From "First to Worst"-When good TV shows go bad.*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by hbbfam, Jun 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

IIRC, Joel was appearing less the final season and they began focusing on the other characters more (ed, the office woman, the dj)and things just seemed clumsy (how many times do we do the Ed in a surreal world bit), but that last episode (with its classical overtones) was just so right in its mix of weirdness and reality. I remember so clearly when we watched the next few shows and the wife and I looked at each other and said "this thing is dead". It was such a steep fall in so short a time. Yes, obviously, no one thought anything through--they must have thought they had a gravy train with another year at least to ride out.

2. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Right, given the situation, I would have preferred if they'd ended it with the episode where Joel leaves. The new doctor and his wife were awful characters, though, as much as I like Teri Polo as an actress (Sports Night, anyone?).

I just read about a proposed revival of the show, which sounds like a really bad idea.

MikaelaArsenault and kevywevy like this.
  3. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Oh God, no. Prayers needed.

4. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Once the geeks went from not being able to find dates to marrying gorgeous blonde bombshells, the concept kind of got lost.

MikaelaArsenault and Benno123 like this.
  5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I thought this was excellent series.
    Ending was not as one would have expected regarding a satisfactory resolve. Another season would have had a better chance methinks.

6. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Lost went downhill in the third season. They focused too much on The Others at the expense of more popular regulars. Bad integration of new characters and storylines happen a lot on fantasy shows. The Walking Dead suffers from this, too.

Vidiot likes this.
  7. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Seinfeld to me got better and better until the finale. It’s like the show out grew Mr. David so when he went to write one, it stiffed.

Silver Spoons (for what it was) was good until they tried to capitalize on more 80s trends, including a more techno version of the theme song.

8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Minus: Erin out of tight space suit.
    Plus: Erin now in skirts and heels

Instant Dharma, bmasters9 and Keith V like this.
  9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Larry David has said he totally panicked at the end of every season when he realized they were going to need to come up with dozens and dozens of new show ideas, and he'd be convinced there were absolutely no new plots they hadn't already used. The stress of that was what caused David to quit at the end of the 7th season. Jerry Seinfeld himself took over as showrunner for the last two seasons, but even he chose to finally end it with the 9th season, mainly out of exhaustion. I actually like a lot of the final episode of Seinfeld, but I get that it's a very mean-spirited, nasty episode that I think kind of freaked-out a lot of viewers.

thestereofan, Solaris and Keith V like this.
  10. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

You bet-- that's why, at least in my view, any of the DVD releases thereof (seasonal or all-in-one) would be huge wastes of money (of course, YMMV-- I never cared for Seinfeld, but if others like it, more power to 'em).

thestereofan likes this.
  11. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Maybe it's just me, but I find almost all TV characters to be unlikeable. It's a relief when shows like 'The Sopranos' or 'Seinfeld' or 'Always Sunny' embrace the unlikeability and run with it. It's shows like 'Friends' or 'Sex And The City' or 'Big Bang Theory' that are filled with people I can't stand but act as though they expect me to agree that they're wonderful that gets on my nerves.

I only need to like the show - it's too much to ask that I have to like the characters as well.

12. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I agree they were awful but they way the finale exposes is it is painful to watch. Maybe that’s what Larry David was going for. Well not even maybe :)

woody and thestereofan like this.
  13. Miriam

Miriam Forum Resident

Friends - after season 2

14. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I don't like the "Seinfeld" finale either but the tag of Jerry doing stand-up in prison was pretty funny to me. I wish they shortened the trial, which in addition to just not being that funny, was far too "clip show" for my taste, and expanded on that ending.

Or then there's Jerry Seinfeld's suggestion, which is rather amusing (I know I've heard him say this but this is from a Reddit thread):

I'm still disappointed they didn't end the series the way Jerry Seinfeld himself once proposed with the four of them, a year after getting out of prison, stumbling into Monk's where Jerry just goes, "Well, THAT was brutal."

15. You hung in longer than I did, I think. I'd say by around season 10 or 11 I couldn't stand it anymore, and it had been one of my favorite shows.
    Season one was my favorite.

16. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

do reboots count? if so: MST3K origin incarnation: brilliant. 2017 re-launch: unwatchable

17. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I loved Seinfeld but I could barely watch the last season because it totally felt to me that they were saving up the good bits for the last episode which I did enjoy.

18. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

That’s how I feel about The New Girl, which my wife loves. I don’t particularly care for the cast, but Zoey Deschanel is by far the most irritating of the lot, and she plays the main character.

93curr likes this.
  19. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Watched the pilot and that was enough for me. I don't get the appeal of a 30-year old woman who acts like 12-year old.

beat_truck and 93curr like this.
  20. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

The Brady Bunch - Cousin Oliver :confused:
    Scooby Doo - Scrappy Doo :mad:
    Sesame Street - Elmo :realmad:
    The Dukes of Hazard - Coy and Vance :yawn:
    Land of the Lost - the 3rd season after Marshall left :thumbsdow
    Star Trek TOS - another 3rd season drop off, perhaps not to "worst" but the line should've been "where is brain?" :rant:
    M*A*S*H - when Klinger stopped wearing dresses :nyah:

21. the pope ondine

and BJ grew a 'stache

22. Maccaroni

Maccaroni Forum Resident

Dexter was a pretty solid downward slide season after season right down to the utterly ridiculous series finale.

23. the pope ondine

yeah those last few seasons were pretty ridiculous.

Maccaroni likes this.
  24. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

When BJ eschewed his combat boots for black Converse High Tops somewhere around season 8 or so is an even better indicator IMO. Suffice it to say that Radar leaving was a real dividing line for M*A*S*H.

25. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I don't equate TWD in the same league as the high brow L O S T.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.