Onkyo C 7030 CD player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tullman, Sep 11, 2011.

1. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

One more thing: Wolfson was acquired by Cirrus Logic in 2014. Cirrus still still makes some chips with the WMXXX part/model number, but the 8718 is not on their website:

Cirrus Logic, Inc. | Cirrus Logic

Click on "products", then "audio d/a converters", then scroll down.

3. John Saunders

John Saunders New Member

Saw those, just got off the phone with a US customer service rep. Sat on hold for quite some time while he contacted an engineer. Engineer said they are supposed to be WM dacs. They are going to get one and take the top off and verify the AK chip. Asked them to verify the 7050 integrated also so I can purchase one. Just sent Onkyo a photo of the AK chip in my unit that I returned.

scobb and patient_ot like this.
  4. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

You guys with Gungnir Multibit try to pause an album? The relays in the DAC really don't like it!

Some really bad quality phone pics...

Manufacture Date Feb 2014

WM8718 DAC and some opamps. That goo looks to be "vibration tampening adhesive"

[​IMG]

Pedestrian caps and rectifiers

[​IMG]

Opamp headphone amp

[​IMG]

Disc Transport looks pretty decent!

[​IMG]

Ei core transformer and choke(?)

[​IMG]

Ric-Tic, bluemooze and patient_ot like this.
  5. John Saunders

John Saunders New Member

Pics look great, looks like the WM dac in yours is the 24 pin. You can see the board is different in the AK dac unit that I posted a photo of. Thanks for taking the time to post photos!

patient_ot likes this.
  6. John Saunders

John Saunders New Member

7. John Saunders

John Saunders New Member

It wont allow me to post the photo in a reply to a conversation?

8. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

My 2014 from Amazon has the Wolfson chip as does my 2015 refurb from Accessories 4 less. Never had a single problem with either one yet.

arcamsono and patient_ot like this.
  9. John Saunders

John Saunders New Member

10. John Saunders

John Saunders New Member

Received a call from customer service today. Rep stated that my unit must have come from an overseas seller as they do use the AK chip in some markets. Said all units from Onkyo in the states do in fact still use the Wolfson chip! Case closed.

Vincent3, scobb, basie-fan and 3 others like this.
  11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Strange. How is Amazon U.S. an overseas seller? Did you buy direct from AZ or a third party? Also, wouldn't the voltages and plug differ overseas unit? Something smells fishy. I wonder also how they are still using the same chip when it appears they are no longer made by Cirrus Logic. They could be sitting on old stock of them, but still.

Are you getting another from Onkyo U.S. or elsewhere? If you do, please open it and post photos again here if you can. I'm just curious is all.

12. John Saunders

John Saunders New Member

Im curious also, if they are Japan units the voltage would be 100 right? And Amazon does sell items that are shipped from overseas, lots of diy Chineese items listed. Pricing for units built in other countries with different specs are shipped to Amazons warehouse and sold as US units? The rep I spoke to said if I order one directly off Onkyo website it would be a Wolfson dac. Thing is they spec the integrated amps, the 9010, also the 9050 as having the Wolfson dacs also. Not sure if these chips are even still available.

I purchased mine from Amazon new, didnt go for the warehouse deal, even though it was $40 cheaper than new. It shipped from Amazon, however had fingerprints all over it when I unboxed it. I have lost faith in Amazon, and to be quite honest not feeling real warm and fuzzy about Onkyo.

At this point Im thinking about using my old Denon as a transport, purchasing a Minidsp for my Audio Nirvana classic 12's that I just built, keeping my 1969 jlh class A amp for the AN'S, crossing at 80 hz, building a sub and using the mini dsp for room correction and sub integration.

I believe they changed chips, and are riding the Wolfson wave from when they originnally produced them. Things just dont add up. I wont be purchasing any Onkyo products.

13. John Saunders

John Saunders New Member

My old Cambridge 640c V2 used the Wolfson 8740's in dual differential. I pulled a leg off each Vout right off the chip to a couple of Claritycap MR caps to the rca jacks. Reclocked it with a Dexa clock, and Dexa regs around the dac, oscon caps around the dac and beefed up the power supply. Was an amazing player with plenty off bass slam, amazing vocals and just did everything right. Based on the specs of the 7030, which the clock specs are way better than the Cambridge player was stock. I thought I woulsd have a great platform to start with. Hence my dissapointment with the Ak budget dac which are Lout chip outputs.

missan, patient_ot and Mr.Sneis like this.
  14. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Fingerprints? Sounds bizarre, like they shipped you someone else's dud return by accident. I should mention my refurb had no fingerprints whatsoever. Amazon makes mistakes all the time, definitely weird but it could happen.

I think the likely scenario here is the original chip for this model was discontinued, Onkyo switched it and the U.S. division never got the memo from "corporate". Onkyo U.S. customer service is probably just regurgitating whatever is written on their outdated manual/spec sheet. To be sure, someone could order a few units direct from Onkyo U.S. and open them up.

The updated manual that Onkyo Europe has that I posted does not mention Wolfson or any other company for that matter. Odds are someone figured out that they might need to change the chip in the future, so better not to say what type/brand/model number.

Sounds like you already have some good equipment, I don't think anyone would blame you for just sticking with that.

15. John Saunders

John Saunders New Member

I lived in Phoenix for 6 years and had a Bryston SP2, 4BST with Klipsch rf-7, rc-7 with Bryston 5bst, Oppo bdp 83, the cambridge 640c v2 heavily modded.
    When the recession hit and we moved to Texas I liquidated all of my equipment.
    Have been trying to build a budget system that sounds great after all of the years of buying, selling, and trading equipment. Learned a lot on the way, and realized if I dont need all the bells and whistles, I can get a great sounding system without having to spend a ton of money.

Cheers!

Mr.Sneis, c-eling and patient_ot like this.
  16. John Saunders

John Saunders New Member

Just ordered a MINIDSP 2X4 HD and UMIK, built in dac and has a volume control. Feeling a subwoofer build coming on, crossing my AN fullrangers at 80 should make the 12"ers sing with the 10 wpc class a amp! Think maybe the Hiraga 30wpc class a build might be a good match for the sub.

17. Audioshot

Audioshot Well-Known Member

Think I'm going to pick up one of these Onkyo C-7030

18. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

just checked, under $150 on ebay right now

19. aloha

aloha Active Member

I just got the Onkyo C-7030, made in Malaysia June 2017.
    I opened it check the inside and when I looked at the chip dac it resembles more the AK4484VT than the wolfson look at the pics.Now I am no tech but I do believe that is the Dac chip but if Im wrong let me know.
    I bought it with the understanding of getting the Wolfson, the manual does not have the woflson dac listed in specification.
    To be honest the cdp sounds great out of the box but still debating if I will return it.

https://goo.gl/photos/emCzovy2DvYNwpSz5

20. creativepart

creativepart Forum Resident

I just picked up one of these C-7030's this week from Amazon - $130 with free shipping. The sound is good right out of the box. I happen to own a Benchmark Dac-1 USB that I wasn't really using anymore. So, I compared the 7030 to the Dac-1. The Onkyo is quite good, but I felt the Dac-1 was just that touch better than the Onkyo's built in Dac. The biggest difference between stock and the Dac-1 was in bass control and "air" around voices. But the difference is slight and I'd recommend the C-7030 as a good sounding CD player, especially for the price. Heck a cheap SPDIF cable costs as much as the entire CD player.

I'm mostly listening to vinyl - both old and new LPs. And, TIDAL Masters streamed through a Meridian Explorer 2 USB dac. I packed away all 12oo of my CDs 3 or 4 years ago. So, I brought down a couple dozen old favorites to have in my office/listening room.

I'm not sure why I care about playing CDs at all any more - what with TIDAL streaming so easy and convenient - but I guess absence makes the heart grow fonder. That's all I can figure out. Now... about Cassette Decks????

21. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Probably because they usually have only the latest crappy remastered album versions?

c-eling and patient_ot like this.
  22. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

Back in the day people would rent a Shelby Mustang from Hertz, swap the engine with their standard Mustang and return the Hertz car. Maybe somebody did that with your CD player

grx8 and florandia like this.
  23. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Nope, read more carefully. There was a change in the board because the pin layout between the two chips is different.

Also, my refurbished model is still going strong months later.

24. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Mine has been on 24/7 going on 4 years now without a single issue. I never turn it off, same with my Tead UD H01 DAC.

The spare refurb I bought last year I let run in for 2 weeks 24/7, it did not exhibit any issues at that time and into storage it went, recently I pulled it out of storage and let it warm up for a few days, I used it for a few weeks and didn't have a single issue with it. Back into storage it goes, if my first 7030 dies the refurb will replace it. Heck, if I get another 2 years out of mine, 6 years on a $130 CD player these days would be more than acceptable for me.

basie-fan and patient_ot like this.
  25. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

A question: I purchased both the C-7030 and the A-9010 amplifier. Apparently they each have the same DAC, a Wolfson WM8718. Is there an opinion about which DAC to use when listening? I immediately hooked up the CD player digitally, but I have cables and can hook it up in analog fashion. I can imagine there might be signal path or other advantages to one or the other.

Thanks for any input from forum members. Thoughts?