Who only listens to Beatles remixes and not the original mixes and remasters?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bherbert, Sep 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident Thread Starter

This post is not intended to put down the original mixes or start a debate. I'm genuinely interested to hear if some people only listen to the remixes and ignore the original mixes and remasters. There are a few remixes on the market now so one could potentially have a modest Beatles collection just based on owning all the remixes available.

DK Pete likes this.
  2. bherbert

As for myself, this is my current Beatles playlist:

PPM - Mono '09
    With The Beatles - Mono '09
    Hard Days Night - Stereo '09
    Beatles For Sale - Stereo '09
    Help - Stereo '09
    Rubber Soul - Rock Band Remix '09
    Revolver - Mono '09
    Sgt Pepper - Remix 2017
    MMT - Stereo '09
    White - Stereo '09
    LIB - Naked '03
    AR - Stereo '09
    YSS - 1999
    Beatles 1 - 2015 Remix

A mix of stereo, mono and remixes :)

FJFP and ispace like this.
  3. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

It always depends on my mood which versions I prefer...
    I like the original mixes and listen to my UK stereo Parlophone LPs regularly...but I really love the remixes on YSS and SPLHCB and 1...I want to compile a full 1967 CD-R for me, but there are some songs missing from MMT as remixed versions...I hope they will be available sometimes.

4. bherbert

I'm also hoping for future remixes. I'm not big on mono so remixes are of interest to me. Especially if Giles keeps using the mono mixes as the source of the remix. For me that is a perfect mix.

marc with a c and sathvyre like this.
  5. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

When I listen to the Beatles, for everything up to and including Sgt Pepper, it's the mono vinyl albums I play. With the White Album I try to alternate between the Stereo & Mono LP's, the same goes for Let it Be & Let it Be Naked.

6. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

If a person only listened to remixed Beatles material, then you would limit yourself to listening to only about 10% of their catalog. No thanks!!!! I listen to everything.

7. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

I only listen to stuff up through '65 normally and it has to be in mono or it annoys me. Ha ha.

If I listen to the later Beatles that I like (Let It Be album and The Ballad of John and Yoko and a few other random songs), the originals are what I want to hear.

therockman likes this.
  8. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Well... You've got:
    Help [1987]
    Rubber Soul [1987]
    Sgt Pepper [2017]
    Yellow Submarine Songtrack [1999]
    Let It Be... Naked [2003]
    1 [2015]

I would say that covers at least 30% of the catalog.

And that's not counting Live At The Hollywood Bowl and Love...

The Beave and bherbert like this.
  9. bherbert

What is your current lineup?Here’s mine:

Please Please Me - Mono
    With The Beatles - Mono
    Hard Day’s Night - Stereo
    Beatles For Sale - Stereo
    Help - Stereo
    Rubber Soul - ‘09 Rock Band Mix
    Revolver - Mono
    Sgt Pepper - 2017 Remix
    Magical Mystery Tour - Mono
    White Album - Stereo
    Let It Be - Naked Remix
    Abbey Road - ‘09 Rock Band Mix

Lot’s of remixes in there mixed with some mono and stereo :)

10. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

That's an interesting way of liking Beatles music but hey, whatever pleases You. How about some Beatles ringtones?

11. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The only remixes of the original albums I’be heard are the 87 George Martin Help and Rubber Soul, and the 2017 Giles Martin Pepper. I find them inferior to the original mixes for all the often mentioned reasons.

All the other albums of remixed material are really supplemental. Let it Be Naked and Yellow Submarine Songtrack are really different albums, not remixes. The US Rock and Roll Music, Love, Beatles 1 and 1+, etc. are all essentially new compilations. All of these are nice to have to supplement the original albums. The only one that I would say I never listen to is Beatles 1, where I find the mixes so inferior to the original singles that I can’t imagine any reason for putting it in.

Cronverc likes this.
  12. qrysdonnell

qrysdonnell Forum Resident

In all honesty, I'm mostly listening to whatever Alexa plays, but when listening on my own I'd tend toward the 2015/2017 remixes if they're available. The 1 remix CD has the distinction of being the lone CD in our car (physical media is dead, but might as well put something in there) and it's been a good way to get my kid exposed to the band.

But if I'm going to listen to an album on my own, the 2017 remix of Pepper will probably win out, and I'd say I probably lean toward the Naked version of Let It Be, but it's not like I play either often.

13. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Original US albums (vinyl rips) mainly these days - stuff like Second Album, Y&T and Hey Jude.

It's for my occasional nostalgia fix.

bherbert likes this.
  14. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

YSS is all remixed songs.
    LIBN has two different performances [Don't Let Me Down and The Long And Winding Road] and the rest are all remixes of the same tracks from Let It Be.

15. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I have been listening only to the remix of Sgt. Pepper since that came out but I have no doubt I'll be revisiting the original mix in time. Much as I may like the new version, i always have a heart for an album sounding as it did to begin with (even if the remix is better). I even put on the original mix of Aqualung on occasion (as opposed to the far superior SW mix). I'm sure part of it is nostalgia...that feeling of hearing the album as I did the first time I heard it...but in terms of the many Beatles versions of albums/individual tracks, i go back and forth to all of them. It had been a while but, last night I put on the American album versions (on CD)of The Second Album and Beatles VI...it was actually refreshing.

16. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

For You Blue and I've Got A Feeling are not the same as the original album. FYB goes to a different version for the last verse and I've Got A feeling is a combination of the Spector album version and another performance. The title track is also a different performance.

GLYNSTYLER and Gila like this.
  17. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I understand that. I meant that they are different albums with different tracklistings, missing some tracks, adding others. In the case of Yellow Submarine, of course, it’s missing an entire side of music. I don’t view them as remixed albums.

18. 905

905 Senior Member

Someone needs to bump this question in about 5 years :D

bherbert, Cronverc and bluemooze like this.
  19. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I've never heard that. What's your source? [I would like to know as it sounds like the same performance to me.]

Or are you referring to the slightly different edit on I Me Mine perhaps?

I know I've Got A Feeling is a combo, but I was considering it a "remix" as most of the track is the same performance. I fine line, I supposed but yes it is technically not only a remix.

20. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

I likely will once they all (I presume) come out. It's difficult to listen to just the stereo remix of Pepper while listening to mono for the other albums.

I can't wait until the new mixes come out though. I'm interested to see how they approach each album. For example, the first two, will they release only mono? Or will they go the Ron Furmanek approach and bring each track closer to the center.

Gila and Contact Lost like this.
  21. Contact Lost

Contact Lost Forum Resident

If my favorite songs are available on 1+ or Sgt. Pepper 2017 (including the extracted tracks from Blu-ray of both 1+ and Pepper) - I listen only to these versions.
    Sometimes I prefer Love version of the song Help! over the version from the 1+ (but this is mainly mastering difference, mix is exact same, imo).
    And I'm absolutely in love with Giles's mix of A day in the life taken from the video (this is exact same mix as on the 2017 album, but without cross fade in the beginning (crowd noises).

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  22. slane

slane Forum Resident

For You Blue simply uses a line or two of the original 1969 vocal near the end (done I suspect because it slightly leaked through anyway). Spector used the overdubbed 1970 vocal all the way through. And though George's acoustic guitar is reinstated, it's only really faded up between vocal lines (otherwise the 1969 vocal would leak through from that track). The acoustic guitar intro on Naked is also different.

Let It Be is the same take (27A) as usual, but has the guitar solo section from Take 27B. Parts of the latter take are also spliced in occasionally elsewhere, though in some cases there are elements of both takes running simultaneously. Very naked! This also means that the bass part switches from Paul to John and back again.

I've Got A Feeling is a pointless edit between the superior performance used by Spector and the inferior take.

But all 3 are only variations on the 'master' takes, all in all. TL&WR and DLMD are the only 'new' complete versions on Naked.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    DK Pete likes this.
  23. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I very much enjoy listening to the 87 George Martin Help and Rubber Soul remixes, and the 2017 Giles Martin Pepper. I find them superior to the original mixes for all the often mentioned reasons.
    I also enjoy listening to Beatles 1, where I find the mixes so superior to the original singles that I can’t imagine any reason for playing them.

Funny how we all hear things differently. :)

bherbert and jmxw like this.
  24. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Thanks. I love how much I can learn from this forum... :righton:

25. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

The only source is my ears, to be honest. .I know what Slane is saying inasmuch as these are not complete new performances..but i was just pointig out that they're not quite the same versions from the Spector album in remixed form; they're composites...but yes, the only *complete*, fully different versions are those of DLMD and LAWR.

slane likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.