR at the same time. It would be very unlikely for MPL to do this, but I could see this method selling better than even doing them in pairs. Maybe Capitol has some personnel who could convince Paul to just get all 4 out at once, rather than dragging them out.

15. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I wouldn't be surprised if New gets an Archive edition release... eventually.

I would be surprised if it happens before Londontown/Back To The Egg/Red Rose Speedway/WildLife get Archive edition releases.

Mr. Explorer and andrewskyDE like this.
  16. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Well... I guess there are two. :laugh:

For the record, I don't think it's horrible. Just less than most [if not all] other McCartney releases.. Yes, I would rather listen to Press and WildLife than GMRTBS.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  17. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb RĂ©sident du forum

Thing is, it kind of already did...
    [​IMG]

18. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Nah. That doesn't count. There's no box and digital download and book....

But I'm sure all that material [and hopefully more] would be in the Archive edition.

Mr. Explorer and andrewskyDE like this.
  19. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

The reason why I don't like listening to Broad Street is because I don't like the remakes of old songs on it.

I think the new songs were all great and I listen to them on occasion.

DrBeatle and Mr. Explorer like this.
  20. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Amazon description (partial):
    The NEW Collector's Edition is a 2 CD and 1 DVD package in a hard bound book

Sean Murdock and Johnny Reb like this.
  21. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

My opinion?
    No More Lonely Nights - good, not great
    Not Such A Bad Boy - mediocre
    No Values - decent tune, mediocre performance
    Goodnight (Lonely) Princess - forgettable fluff

Wow, I just noticed how negative the song titles of the originals on this album were: No More Lonely Nights, Not Such A Bad Boy, No Values.. :wtf:

DrBeatle and Mr. Explorer like this.
  22. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Paul's subconscious was trying to tell him that the reviews for the film were going to be NEGATIVE. ;)

23. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

For No One (and Yesterday / Eleanor lyric-wise) as well from the covers

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  24. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb RĂ©sident du forum

Exactly! It's a great set that mops up the album and bonus tracks nicely, I'd bet heavily against it getting another such re-release until it turns 30 or something.

Mr. Explorer, Oyster Boy and Zeki like this.
  25. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.