Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series Vol. XII "The Cutting Edge"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Abbey Road, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

This article argues for the 2CD set with some assorted downloads from the 6CD set. Food for thought:

Bob Dylan's The Cutting Edge: a fan's perfect playlist

2. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Oh, ****! Yes, of course; my apologies for continuing the long-accepted notion about the "bass" on "Baby Blue". Bill Lee is featured on bass on "Bringing It All Back Home" but probably not on "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue". I'm now going to follow my own recommendations and read everything Roger wrote yet again, hoping it sticks this time. :agree:

(I've also requested a new brain for Christmas. Fat chance!)

3. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

As if I needed a reason to revisit old Big Blue.

Lewisboogie and Percy Song like this.
  4. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

Thanks for the input all! I think I'll try my luck in the post-Christmas sales. This was my first favourite era of Bob's, Highway 61 is the album that got me into his music.

swedgin and Mr. D like this.
  5. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

How could I forgot about Sam? He played live with Dylan! Didn't know about Frank Owens.

Percy Song likes this.
  6. Percy Song

Without wishing to sound like a stuck record (or Roger Ford's agent...!) I highly recommend downloading and reading these PDFs on his newly relaunched website:-

The Cutting Edge, Collector's Edition

7. Percy Song

Bruce "Mr Tambourine Man" Langhorne

[​IMG]

#

Hep Alien and slane like this.
  8. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

anyone got scans of the 7" singles from this?

9. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Quite so.

10. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Just occurred to me listening to my Complete Mono vinyl box - would anyone have preferred this Cutting Edge set mixed to mono?

11. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

An interesting idea, but no. While I agree that a well-made mono mix can be a more pleasing listening experience than a "warts n' all", haphazard stereo one, when it comes to outtakes, alternative takes, and rehearsals such as we get with The Cutting Edge - it's better to expose all of the elements spread across a stereo sound-field.

I'd say the same thing about The Beach Boys Complete Smile Sessions too.

12. lee59

lee59 Member Envy

Not me

Jimmy B., Dave Hoos and Larry Geller like this.
  13. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

This makes sense.
    I suppose the reason I thought of it is, it seems they likely chose stereo for commerciability purposes in today's times. But, if the intent of those records was to be released in mono, then an argument could be made that releasing the box in mono would have made more sense from a historical perspective. I certainly see both sides and suppose stereo lends itself to a wider sonic view of the sessions, like you said. Just thoughts.

14. Percy Song

If Roger's essays and the notes in Big Blue are not enough for you then this might be worth buying in October:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/That-Thin-...kmr1&keywords=Darryl+Sanders+Blonde+on+Blonde

[​IMG]

There have been several pretty decent books that deal with Highway 61 Revisited. I think this is the first book to (apparently) concentrate solely on "Blonde on Blonde", and about time too.

"That Thin, Wild Mercury Sound is the definitive treatment of Bob Dylan's magnum opus, Blonde on Blonde, not only providing the most extensive account of the sessions that produced the trailblazing album, but also setting the record straight on much of the misinformation that has surrounded the story of how the masterpiece came to be made. Including many new details and eyewitness accounts never before published, as well as keen insight into the Nashville cats who helped Dylan reach rare artistic heights, it explores the lasting impact of rock's first double album. Based on exhaustive research and in-depth interviews with the producer, the session musicians, studio personnel, management personnel and others, Daryl Sanders chronicles the road that took Dylan from New York to Nashville in search of "that thin, wild mercury sound." As Dylan told Playboy in 1978, the closest he ever came to capturing that sound was in Studio A at Columbia's Music City headquarters during the Blonde on Blonde sessions, where the voice of a generation was backed by musicians of the highest order."

Daryl wrote an article called "Blonde Ambition" quite a few years ago here:-

Looking back on Bob Dylan's Blonde on Blonde, the record that changed Nashville

#

15. Richard--W

I'll no doubt buy the book and then never read it.

He looked really strange for 1966 compared to most men. The album photo must have really freaked out the Greenwich Village crowd, to see how much their folkie had changed.

16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Does any print exist suitable for framing of that Blonde On Blonde photo on the front of that book?

Always wanted one to frame.

tstrapac likes this.
  17. Toddarino

Toddarino Total Hunk

Really late to the party. I purchased the six disc on release day since funds were just too tight for the full set. I’ve regretted it ever since.
    Today I finally got my hands on big blue and my CD player goes to hell. I guess I’ve waited this long, might as well wait another day.

18. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

That’s what happened when I put all 18 discs into my player too. ;) ;)
    In all seriousness, hope you get to enjoy it soon!

NumberEight and Dave Hoos like this.
  19. Richard--W

No.

20. Richard--W

Which film strip did you get? I mean, what part of the movie?

21. Toddarino

Toddarino Total Hunk

In the studio. Headshots of Bob wearing the harmonica.
    I’ve also been in contact with searchingforagem.com because my certificate says manufacturers proof.

Richard--W likes this.
  22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

My film strip was of the disclaimer at the end of the film:

" All characters in this film are fictional. Any resemblance to any person, living or dead, is purely coincidental."

23. When The Cutting Edge was released I bought the 2-disc set and a week later the 6-disc deluxe, which I still haven't opened. I don't know, I kept saying to myself I would open it when the time was right but as of yet I just haven't felt compelled to dive in. The 2-disc became definitive for me.

I will get to the 6-disc at some point but I just seem overwhelmed by it all, yet Trouble No More 6-disc was the easiest thing in the world for me to wrap my head around and it's blown my mind.

Has anyone who purchased Big Blue reached a point where they've said enough is enough? Of course I would love to own it but if I've not even gotten to grips with the 6-disc, then it would probably just sit on a shelf forever. Not to mention the extra download tracks. I mean there's only so many hours in a day.

How much Dylan is enough Dylan? Or is that a very stupid question?

Sean Murdock likes this.
  24. George P

George P Notable Member

More is enough.