Status Quo album-by-album thread (50 Years of Quo)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JulesRules, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Wish he'd joined them. Quo were good friends with the Small Faces in the late 60s.

3. Almost Simon

Ha ha! Not a fan then. Its not very Quo or certainly wasnt back then but certainly did well for them, huge hit. A lot of radio play which did set them up for continuing long into the future. I liked it, but not so much now.

Man at C&A likes this.
  4. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I checked out for awhile after the Frantic Four broke up.

Man at C&A likes this.
  5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

No, not at all. I think it's a long plodder! I always thought it dragged live too. I'm not a Quo snob, well not much! I like Marguerita Time!

It did give them a much needed big hit when they needed it, but they looked crap and sounded horrible around this time. I was pleased to have them back then though, I remember feeling sad watching End of the Road. I was only 10. There's a deep rooted love of Quo in me. I always forgave everything!

carlwm likes this.
  6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Good move!

John Fell likes this.
  7. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug Thread Starter

The b-sides are almost all good to excellent, "Don't Give It Up" is probably the weakest of the lot.

Yeah, the FF would've played it chunkier, but I have no issues with the version as it is.

Man at C&A likes this.
  8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It was going along OK. At least the guitars sound like Quo and it's not as overproduced as the LP.

Then that sax solo!! Quo really were lost musically at this time.

Oh bloody hell, the sax has come back!

JulesRules likes this.
  9. JulesRules

I like the sax... :cool:

Man at C&A likes this.
  10. In The Army is ingrained into me.
    It's one of those songs, from that period that reminds me of dating my ex wife.
    I liked it at the time....I hadn't really liked anything by them for awhile.
    I never felt the band looked 'right' tho with the new members.....
    Thirty odd years on...I still like the single, but see it more as a oddity really now.

carlwm, JulesRules and Man at C&A like this.
  11. JulesRules

Yeah, if Francis really had been serious about starting a solo career, "Marguerita Time" and "In the Army Now" would have been ideal choices. And the band did look strange with the hair and all (Andy!). But they slowly started to find their feet as a live band and later managed to bring some of that back into the studio albums.

ITAN as an album sounds a bit confused and disjointed, but it's not all horrible IMO. As I said before, I'm very fond of "End of the Line":

carlwm likes this.
  12. Johns44

Johns44 Forum Resident

When I knew the Quo were coming back I was shocked to see there was no Nuff or Pete Kircher when I first saw the Rollin Home video. First impression was really good single not sure about the new boys (how they looked not how they played) a view which changed when I saw them live and of course Rhino is unrecognisble on stage now to what he was then. I like the album and it is much better than 1982 and Back to Back.

In The Army Now (1986)

1. Rollin’ Home (John David) 4:25 M/A As above...really good single. Very catchy and it is great live
    2. Calling (Rossi/Frost) 4:03 Don't mind this one but it does sound very dated 30 odd years later
    3. In Your Eyes (Rossi/Frost) 5:07 Same as for Calling
    4. Save Me (Parfitt/Rossi) 4:24 It's ok nothing more
    5. In the Army Now (Rob Bolland/Ferdi Bolland) 4:40 L Fantastic and a Quo classic. No idea why some don't like it. I've never grown tired of it and it showed that Quo can do different
    6. Dreamin’ (Rossi/Frost) 2:54 L Catchy single if a little too keyboardy
    7. End of the Line (Parfitt/Ricky Patrick) 4:58 Used to love this but again sounds dated these days
    8. Invitation (Rossi/Young) 3:15 It's ok
    9. Red Sky (John David) 4:13 M Love this one. Again a bit different for Quo
    10. Speechless (Ian Hunter) 3:40 Probably the only Quo fan who likes this.
    11. Overdose (Parfitt/Pip Williams) 5:24 L Same as for End of the Line

2006 Bonus Tracks:

12. Lonely (Parfitt/Rossi) 5:07 [B-Side of “Rollin’ Home”] Excellent
    13. Keep Me Guessing (Parfitt/Rossi/Young) 4:31 [B-Side of “Rollin’ Home” 12”] Excellent
    14. Don't Give It Up [+] (John ‘Rhino’ Edwards/Richard Lightman/Parfitt/Rossi) 4:22 [B-Side of “Red Sky”] Very 80's cheesy
    15. Heartburn (Parfitt/Patrick/Rossi) 4:22 [B-Side of “In the Army Now”] Excellent
    16. Late Last Night [+] (Parfitt/Rossi/Young) 4:45 [B-Side of “In the Army Now” 12”] Not bad
    17. Long Legged Girls [+] (Parfitt/Williams) 5:33 [B-Side of “Dreamin’”, original release 4:24] Ok but dated

Overall a solid return for the band and obviously a big selling album because of the title track doing so well. I'd give it a decent 6.5 out of 10

Almost Simon and JulesRules like this.
  13. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

Yeah, no...this is all ****e really. Haven't listened to the album for a long time and have no desire to ever listen to it again. And I know it shouldn't matter, but god was this line-up so terminally uncool - the Frantic Four looked like a bunch of bad-asses, here we have a permed clown on the drums and some nerd with a headless bass that he played just under his chin. Parfitt and Rossi look like a couple of yuppies too. Oh well, the 1980s eh? But at least Rhino had the decency to became less nerdy over time too so I guess I'll forgive him.

I also learned the other day that it's Noddy Holder doing the "stand up and fight!" bit from the title track.

streetlegal and Man at C&A like this.
  14. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Not played it in I don't know how long. Surprised myself in remembering the words to some of it. First Quo LP I bought. Was given '12 Gold Bars I+II' & 'From The Makers Of...' the xmas before. Stand out tracks are 'Rollin' Home', 'In The Army Now', 'Red Sky' & 'End Of The Lie'. The rest I'll happily never hear again. As Ma Kelly says above, the soft focus picture on the inner is terrible!

15. Johns44

Johns44 Forum Resident

Have to say I did think at the time that Rhino looked like he should be in Level 42 or some band like that, but over the years he has transformed into a different animal. Definitely been looking the part for over 20 years and every bit a rocker.

JulesRules likes this.
  16. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Not with that foul headless bass!

Ma Kelly likes this.
  17. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

This was my first Quo album as well. Picked it up in a charity shop a decade ago or so. I liked it well enough to continue exploring the band but it's definitely uneven.

For me it's Francis' songs that let it down. Whilst Invitation & Calling are decent enough (not fab, merely decent), In Your Eyes & Dreamin' don't come close to his usual quality & his co-write with Rick is b-side standard. Rick's other two songs are pretty good but it's the covers - not including the Ian Hunter effort. Hopeless! - that are the stand-out tracks. John David's two are excellent & the title track is a stone cold classic.

JulesRules likes this.
  18. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

It was one of Quo's road crew, not Noddy Holder.

JulesRules, Ma Kelly and Man at C&A like this.
  19. Johns44

Johns44 Forum Resident

Good enough for others like Geddy Lee. I just don't get the fuss over it being headless. As long as he rocks then does it really matter what his bass looks like?

JulesRules likes this.
  20. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

The BBC lied to me!

Man at C&A likes this.
  21. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It does! It looks ****! It suits him!

22. Almost Simon

He's a top player, especially live. I don't think the 80's image, those photo's suited them, hell, the same could be said for many bands from that decade. Leave the image aside and listen to him playing.

JulesRules and Man at C&A like this.
  23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I've nothing against him, I saw the Quo a lot with him and always enjoyed it. I'd just prefer it if he used a bass that looked more rock 'n' roll and less new romantic!

He's certainly a good player and by all accounts a good bloke too.

I thought Jeff Rich was an appalling drummer choice for Quo in every way though.

24. Almost Simon

Just to clarify my original post which i edited. When i said "it did improve" I meant the image, rather than his playing.

All i know on Jeff Rich is that he played with Stretch (who were that band that were originally the fake fleetwood mac in 1973,) then later had a hit. Also played with Judie Tzuke. Johns44 mentioned Climax Blues Band too. I never considered Jeff Rich really, but then every Quo drummer takes 2nd place to Spud. And they've had a fair few drummers through the years.

Man at C&A likes this.
  25. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I knew what you meant, Rhino was always a good bassist. He had to be as an experienced session musician before he joined Quo. I don't think he particulary rocks, he was in Dexy's Midnight Runners before Quo. Great band but nothing to do with rock 'n' roll. Rhino is almost certainly a far better bassist technically than Alan Lancaster, but the rhythm section has not sounded right in Quo since 1981. That's not say they haven't made some good records and played great live shows, but the groove and feel of classic Quo just isn't there. There's more of a soulless professionalism instead. I haven't heard anything particularly imaginative from Rhino or any of the post Spud drummers.

Ma Kelly likes this.