The Doors Live at Isle of Wight 1970, to be released in 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spyder52, Sep 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slp22

slp22 Forum Resident

Is it true that "Roadhouse Blues" and "Ship of Fools" wasn't filmed and other footage is used in its place? Can this absolutely be confirmed without a doubt?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  2. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

Where do people come up with this stuff?

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  3. slp22

slp22 Forum Resident

That's what i'm trying to figure out. I'd like to believe it's just a bunch of bs.

4. Pats Radio

It’s rubbish.

slp22 likes this.
  5. slp22

slp22 Forum Resident

Good! Someone said that Roadhouse Blues and Ship of Fools consisted of stock footage instead of the actual performances, as cameras weren't rolling during said songs, supposedly. I take it you know what you're talking about.

6. Pats Radio

Stock footage from where?

7. slp22

slp22 Forum Resident

Audience shots/festival footage substituted in place of the band performing Roadhouse Blues & Ships of Fools. That's what someone who says he/she has inside info has said on another Doors forum. I know past IOW dvd's have been lacking in visuals for every performance so they use shots of the crowd, or take snippets of footage from another song to fill in a gap here and there. I would like for once to see a show all the way through from start to finish. No cut aways or interruptions.

footlooseman likes this.
  8. slp22

slp22 Forum Resident

I'm hoping it is performance footage all the way through the show. The description of the dvd/blu ray led me to believe every song was captured on camera so we get the complete live experience.

9. slp22

slp22 Forum Resident

Either we have a live visual of both RHB & SOF or we don't. That's all i'm trying to figure out. I'm going ahead and buying it either way, i'd just like to know as to whether or not those songs are filled in with alternate footage instead of the performance visuals.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

It would be exclusive sync live footage of RB/SOF, which should be mentioned in the teaser. Instead we get newly seen LMF footage and some video of dirty hippes.

Film reels for the camera men are about 20 minutes, with 2-3 mins to change. BDM/BOT/WTMO fills one reel and LMF/End would fill another. No evidence RB/SOF in the middle of the set were captured.

11. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

There has not been a single one Isle of Wight 1970 DVD/Bluray release that has not used the method of taking a few seconds from a different song, or footage from the audience, or some slow-motion stuff, to fill the gaps in the film. Take a look at ELP's IOW dvd: The only song that was filmed in full was Rondo, rest of it was footage of hippies swimming while ELP's music is being played.

footlooseman and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Pats says it'll be there. So the footage is either going to be on there or sitting next the 2nd Fog reel.

13. Pats Radio

Actually I’m hoping a few seconds won’t be there so I can watch the rest of you b!tch like little kids. Much more fun. Just saying.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  14. Pats Radio

Well since Murray Lerner said 2 years ago and I quote “the film will present the doors’ performance in its entirety.” I’m guessing most of it will be there.

slp22 and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  15. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Whoa, cool down, dude. I wasn't even moaning about anything, just merely pointed a fact.

rnranimal likes this.
  16. Pats Radio

No worries more for the never ending whiners who are never happy no matter what the band puts out.

17. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I don't care whether it's complete or not. I just commented because you were being your usual rude self to someone just asking a question.

18. Pats Radio

By being rude to me. Brilliant.

19. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Oh wait, is it rude to bring up the 2nd Fog reel? Why is that?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Pats Radio

Thanks for admitting you’re a hypocrite. Swell. Merry Christmas!

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  21. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Still dodging the 2nd Fog reel questions anyway you can.

22. Pats Radio

Why on earth would I tell you anything?

23. Pats Radio

So you know exactly the timing? Got it. Thx. There’s no evidence they weren’t captured. Hmmmm Am I missing something? When I get the dvd in the next couple of weeks, I’ll be sure to report back here.

slp22 likes this.
  24. BrokenRecord

BrokenRecord Forum Resident

It may be more than just two songs that are incomplete footage-wise.

Historic Films, the archive that houses Murray Lerner's Isle of Wight footage and where The Doors licensed it for their upcoming release, does not list "Roadhouse Blues" in their available footage -- confirming what Lerner himself said years ago that they did not film the song. The archive also lists "Ship of Fools" as a partial recording only. They appear to have 4 minutes of the 7:30 song.

What's more, their "Light My Fire" footage is listed as only 7:41 while the complete live recording is close to 14 minutes.

This strongly suggests that none of these songs can be presented in complete video form in the upcoming release because the footage simply doesn't exist. The rest of the songs appear to be largely intact going by their running times. Since audio exists for the entire concert, they can easily edit around the missing footage using shots of the crowd and carefully-selected shots of the band on stage.

This may help explain why "Roadhouse Blues" was moved to the opening of the set. It was originally performed after "Ship of Fools." Lerner's crew probably ran out of film halfway through "Ship of Fools" then began filming again either before or during "Light My Fire."

None of this is a dealbreaker for me, but a heads up for those who may be dismayed when there's little footage of the band at the start of the film or if the camera suddenly cuts away from the stage in the middle of a song. Lerner wasn't there to film The Doors' entire set so we're lucky he captured as much as he did, especially without any decent stage lighting present. Another filmmaker might have opted not to film The Doors at all that night -- like D.A. Pennebaker during the Toronto Festival in 1969.

As it is, unless there are some hidden film reels slowly deteriorating in a barn somewhere, this is likely to be the last Doors concert we'll ever get to see in color with multi-tracked audio.

Here's a rundown of all the available Doors Isle of Wight footage from Historic Films with details and running times:

TOTAL RUNNING TIME: 52:21

01:00:05 POV FROM MOTORCYCLE SPEEDING DOWN THE ROAD
    01:00:13 CROWD OF TEENS AND YOUNG HIPPIES RUN THROUGH FIELD, SET UP OF STAGE, CROWD
    01:00:26 LONG HAIRED YOUTH ON MOTORCYCLE RIDING TOWARDS CAMERA
    01:00:36 PASSES PEDESTRIANS ON THE STREET ON THE ISLE OF WIGHT
    01:00:52 ROCK FESTIVAL GROUNDS - TENTS, HIPPIES, AUDIENCE, TICKET OFFICE, LONG HAIRED TEENS
    01:01:38 STAGE ANNOUNCEMENT AND INTRODUCTION TO THE DOORS
    01:01:52 THE DOORS - BACK DOOR MAN (live)
    01:06:07 SONG ENDS
    01:06:10 THE DOORS - BREAK ON THROUGH TO THE OTHER SIDE (live)
    01:10:53 SONG ENDS
    01:10:59 THE DOORS - WHEN THE MUSIC'S OVER (live)
    01:24:00 SONG ENDS
    01:24:01 THE DOORS - LIGHT MY FIRE (live)
    01:31:18 SONG ENDS
    01:31:42 THE DOORS - THE END (live)
    01:47:15 SONG ENDS BAND LEAVES STAGE TO WILDLY APPLAUDING AUDIENCE
    01:48:22 THE DOORS - SHIP OF FOOLS (live) PARTIAL SONG BUT FOOTAGE MAY EXIST
    01:52:21 FOOTAGE ENDS

Source: Historic Films Stock Footage Archive: Search - mlf-4

By way of comparison, the complete audio recording of The Doors' set (including stage announcement, cheering and tuning between songs) is close to 70 minutes.

25. slp22

slp22 Forum Resident

Until someone with an advance copy has seen this and reviews it, I won't be ruling anything out.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.