Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2017

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I wondered about that myself. I specified 2015 "FF" in my post, though, so I assumed that's the one to which PhantomStranger referred... :shrug:

hellion likes this.
  2. Fox rushed the 2015 FF movie into release. In their contract with Marvel is very specific language about how often they must make a new FF movie, or the rights revert back to Marvel. Fox had to release that FF movie within a certain time frame. Trank promised Fox he could do a FF movie much cheaper than their X-Men films, which is one of the main reasons he was hired besides his experience on Chronicle, which was a decent, non-branded exploration of teenagers with superpowers.

If it hadn't been for the rights situation, I don't think Fox would have even attempted mounting a FF movie in 2015. They know the property is valuable but the X-Men movies have been real moneymakers for them.

Maggie and Vidiot like this.
  3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

As we know, Trank was very bitter on how the Fantastic Four reboot was taken away from him during editing and recut by other people and released, and issued nasty tweets about Fox. He subsequently lost several jobs (including one of the Star Wars features), so the new industry expression is "you've been tranked!" -- meaning, you've been fired off several movies for being too critical of studio bosses.

SandAndGlass and benjaminhuf like this.
  4. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Even if they had given the director more time to edit it or whatever, I think it was beyond saving. That movie was a mess in so many ways, it's hard to know where to even start. Of course, I am one of the few who actually liked the first two FF movies even though they were pretty goofy. Nothing has come close to the tone and gravitas of the comic book stories though and it will take someone with a real vision and a decent budget to do it justice. Fox should just throw in the towel and stick to pumping out X-men movies. The inherent soapy teen/young adult element is more in their wheelhouse. I actually liked Apocalypse a lot better than I thought I would.

Vidiot likes this.
  5. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Maybe too stellar. I just saw it and it was hard to see what all the fuss was about. Seemed like the movie was over before it began. If I had just stumbled across it without any preconception I would have thought it was an okay little low budget thriller, but with all the hype I expected a lot more. Most of the cast is given very little to do, it telegraphs it's punches and there were some tantalizing loose ends that never got explored. A more leisurely pace might have ratcheted up the suspense and made for a much better story. My concern is that this is endemic of the kind of movies Hollywood must make now in order to accommodate our every shrinking attention spans. Interesting ideas that don't seem to get fully fleshed out. I understand that maybe the racial commentary was the most important thing, and I mean no disrespect. I just thought it could have used a little more time to unfold. Loved the TSA guy though.

6. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Heavily promoted by objective film standards, but for a $100+ million comic book movie it really was dumped. The release date was pushed back several times, it came out late in the summer, a planned 3D conversion was canceled, it wasn't shown to critics, etc.

And a lot of the $120 million budget was spent on reshoots. I believe the original budget was under $100 million.

7. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

There is nothing they can do FF.. I enjoyed the first two movies..
    I wanted a real type being in galactus not mr smoke..

PhantomStranger likes this.
  8. Vidiot

I agree 100%. I got to work on a small film done by the original Fantastic Four director, Tim Story, and he was a very nice man who knew what he was doing and was very good to work with. The first two films were merely "OK" to me, but that recent one was an absolute trainwreck in every way. I totally agree it was bad from the script forward -- nobody could've made a good movie out of that mess.

9. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

noticed the movie Downsizing being advertised this weekend. wow, i think Matt Damon is on a real dud streak.

Vidiot likes this.
  10. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I have high hopes for Downsizing, if only because it's by Alexander Payne, who's done some great films (The Descendants, About Schmidt, Nebraska, Sideways).

I get the feeling it's a lot "deeper" than just the gimmick of people being shrunk down, as portrayed in the trailer. Will it be a huge box office smash? Doubtful. But I'm betting it'll still be worth seeing.

11. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I think it's supposed to be satirical. And satire is a hard sell at the theater.

12. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

yeah maybe so. i imagine that would be a difficult premise to market.

13. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

(multiple post...Gort please yank this one)

MekkaGodzilla likes this.
  14. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Well, they tried pleasing studio kibbutzers, they tried pleasing fans...howabout this time around, pleasing the creative teams, more emphasis on actors over starpower, and budgets that will keep the studio from sending in micromanaging suits to ride-herd over nickels and dimes?

You know, the way the second Star Trek movie was handled after all the too-many-cooks approach with the first one?

sunspot42 likes this.
  15. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

The only reason why the second Trek movie wasn't overwhelmed by studio idiots is because it was initially produced for the TV division of Paramount, which wasn't seen as prestigious. So while there was some meddling, the more toxic figures at Paramount largely stayed out of the day to day operation of the production.

They pulled off Wrath Of Khan for something like $9 million I think, and to this day it's arguably still the best-looking of the Trek films, with the most effective special effects. Subsequent films - especially the reboot Treks - have spent a vast fortune only to end up looking like cluttered videogame cutscenes.

16. Vidiot

And to close out this thread from me, here's an amusing article from Variety:

The Worst Films of 2017

The list (from two of their top critics):

1. “Trespass Against Us”
    2. “Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
    3. “The Book of Henry”
    4. “Slack Bay”
    5. “T2: Trainspotting”

1. “Nocturama”
    2. “The Emoji Movie
    3. “Fist Fight”
    4. “The Snowman”
    5. “Downsizing

I had a feeling Emoji Movie, Downsizing, and Jumanji would not do great, but the others are iffy. Book of Henry was such a bomb, it basically got the director fired off one of the Star Wars films.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Never saw any of them!

18. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I watched Valerian on DVD, the other evening with a friend of mine. We both liked it. I don't go into a Luc Besson movie that has a 5th Element type of CGI eye candy visualizations, with the expectation of it being a cerebral sort of movie.

Yes, it had that redux aura about it, but really, most of the Star Wars movies have that same feeling, so I am not sure what would set this movie apart from any other redux movie?

I generally do not go to movies that just want to pile on the SFX and have little else to offer.

But, we were impressed with the over the top special effects. It was like watching the video equivalent of Dark Side of the Moon.

I think that it deserved to do much better than it did at the box office. Hard to believe that it only had a 17-million dollar opening. I would have thought that with the video gaming generation, this would have been a far more popular movie.

That the critics do or do not like a movie, means absolutely nothing to me.

19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Jumanji" is at 79% on RT with 101 reviews counted, so it looks like Gleiberman is an outlier there.

"Downsizing" is at 58% but I'll probably still see it because I've liked Alexander Payne's other films...

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Kind of surprised that Jumanji made the list. While I have not seen it and I wasn't planning on seeing it, I would have thought that it would have been made to be at least a decent attempt at following up on the original film.

21. Vidiot

I think that's true as well: The Great Wall, Downsizing, and Suburbicon. Not going well.

22. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Last Jedi is at ca 93% at RT, but audience rating is only ca 55%. It's usually the other way around

23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That probably means it's actually good!

Plan9 and ohnothimagen like this.
  24. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

My friend who likes Star Wars said it was pretty bad. I don't think I'm going to see it based on his and other peoples thoughts about it

25. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

The rumor around the interwebs is that the Rotten Tomatoes score has been skewed by disgruntled fans using multiple accounts and bots to post fake reviews.
    Last Jedi Rotten Tomatoes Audience Score Is Fake News
    It's been said that Cinemascore is far more accurate. Cinemascore catches moviegoers as they leave the theater to get their reactions. The audience reaction on Cinemascore is an "A."

Pete Puma, Olompali and sunspot42 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.