"Roseanne" revival with John Goodman, Sara Gilbert and Laurie Metcalf.*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Apr 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Hawaii Five-O is a "next generation." They've had characters form the original show come back and continue their arc, using clips from the original show.

Rosanne (2018) is a simple continuation of the show that went off the air.

Rosanne (2018) will be a disaster - but I'll be watching. (She's even crazier now than she was back then.)

2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

:righton: :edthumbs:

stuwee and driverdrummer like this.
  3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I have my fingers crossed that it will at least be watchable and enjoyable, if not as great as the show was at its' peak. I highly doubt it will be "Season 9 bad".

4. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Agreed...and Emma is an amazing actress!

5. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Agreed...and Emma is an amazing actress!

6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Roseanne (the show) was at its best when it was firmly grounded in reality so I really hope the new episodes stay rooted there instead of going off into absurd, unlikely plot lines.

7. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I haven't watched the new series, but my understanding is that the new young actors are playing the same characters that were in the original series (Steve McGarrett, Danno, Chin-Ho, Kono). They aren't the children of the original characters who just happen to have the same names. Even if they've incorporated some of the continuity from the old series (such as the Ed Asner character you cited) I assume they never say that 40 years ago there was a completely different McGarrett, Danno, et al. Also, I see from doing some research that some actors from the original series have appeared in completely different roles too. So anyway, it is not a next-generation or legacy show. It seems to be an odd mish-mash which is mostly a reboot, with a few minor continuity elements brought in from the original series.

Whether the new Roseanne is a disaster will come down to the writers. The original series was so erratic and had so many shifts in tone because Roseanne chewed up and spit out writers. I am optimistic that it will at least be better than the final season of the original series, which would be hard to beat for awfulness. I wonder if they've succeeded in getting any of the old writers to come back, or if it's an all-new staff? I guess it depends on how good the current medications for PTSD are.

8. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

'Roseanne' surprise: See how the 'Second Becky' will be incorporated into reunion

9. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

What? Lecy Goranson is 43 years old! And I don’t think she was playing much younger than her real age on Roseanne. Who would ask a woman in her forties to be a surrogate?

10. AKA

That is pretty ridiculous if you stop and think about it. So is Darlene and David’s 14-year-old daughter, born in 1997.

rburly and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I was about to say that she could be a daughter they had later, but no, it's supposed to be the daughter we saw born in that episode isn't it? Oops..

12. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Well, maybe along with forgetting the final season they’re fudging how much time has passed and how old everyone is... they also seem to have forgotten that Roseanne had a fourth child!

13. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Up until you mentioned it I forgot about Jerry too! :laugh:

ianuaditis, MikaelaArsenault and AKA like this.
  14. AKA

I’ve heard Jerry and Andy (Jackie’s kid) are both mentioned, but never seen. They must be working with Michelle Tanner in New York.

15. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I actually think it would be interesting to have them both appear as characters on the show if it's expanded beyond the 9 episode run.

MikaelaArsenault and AKA like this.
  16. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I hope that Laurie Metcalf tones down the Barney Fife-isms this time around..

17. AKA

Christopher Lloyd will be in an episode, playing 90-year-old cradle robber Bev’s 70-year-old boyfriend.

18. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Outstanding!

19. AKA

[​IMG]

20. AKA

21. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I like Rosanne :)

22. AKA