SPIRIT - It Shall Be : The Ode & Epic Recordings 1968-1972

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by moops, Dec 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moops

moops Senior Member Thread Starter

It appears Esoteric Recordings will be releasing a new SPIRIT box, Feb 2018.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shall-Ode-...F8&qid=1513836215&sr=1-1&keywords=it+shall+be

NEW REMASTERED 5 CD CLAMSHELL BOXED SET FEATURING EVERY RECORDING RELEASED BY THE LEGENDARY SPIRIT FOR ODE & EPIC RECORDS BETWEEN 1968 - 1972

INCLUDES THE ENTIRE MONO MIX OF THE 1968 ALBUM SPIRIT ON CD FOR THE FIRST TIME, ALONG WITH THE SOUNDTRACK TO THE FILM THE MODEL SHOP, THE ORIGINAL 1968 STEREO MIX OF THE FAMILY THAT PLAYS TOGETHER, ASSOCIATED OUT-TAKES, SINGLES AND ALTERNATE MIXES UNDERTAKEN IN 1991 FOR THE TIME CIRCLE COMPILATION

INCLUDES AN ILLUSTRATED BOOK WITH AN ESSAY BY MALCOLM DOME AND FEATURING ARCHIVE INTERVIEWS WITH BAND MEMBERS

Esoteric Recordings are pleased to announce the release of a new 5CD remastered clamshell box set by the legendary American band SPIRIT.

Formed in Los Angeles in 1967 from the remnants of The Red Roosters, SPIRIT was one of the great bands to emerge on the US West Coast in the Psychedelic era. Featuring the talents of 16 year old guitarist Randy California (who had played guitar with Jimi Hendrix in New York the previous year), his step-father drummer Ed Cassidy along with Jay Ferguson (vocals, percussion), John Locke (keyboards) and Mark Andes (bass), Spirit signed to producer Lou Adler’s newly established Ode Records label in late 1967.

Their self-titled debut album appeared some months later and demonstrated the breadth and diversity of the band covering psychedelic, rock and jazz influences and featuring such legendary cuts as Fresh Garbage, Uncle Jack, Topanga Windows, Mechanical World , Elijah and Taurus (the subject of a court case decades later when it was alleged Led Zeppelin had taken the musical structure of the piece as a basis for Stairway to Heaven). The band’s follow-up album, The Family That Plays Together, spawned the hit single I’ve Got a Line on You and was one of their finest works thanks to material such as It Shall Be, Aren’t You Glad, Silky Sam and Darlin’ If. Leading up to the recording of 1969’s Clear album Spirit recorded the soundtrack to Jaques Demy’s film The Model Shop. In 1970 Spirit recorded the classic The Twelve Dreams of Doctor Sardonicus for Epic Records, from which the single Animal Zoo was taken and included excellent material such as Nature’s Way, Mr Skin, Space Child, Morning Will Come and Soldier. Sadly the original line- up of Spirit fell apart some months later leaving just Ed Cassidy and John Locke to assemble a new incarnation of Spirit for 1972’s Feedback, which saw brothers Al and John Staehely join the band on bass and drums respectively. Spirit went on hiatus soon after, although California and Cassidy would continue to tour and record as Spirit on and off until California’s untimely death in 1997.

Newly re-mastered, this anthology features all of Spirit’s recordings for the Ode and Epic labels between 1968 and 1972 and notably includes the entire mono mix of the band’s self-titled debut album (appearing on CD for the first time), the complete soundtrack to the film The Model Shop, along with original 1968 stereo mix of The Family That Plays Together, associated out-takes, singles and alternate mixes undertaken in 1991 for the Time Circle compilation. It Shall Be also includes an illustrated booklet with essay by Malcolm Dome featuring archive interviews with Randy California and Ed Cassidy.

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

$34.00 not bad. Hmmm...

keyXVII and rockclassics like this.
  3. moops

moops Senior Member Thread Starter

Yeah, that's what I thought too ...... and it's got plenty of time to drop a little further. :thumbsup:

Never pictured Esoteric wrangling a deal to release this ...... should be interesting to see how it pans out.

4. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Total cost shipped to US is actually about $32.49

5. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

Sounds like a good deal.

6. Brandon Benwell

Brandon Benwell Ready An' Willin'

Will Jimmy Page be doing the liner notes?

Hombre, Guy E, Big Train and 14 others like this.
  7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Yeah, I didn't take it any further than the product page, before VAT was removed, and shipping added.

8. Paul Stevenson

Paul Stevenson New Member

I wonder who this is licensed by? I think Lou Adler is still alive and still owns the/some publishing rights to the 1st 3 albums, not sure how much of the publishing rights got sold to Sony. Probably everything.

9. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Jimmy Page will be COPYING the liner notes.

10. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

11. Just for clarification the associated out-takes, singles and alternate mixes undertaken in 1991 for the Time Circle compilation were or weren't used for Time Circle?

slipkid likes this.
  12. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Cool, although if I'm reading this right it won't include a stereo mix of the first album which seems unfortunate.

footlooseman likes this.
  13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

[​IMG]

Description
    Esoteric Recordings are pleased to announce the release of a new 5CD remastered clamshell box set by the legendary American band SPIRIT. Formed in Los Angeles in 1967 from the remnants of The Red Roosters, SPIRIT was one of the great bands to emerge on the US West Coast in the Psychedelic era. Featuring the talents of 16 year old guitarist Randy California (who had played guitar with Jimi Hendrix in New York the previous year), his step-father drummer Ed Cassidy along with Jay Ferguson (vocals, percussion), John Locke (keyboards) and Mark Andes (bass), Spirit signed to producer Lou Adler’s newly established Ode Records label in late 1967. Their self-titled debut album appeared some months later and demonstrated the breadth and diversity of the band covering psychedelic, rock and jazz influences and featuring such legendary cuts as Fresh Garbage, Uncle Jack, Topanga Windows, Mechanical World , Elijah and Taurus (the subject of a court case decades later when it was alleged Led Zeppelin had taken the musical structure of the piece as a basis for Stairway to Heaven). The band’s follow-up album, The Family That Plays Together, spawned the hit single I’ve Got a Line on You and was one of their finest works thanks to material such as It Shall Be, Aren’t You Glad, Silky Sam and Darlin’ If. Leading up to the recording of 1969’s Clear album Spirit recorded the soundtrack to Jaques Demy’s film The Model Shop. In 1970 Spirit recorded the classic The Twelve Dreams of Doctor Sardonicus for Epic Records, from which the single Animal Zoo was taken and included excellent material such as Nature’s Way, Mr Skin, Space Child, Morning Will Come and Soldier. Sadly the original line- up of Spirit fell apart some months later leaving just Ed Cassidy and John Locke to assemble a new incarnation of Spirit for 1972’s Feedback, which saw brothers Al and John Staehely join the band on bass and drums respectively. Spirit went on hiatus soon after, although California and Cassidy would continue to tour and record as Spirit on and off until California’s untimely death in 1997.

Newly re-mastered, this anthology features all of Spirit’s recordings for the Ode and Epic labels between 1968 and 1972 and notably includes the entire mono mix of the band’s self-titled debut album (appearing on CD for the first time), the complete soundtrack to the film The Model Shop, along with original 1968 stereo mix of The Family That Plays Together, associated out-takes, singles and alternate mixes undertaken in 1991 for the Time Circle compilation. It Shall Be also includes an illustrated booklet with essay by Malcolm Dome featuring archive interviews with Randy California and Ed Cassidy.

TRACKLIST: HIDE
    [CD1]
    1. Fresh Garbage
    2. Uncle Jack
    3. Mechanical World
    4. Taurus
    5. Girl In Your Eye
    6. Straight Arrow
    7. Topanga Windows
    8. Gramophone Man
    9. Water Woman
    10. The Great Canyon Fire In General
    11. Elijah

Taken From The Stereo Album “Spirit” Released In 1968

12. I Got A Line On You (Original 1968 Stereo Mix)
    13. It Shall Be (Original 1968 Stereo Mix)
    14. Poor Richard (Original 1968 Stereo Mix)
    15. Silky Sam (Original 1968 Stereo Mix)
    16. The Drunkard (Original 1968 Stereo Mix)
    17. Darlin’ If (Original 1968 Stereo Mix)
    18. All The Same (Original 1968 Stereo Mix)
    19. Jewish (Original 1968 Stereo Mix)
    20. Dream Within A Dream (Original 1968 Stereo Mix)
    21. She Smiled (Original 1968 Stereo Mix)
    22. Aren’t You Glad (Original 1968 Stereo Mix)

Taken From The Album “The Family That Plays Together” – Released In 1968

[CD2]
    1. The Moving Van
    2. Mellow Fellow
    3. Now Or Anywhere
    4. Fog
    5. Green Gorilla
    6. Model Shop I
    7. Model Shop Ii (Clear)
    8. The Rehearsal Theme
    9. Song For Lola
    10. Eventide
    11. Coral
    12. Aren’t You Glad (Demo)

Taken From The Film Soundtrack “The Model Shop” – Recorded In 1968

13. Dark Eyed Woman
    14. Apple Orchard
    15. So Little Time To Fly
    16. Ground Hog
    17. Cold Wind
    18. Policeman’s Ball
    19. Ice
    20. Give A Life, Take A Life
    21. I’m Truckin’
    22. Clear
    23. Caught
    24. New Dope In Town

Taken From The Album “Clear” Released In 1969

[CD3]
    1. Prelude – Nothing To Hide
    2. Nature’s Way
    3. Animal Zoo
    4. Love Has Found A Way
    5. Why Can’t I Be Free?
    6. Mr Skin
    7. Sp Ace Child
    8. When I Touch You
    9. Street Worm
    10. Life Has Just Begun
    11. Morning Will Come
    12. Soldier

Taken From The Album “The Twelve Dreams Of Doctor Sardonicus” – Released In 1970

13. Rougher Road

Recorded In 1970 During Sessions For “The Twelve Dreams Of Doctor Sardonicus”

14. Chelsea Girls
    15. Cadillac Cowboys
    16. Puesta Del Scam
    17. Ripe And Ready
    18. Darkness
    19. Earth Shaker
    20. Mellow Morning
    21. Right On Time
    22. Trancas Fog-Out
    23. Witch

Taken From The Album “Feedback” Released In 1972

[CD4]
    1. Fresh Garbage (Mono Mix)
    2. Uncle Jack (Mono Mix)
    3. Mechanical World (Mono Mix)
    4. Taurus (Mono Mix)
    5. Girl In Your Eye (Mono Mix)
    6. Straight Arrow (Mono Mix)
    7. Topanga Windows (Mono Mix)
    8. Gramophone Man (Mono Mix)
    9. Water Woman (Mono Mix)
    10. The Great Canyon Fire In General (Mono Mix)
    11. Elijah (Mono Mix)

Taken From The Mono Album “Spirit” Released In 1968 Previously Unreleased On CD

12. Veruska
    13. Free Spirit
    14. If I Had A Woman
    15. Elijah (Alternate Take 2)

Recorded In 1968 During Sessions For “Spirit”

16. I Got A Line On You (“Time Circle” Mix)
    17. It Shall Be (“Time Circle” Mix)
    18. Poor Richard (“Time Circle” Mix)
    19. Silky Sam (“Time Circle” Mix)

Taken From The 1991 Compilation “Time Circle”

[CD5]
    1. Scherozode (“Time Circle” Mix)
    2. All The Same (“Time Circle” Mix)
    3. A Dream Within A Dream (“Time Circle” Mix)
    4. Aren’t You Glad (“Time Circle” Mix)
    5. Eventide (“Time Circle” Mix)
    6. Model Shop Theme (“Time Circle” Mix)
    7. Green Gorilla (“Time Circle” Mix)
    8. Rehearsal Theme (“Time Circle” Mix)

Taken From The 1991 Compilation “Time Circle”

9. Fog
    10. So Little To Say
    11. Mellow Fellow
    12. Now Or Anywhere
    13. Space Chile

Recorded In 1968 During Sessions For “The Family That Plays Together”

14. Fuller Brush Man
    15. Coral

Recorded In 1969 During Sessions For “Clear”

16. 1984
    17. Sweet Stella Baby

A & B-Sides Of Single – Released In 1970

18. Animal Zoo (Mono Single Version)
    19. Red Light Roll On

A & B-Sides Of Single – Released In 1970

20. Morning Will Come (Mono Mix)

Recorded And Mixed In 1970

Amazon USA
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0789TBXQ1/?tag=imwan-20

Amazon UK
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0789TBXQ1/?tag=imwan-21

14. fast'n'bulbous

fast'n'bulbous tight also

According to the tracklist on spincds.com it contains Feedback but not The Family That Plays Together. That has to be a mistake.

BrokenByAudio and slipkid like this.
  15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The publisher has no say over the (re)release of the material. That would be whoever owns the masters. I think Adler sold the rights to this material to Columbia years ago...

16. fast'n'bulbous

fast'n'bulbous tight also

Ah ok, the tracklist above looks better. And it has the stereo first album.

17. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Thanks for the heads up about this.
    I have the original albums, The Family That Plays Together CD and the Time Circle set already so I guess I'll wait on this until I get some feedback regarding if these sounds any better than what I already have.

I saw Spirit twice in 1969 and they were great live.

It makes me sad that Randy, John and Ed have passed on.

18. Mixfo

Mixfo Forum Resident

I assume the 1984 single is in mono again. I wonder why no-one has attempted a stereo mix of it. Lack of original masters?

Larry Geller likes this.
  19. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

no Mono I Got a Line on You single?

20. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Has that been on CD? Maybe tapes are lost for that too.

21. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

nope. It's one of those 'punchy' AM speaker mixes, too.

22. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

I just watched Model Shop and there is a song that appears twice while Gary Lockwood is driving around that isn't on the soundtrack or any other Spirit album; its got lyrics unlike most of the soundtrack. I wonder what happened to it.

Mechanical Man likes this.
  23. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

This song was never mixed to stereo. Mono only.

24. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I was wondering the exact same thing. If they are ON Time Circle then I have no interest in this box. But if they were not released, then I have to consider picking it up despite not wanting/needing the albums yet again.

25. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

What are the chances of Esoteric releasing a vinyl box on this? I do not want to buy the CD's just to have a vinyl box released shortly after.

Tojo and Preston like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.