Oasis (and solo) album-by-album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Haristar, Dec 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

Yet Noel claimed All Around the World, arguably the worst example of this gigantism on BHN, was written before he even got in Oasis i.e. while he was roadying for the Carpets. :confused:

2. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth Thread Starter

"I wrote this one ages ago, before "Whatever". It was twelve minutes long then. It was a matter of being able to afford to record it. But now we can get away with the 36-piece orchestra. And the longer the better as far as I'm concerned. If it's good. I can see what people are going to say, but **** 'em, basically. The lyrics are teeny-poppy. But there are three key changes towards the end. Imagine how much better Hey Jude would have been with three key changes towards the end. I like the ambition of it, all that time ago. What was all that about when we didn't even have our first single out? Gin and tonics, eh?"

3. Spear and Magic Helmet

Spear and Magic Helmet Forum Resident

I'm sure that was just Noel being Noel. He can say ridiculous things from time to time. This is a great example

Erik B. and Haristar like this.
  4. Harmonator

Harmonator Forum Resident

This album gets way too much bad press. Yes it’s over produced and bloated but underneath it all it had some top songs and that unmistakeable oasis sound.

Highlights for me are D’you know what I mean? Stand By Me, I Hope I Think I know, Girl In the dirty shirt, Don’t go away and It’s Getting Better Man.

Stay Young should have been on the album.

I would have included it ahead of the awful Magic Pie. I also love Flashbax and The Fame :righton:

Humbuster, FJFP, Erik B. and 3 others like this.
  5. Favre508

Favre508 Forum Resident

Honestly, I really like this album! I think this is another classic Oasis album, but its only fault is that it follows Definitely Maybe, and Morning Glory. the songs are overblown in the production , but I feel that the sound fits the songs perfectly. Dyou know what I mean, My Big mouth, I hope I think I know, Stand By Me, and the girl in the dirty shirt are all Oasis classics! this is a really underrated Oasis album in my opinion.

6. Favre508

Favre508 Forum Resident

Love this track, a really underrated b side that doesn't get enough praise.

Fullbug, Harmonator and Haristar like this.
  7. Favre508

Favre508 Forum Resident

Top 5 songs on Be Here Now
    1. Dyou Know What I Mean
    2. Girl in the Dirty Shirt
    3. I Hope, I Think, I Know
    4. My Big Mouth
    5. Stand By Me

Top 5 b sides
    1. Going Nowhere
    2. Stay Young
    3. Flashbax
    4. Angel Child
    5. My Sister Lover

8. Favre508

Favre508 Forum Resident

9. Spear and Magic Helmet

Spear and Magic Helmet Forum Resident

Love "Girl in The Dirty Shirt". There's some great Beatlesque chords (I know a LOT of their songs have Beatlesque chords). I love the fadeout with the keyboards and the melody is inspired.

Erik B. and Favre508 like this.
  10. Favre508

Favre508 Forum Resident

I completely agree, It's one of my favorite Oasis songs! I love the melody and the lyrics really work. the song always reminds me of the kind of interplay that Jagger and Richards had in the Stones, especially with the beautiful backing vocals of Noel. I especially like singing the "come dancing with me" part, to me this song is the essence of oasis!

11. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

madferrit

12. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

cocaine is a hell of a drug

13. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

"If I may be so bold that I just say something . . . come and make me my daayyy" ( love the melding of the two voices).

14. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

in

[​IMG]

15. Haristar

Over the last couple of days I've been planning out my own edit of "Be Here Now". I've worked out where I would shorten songs, which mainly involves editing out a verse or chorus if I think there are too many or shortening instrumental parts. For "D' You Know What I Mean" I'm using the music video version of the 2016 remix, and for "All Around the World" I also used the shortened music video version. I also removed "Magic Pie" and replaced it with the superior "Going Nowhere" which is also sung by Noel, and I also removed the "All Around the World" reprise. I also shifted "Fade In-Out" to the start as it would be a great opening track in my opinion.

1. Fade In-Out (4:43)
    2. D'You Know What I Mean (5:44)
    3. My Big Mouth (4:18)
    4. Going Nowhere (4:11)
    5. Stand by Me (4:07)
    6. I Hope, I Think, I Know (3:45)
    7. The Girl in the Dirty Shirt (4:41)
    8. Don't Go Away (4:03)
    9. Be Here Now (4:30)
    10. All Around the World (7:02)
    11. It's Getting Better (Man!!) (5:06)
    Total length: 52:10

This would shave 19 minutes off of the album.

Of course this still wouldn't make the album perfect as it would also need a full remix but I think it's a good start.

16. Favre508

Favre508 Forum Resident

I really like your edited version of Be Here Now, although I might replace fade in out with Stay Young.

Haristar likes this.
  17. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

This may be a weird thing to harp on, but I can't stand the drum beat on "Stay Young", which is also the beat on "Underneath the Sky". That incessant open hi-hat goes right through me for some reason.

I'm not a fan of Alan White's style, really. Even the drum machine keeping time on Noel's "BHN" demos seems preferable to me.

FJFP likes this.
  18. Overthehillsandfaraway

I have a soft spot for Magic Pie, so I'd leave it in and instead replace Don't Go Away which features the worst of Noel's "what rhymes with away?" -type lyrics. And add in Stay Young, between "Girl" and the title track

Haristar likes this.
  19. Be Here Now, the song, is great. And a great way to open a gig! That '97 Manchester G-Mex show opening with it is fantastic.

20. Overthehillsandfaraway

Owen Morris said that although White was a better technical drummer than McCarroll, the band lost something when he came in. I remember feeling (even at the time) that too many of his patterns sounded the same as he'd already done on other Oasis tracks.

BadJack likes this.
  21. kayley10

kayley10 Forum Resident

Be Here Now. Amazing album, my absolute favourite. Not a bad track on it apart from maybe The Girl In The Dirty Shirt. The only song that I find too long is It's Getting Better (Man!!!). All Around The World is my favourite piece of music of all time.

22. boiledbeans

boiledbeans Forum Resident

My favourite B-sides from this album are Flashbax (already posted earlier, I like the whistling part) and (I Got) the Fever, which has a great chorus

23. Haristar

I've been listening to My Big Mouth a lot over the last few days. I think it could be my new favourite track from this album.

I particularly like the Knebworth version:

If it was trimmed a bit and remixed it could have been a single.

24. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I like "My Big Mouth" but again, I hear Alan White playing the "Morning Glory" beat and it bothers me. He's like the programmed rhythms on a cheap organ, with "Rock 1", "Rock 2", "Slow Rock,"...

Sure, it's a silly peeve to focus on but there's not much rhythmic variety in those '95-'97 tracks.

25. clarkydaz

clarkydaz Forum Resident

they actually played My Big Mouth on their final tour, sounded great but nobody knew what it was

Erik B. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.