Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

After some real bad luck with getting the incorrect pressing of Cannonball Adderley's Somethin' Else from an Amazon third-party seller and Wayne Shorter's Speak No Evil not available at SoundStageDirect.com, which I'm lucky to get the full refund from the two incidents, I bought a Music Matters 33RPM LP of Joe Henderson's Page One from Amazon's warehouse for $50 CAD with free shipping included. Third time's the charm, I hope??

2. IanL

IanL Senior Member

You're going to love it! I have both the SACD and the 33rpm and it opened up the whole world of Joe Henderson to me.

3. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

After Christmas those are the top two on my list to get.

garrincha, Guitarded and Fender Relic like this.
  4. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Great way to start a new year.

5. guidedbyvoices

Playing Ike Quebec Blue and Sentimental, got it used but NM. Just noticed they put the wrong label on the b side, ha. After a spin clean, I’m bummed that side one still has a bunch of light ticks. 2 of the 3 songs are so quiet that they jump out more than on the middle song. Tempted to glue it since there’s no marks at all on it. But also hesitant to glue a $40 LP. Side two is dead silent. I know vinyl is imperfect but I’d expect only a couple of ticks at most. Maybe that’s unrealistic? Thankfully my Idle Moments is dead silent.
    [​IMG]

patient_ot likes this.
  6. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I would personally leave it alone. Play it a few times, then re-clean it. Wood glue is one of those last resort cleaning methods IMHO. I wouldn't use it because of a couple of ticks.

nosliw likes this.
  7. guidedbyvoices

Well it’s more than a few but I get your point. If it was a $10 record I’d already have it slathered on!

patient_ot likes this.
  8. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

FWIW IIRC mine has a few ticks as well but nothing major.

guidedbyvoices likes this.
  9. guidedbyvoices

I increased my tracking weight a little, 1.5 to 1.8, and the pops are minimized in volume and how many I hear. Not all gone but reduced and nowhere near as distracting. Huh. This is a weird hobby, the littlest things can make a big difference.

10. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Is that on the 440? FWIW I usually run my 440 styli between 1.6-1.8g.

11. guidedbyvoices

Yeah the 440mlb. I’ve always had it at 1.5 and it’s been fine. I guess I’ll keep it here at the heavier side. Wouldn’t have thought it’d make a difference in less surface stuff, but hey whatever works

12. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Just opened and played the two latest MM additions to my collection, both 45rpms - Art Blakey's Indestructible and Freddie Redd Quartet's Shades Of Redd. While the Art Blakey is a well known great album (I still prefer Moanin'), Shades Of Redd probably falls under many listeners' radar. I think I bought it because the description of having unusual compositions spoke to my ear. It's a GORGEOUS album with some wonderful playing. I highly recommend it.

While the Art Blakey album was flawless, the Freddie Redd album initially made me nervous. Side 3 on the 1st cut, there is a blotch about the size of a pencil eraser. I was worried that it would affect the play. I played through it and it played without any ticks at all. The first 3 sides played close to flawlessly, with one very short example of nonfill, this one hardly noticeable. The 4th side looked great, so I assume I'm out of the woods. But about 2/3rds into the last cut, I get a repetitive tick lasting about 7 revolutions. Ugh. There is no visual mark on the record I can see that would cause that.

I bought these directly from Music Matters. I'm a bit worried about trying to exchange the Redd given my history with them. But the record, between the visual blotch on side 3 and the repetitive ticks on side 4 make this a less than NM copy.

By the way, I bit the bullet on getting the 45rpm of Out To Lunch. This one is a hunch. Fellow member guitarded (Thank you!) generously sent me his unwanted DMM copy. He just wasn't getting into it. I wasn't sure I would. I received his copy and played it. It's a challenging listen, no doubt. As a trained musician with a degree, I can really follow almost any challenging music, even if I don't necessarily enjoy it (I have a hard time with Alban Berg, most of the time, for example). But listening to the DMM copy versus listening to it on YouTube, there's more of the musical nuance to appreciate. Still, if I even looked at my smartphone, I found my mind starting to wander. I really needed to concentrate. I found there was something worth listening to, even if it wasn't as warm and inviting as, say, the Freddie Redd album. As I doubt that a title like Out To Lunch will likely get reissued at the level of what Music Matters does, I decided to get a copy now before the price rises even higher.

I'll probably pass the DMM copy onto someone else who, like me, wants to check it out before spending money on a very good copy. It'll be like 'paying it forward'.

13. Gez

Gez Forum Resident

As someone who has recently been buying direct from Music Matters (with no issues so far, thankfully) and will likely have some future purchases, I am wondering what sort of customer service issues you have had dealing with them. Aside from the absolutely superlative musical product, I have so far been impressed with the fast shipping and great packaging (for a premium price, of course) but I have not had a reason to return anything yet. It sounds as if you had trouble with this?

I understand if you don't want to comment negatively at this time (there is enough of that floating around already) but just curious in case I have similar future issues.

e.s. likes this.
  14. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Please stay on topic.

KOWHeigel likes this.
  15. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

Ordered 2 MM 33rpm : Stanley Turrentine + 3 sounds; Blue Hour and Wahoo from Duke Pearson
    Received 2 days ago . Top quality like usual. Only "problems" : 3 weeks of delivery time; happily without custom charges
    as it was shipped thru USPS and the price of the vinyls. $55 and $65 ...
    Like usual, the s/H charges are awful : over $50 ...
    it's really strange as shipping from France to US costs €25 and similarly when i order from Japan, it's never over $30.
    America is a huge island ...

mikeyt likes this.
  16. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Maiden Voyage is one of my favorite jazz albums ever and I've been lamenting that I didn't get in on the Music Matters 33rpm action while it was in print (going for high $$ on Discogs) but then just went to their website and lo and behold it's there! Still not cheap ($60) but given the heaps of praise I'm seeing on the pressing I figured I probably shouldn't miss my chance. Also snagged the 45 of Point of Departure while I was at it. Expensive, hope it's worth it...

recstar24, beverett and mikeyt like this.
  17. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

It's well worth it. :)

musictoad likes this.
  18. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

I blissed out to 'Blue Hour' on Christmas night with a glass of red. Both were magnificent. Love 'Wahoo' as well.

19. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Point of Departure is amazing. Those two ought to be a great way to kick off a night of listening.

musictoad likes this.
  20. guidedbyvoices

21. guidedbyvoices

Ah what the hell. Grabbed Our Man in Paris and also Kenny Drew ‘undercurrent’ for $75 shipped. Gotta take advantage of sales

Bryce, AaronW, Morbius and 2 others like this.
  22. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Our Man in Paris is a favrite of mine. Hard to pass up good pricing on any of these.

patient_ot likes this.
  23. guidedbyvoices

I like it a lot too, I had the Blue Note 75th which is a little noisy, but I played it more than Go, love the Charlie Parker opener, and Stairway to the Stars is great too. I'll eventually get Go, and had planned on getting True Blue next, but it can wait (I hope!)

mikeyt likes this.
  24. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I feel like every time I play Our Man in Paris I'm in awe of how fun and awesome it is.

guidedbyvoices likes this.
  25. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

I was listening to Dexter Gordon - Go this afternoon. Has anyone noticed the huge difference in color between the Music Matters and AP reissues? The AP is an off-white / almost tan color, and the MM is pure white. Which one is closer to the original? It must have been a creative decision somewhere, because it's not subtle. I'm sorry if this has already been discussed... I just noticed and became curious about it.

patient_ot likes this.