Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. drh

drh Talking Machine

Felix Weingartner and the old Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (not the later one founded by Beecham). Columbia, 1927. Not an easy set to transfer, by the way; each side has that creeping speed problem that afflicted many English Columbia recordings at the time.

fluffskul likes this.
  2. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

The final Bruno Walter recording is available in 3.0 SACD...

3. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

If you're new to Beethoven or just the 6th, and at all interested in listening in 5.1, I'd strongly recommend avoiding older recordings for your first step - there's a tendency to look back at older recordings due to nostalgia and imprinting (and in fairness, some of them are really good). Once you're familiar with the piece absolutely go back and listen to the recordings being suggested. For your first step though pick up the SACD set of the symphonies Vanska did for BIS or Haitink did with the LSO, for not much more than the cost of a single audiophile SACD. The sound quality in 5.1 is excellent, and the performances are really good. There's no absolute best, but these sets are better first steps for Beethoven.

4. Wolfspaw

Wolfspaw Forum Resident

Ubertrout gives great advice. I have the Haitink and the Vanska sets and they are great places to start. My favorite is probably Karajan but if you want a modern sound that knock your socks off, try Ivan Fischer on Channel Classics, but fair warning his 6th is controversial.
    [​IMG]

I have heard nothing but good things about Paavo Jarvi's 6th on Sacd
    [​IMG]

fluffskul and ubertrout like this.
  5. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I received my Serkin box a few days ago (others were Complete Munch/BSO RCA and Amadeus Quartet), I've listened to discs 1-4, disc 36 (the Beethoven PC 5) and some unreleased recordings.

Brief notes, mostly played discs I hadn't heard before:
    -the 1960 Op.110 is mighty exceptional, only knock on it is the loud breathing/occasional humming but that is easy to overlook when it is that damn good
    -the early piano concertos on those early RCA recordings are very fine performances, didn't quite warm to the Brahms Piano Concerto 1 though that is more on the conducting/orchestra
    -earliest recording of Moonlight Sonata didn't quite move me, though need to play this on speakers instead of headphoens (skipped Pathetique, did a comparison a few weeks ago so leaving this for another time)
    -Beethoven PC5 with Berstein sounded pretty damn good to me, very dynamic with 13/15/14 DR and a naturally rich sound from the orchestra, typical of Lenny. IMO this disc sounds just as good the Great Performances CD and might even be the same mastering

Munch- Beethoven S9, only heard this on Youtube before this, dazzling performance though quite brisk, awesome performances from the solo singers, choir weren't quite as good. Not the greatest early stereo recording.

Worked out to around $110 per box including shipping, so quite nice deals. Better than the last Amazon Italy 3 for 2 sale I took part in.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    crispi likes this.
  6. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

That is my favorite performance of that work. And that sonata is my favorite Beethoven piano sonata.

Yeah, I think the sound on that Bernstein PC5 in the box is OK, I just prefer the more open sound on my 35DC.

Nice price. I got lucky on my Serkin box. (It was free!)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  7. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I can see that, the disc from the box has a warm mastering. I've always liked this performance, I'll keep my eyes out for that disc.

You can't beat free :D

8. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

https://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Symphonies-Ludwig-van/dp/B002QEXN6Q

This one?

Thanks for sharing. And @Wolfspaw Karajan is a favorite of mine as well... I've got a Tulip LP of it and love it.

Wolfspaw and ubertrout like this.
  9. ssstand

ssstand Forum Resident

I purchased that Cortot box chiefly because it was so inexpensive--it is an eye-opening collection. Cortot plays very differently than most pianists popular today, but his musicianship is peerless. A wonderful set.

crispi, hvbias and George P like this.
  10. George P

Absolutely! :agree:

crispi likes this.
  11. George P

[​IMG][​IMG]

Now enjoying Serkin playing Brahms Handel Variations and Op. 119 from the bog box. This is 67 of 75 discs, which I have thoroughly enjoying listening to, in order.

JMR likes this.
  12. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Indeed and very well mastered, EMI/Warner masterings are the ones I worry about when it comes to excessive noise reduction. This set has plenty of that snap, crackle and pop just as if you were listening to those good old fashioned black platters ;)

If I am recalling correctly this is the first disc of Cortot's that turned me onto his playing:

[​IMG]

crispi likes this.
  13. George P

:agree:

That Cortot set was lovingly mastered/transferred by Studio Art and Son of Paris. Whenever I see their name on a historical release, I do not hesitate.

ssstand and hvbias like this.
  14. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

The review on Arkivmusic said that they utilised previous transfers for some of the material. Which wouldn’t surprise me, since they would have had to otherwise transfer almost thousands of 78s. Not to speak of having to locate copies first. I wish labels would be more forthcoming about the sources they use. And it would be nice to be able to preview some tracks before buying, but I can’t find any previews online.

15. George P

In my comparisons, thankfully, I did not notice that anything in the new box that sounded like any previous EMI transfer, but then I didn't own every one.

I agree about both points. They really should be more forthcoming. And samples are certainly reasonable, given the amount of investment people would potentially be making.

crispi likes this.
  16. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

17. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

18. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

What great art in the slow mov. of #25:

[​IMG]

JMR, royzak2000, Wes H and 2 others like this.
  19. George P

[​IMG]

First spin (work and performance), from the big box. Only a few minutes in, but the playing is lovely.

royzak2000 and Wes H like this.
  20. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

hvbias likes this.
  21. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Image isn't showing for me, which disc is it?

22. George P

hvbias likes this.
  23. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Thanks, I've never had much luck having Discogs images show up when directly linked with IMG tags. Anyone else?

Finished listening to Serkin playing the Hammerklavier 1969/70 recording from the Serkin box. A very fine performance, one I'll be playing often. The one I still have seared in mind is Gilels' last live recording, also great. @George P or anyone else have you heard Serkin's earlier recording of the Hammerklavier from the early 60s? I did some searching but can't seem to find out which disc this would be on. Or how about the BBC Legends performance from 1971?

Will try Discogs again, does this show up?

[​IMG]

24. George P

Nope. This is the first I am hearing of it.

Nope.

Yup.

25. George P