Paul McCartney Archive Collection - 'Forthcoming Releases' [TBC]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thrillington, Mar 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

They lost me. The first one I didn’t buy:cheers:

OobuJoobu and Jerry Horne like this.
  2. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Another interesting aspect to a potential FP Deluxe is whether they would physically or otherwise include only B sides that were related to that era. I mean, FITD didn't include Same Time Next Year or Mama's Little Girl as downloads but they were the 'B'sides of Put it There.

Mr. Explorer, FKA002 and OobuJoobu like this.
  3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I prefer that songs appear as bonus tracks on chronologically appropriate albums. In other words, I would prefer that Mama's Little Girl should go on a Wild Life Archive set. Same Time Next Year should be added to Back To The Egg. And so on.

That's why I dislike having a 1979 live version of "Maybe I'm Amazed" on the McCartney Archive set. Still, I understand why they do these things.

Plus, sometimes, there are songs that were initially recorded during one era and then received overdubs decades later. So what to do then?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    jmxw, supermd, Mr. Explorer and 3 others like this.
  4. Skywheel

Skywheel Forum Resident

How, exactly, would you define a "chronically appropriate album".:o:o

Mr. Explorer and Arnold Grove like this.
  5. Arnold Grove

Ooops. :hide:

I fixed that up. Thanks.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  6. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar Thread Starter

From the last ‘You Gave Me The Answer’ of 2017:

“We asked Paul, “What would you like to achieve in 2018?”

Paul: “I’ll probably be putting out a new album. So, I’d like that to be something I really love and then hopefully the fans will love it too! We’re putting the finishing touches to it now and at the beginning of next year. So, I would like to achieve making that a really great album. Fingers crossed! That’s not what it’s called, but fingers crossed! [Pauses] It could be… it COULD be the new album title!”

And on that cliffhanger…. we’ll leave it there until 2018!”

So, hopefully the new album comes out in the first half of the year, and we can get a pair of Archive sets afterwards. Or if the album is delayed again, perhaps they’ll slip some out in March as with Flowers?

7. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Ahh, but did you get Biker promo cd, with the otherwise unavailable track? That’s what you really need!
    [​IMG]

Paul H, Mr. Explorer and Yorick like this.
  8. Frank

Frank Senior Member

"probably"

9. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Always good to have you keep us in check there, Frank. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  10. C_Jepson

C_Jepson Forum Resident

Do anything, so long as it doesn't include downloads

11. Oyster Boy

Judging by the price of these on Discogs my OTG will remain the Incomplete Works!

12. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

It's worth having a notification on eBay for these coming up for sale, doesn't happen often but I picked one up not long ago for just a few quid.

13. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Agreed. I’ve had mine for several years now, but it wasn’t THAT unreasonable.
    Another rare cd is this one. Granted it’s just another version of Hey Jude (from the Montserrat concert), but I think it doesn’t come up very often for us completists here.

I got one a couple months ago for $25 and there’s another up in that range now. Took me a long time to get this one:
    [​IMG]
    I believe it came packaged with the VHS (!) tape of that concert in the UK.

14. Oyster Boy

Good idea, just set it up.

OobuJoobu likes this.
  15. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

That's correct. I ordered the set knowing that the VHS tape was PAL format that I couldn't watch, but wanted it for the CD anyway.:)

mrjinks likes this.
  16. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

Yes the promo cd is what I bought. It’s the only way to get all those unplugged tracks.

mrjinks likes this.
  17. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Yes, definitely.
    I think in the case of McCartney, they just didn't have a lot of material for the bonus disc, so they had to scrape around a bit. Most of the Archive sets have been better in terms of using contemporary material.
    Sure, like "A Love For You" on Ram -- we didn't get the REALLY re-worked version from 2002 (on The In Laws soundtrack), but they version they used still had 1986 overdubs on it. I would have preferred an original rough mix from 1971, unless it was SO unfinished they deemed it unusable. There's a whole bunch of outtakes that have "Cold Cuts" overdubs on them too -- I'm guessing those will be used as-is (if the other albums ever get "the treatment").

18. Sean Murdock

That "probably" jumped out at me as well. "Definitely" would have been much more reassuring... :agree:

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  19. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I am not so certain about lack of outtakes from McCartney session. As we’ve heard before, there is the Take 1 of Every Night & Chris Thomas mix of Maybe I’m Amazed that we’re supposed to be included on the leaked rarities box set.

I love the 1971 session mix of A Love For You, wish they’d also included that in the Ram box. It has much more pronounced guitar and more vintage sounding drums compared to the 1986 mix.

20. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Fingers crossed that the new album comes out in Spring so that Archive series can continue in early Fall (without conflicting with expected 50th anniversary reissue of White Album).

21. Sean Murdock

Right -- I wonder if they held back some good stuff from the Macca I box for the supposed "rarities box" that (so far) hasn't happened. I wonder how many outtakes Paul really kept since he was paying for the tape himself. Might have been a lot of rewinding and re-recording. But the two tracks you named I'd really like to hear too.
    :agree:

supermd and Mr. Explorer like this.
  22. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

Fingers crossed that won't be the title of it

SixOClockBoos and Mr. Explorer like this.
  23. Arnold Grove

Don't worry; it will be called Finger Pie. ;)

24. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

Sounds fishy to me! :hide:

Mr. Explorer and Wiserforthetime like this.
  25. Arnold Grove

Sounds or Smells? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.