Disney buys some assets of 21st Century Fox?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Nov 6, 2017.

1. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan That's like your opinion, man!

No, but Disney will be leasing portions of the lot for 7 years. I've worked on this lot for the last 20yrs. The "New FOX" as it's being called will conduct business as usual, and 20th Century FOX will be under Disney control producing content. That is the new buzz word/phrase - "content." The New FOX will be in the live broadcast entertainment business, while the Disney side will be producing content to stream - ala NETFLIX.

Vidiot likes this.
  2. Pete Sorbi

Pete Sorbi Well-Known Member

I want an Idiocracy 2 - though we are sort of living in it...

sunspot42 likes this.
  3. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I think Marvel would have to start X-Men over again if they want to integrate it into the MCU. Not that the series has been especially (or at all) concerned with continuity, but in the X-Men movies it has seemed pretty clear that the only super-powered people around are the mutants.... as far as I remember there aren't any references to other costumed superheroes flying around doing extraordinary things. They had to reboot Spider-Man again (in part) for the same reason. And they need a new Wolverine anyway.

I'm not sure how the comic books resolve the contradiction of the world fearing superpowered people in one series and admiring them in all the others, but I think the movies would require some reconciliation on that point.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  4. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

The same way they resolved the contradiction of Prof X's death in X3 with his appearance in Days of Future's Past...by not mentioning it all and assuming audiences would just shrug the inconsistencies off.

Jim B. likes this.
  5. perplexed

perplexed Forum Resident

[​IMG]

mBen989, Smokin Chains and sunspot42 like this.
  6. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

It will be interesting to see if Disney can be self-depracating and allow the Simpsons to make fun of their new Disney Overlords while they are still on the air. They have poked fun at Disney over the years, as well as the owner of Fox, Rupert Murdoch.

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I don't think they care as long as they're making a huge amount of money.

lbangs, longdist01 and Deuce66 like this.
  8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

It's a business after all, political leanings or tendencies be damned, if a right leaning organization can make billions with movies that are core opposite to their "beliefs" they will do it every time.

9. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

Absolutely. That’s one thing I can actually give praise to the studios for. Studios don’t usually let their own political leanings get in the way of a film that could be successful.

10. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Really? Check them Sony leaks...

PhantomStranger likes this.
  11. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I know, right.

People are coming up with all these ideas how it will work but just have them appear. I don't think its a big issue.

12. Deuce66

This transaction will make life even more difficult for small independent movie theatres operating in low population areas....

Someone asked about the new Star Wars movie and this was the reply from one owner in rural Canada, sometimes the industry shoots itself and others with their inane policies.

Hi there,

I plan to get it but Star Wars is Disney and they are the only film company that it takes at least 6 to 8 weeks from release date before they will allow a small theatre to play their films for only one week. There are many many things about booking films that the public does not know. I can not just show any film I want whenever I want to. it does not work that way. And Disney is the biggest problem for small theatres.

If I wanted to play any Disney film when it first came out I would have to agree to play it for 4 weeks and after the fist 4 weeks are up they will usually allow theatres to play their films for a minimum of two weeks and 2 to 3 weeks after that they start to consider 1-week runs.

So the absolute earliest they MIGHT let me play Star Wars is Jan 26, BUT it also might not be until early February. Disney is the only Distributor that I cant get most films within 3 weeks of release. So I am sorry but I will not be getting it before then.

so I can't tell you when I will get it but I do plan to get it whenever Disney finally says I can have it, [​IMG]

13. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

I think it's a pretty safe bet that the Fantastic Four will be in the Avengers movie after Infinity War (which allegedly might be a 2 part series - Thanos beats the crap out of everyone in Infinity War and the good guys prevail in the sequel). If this is the case, I would like some character to ask where the heck were they the last few times NYC (their home base) was under attack. Perhaps they'll explain that it's hard to wake then during nap time?

14. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

LOL

Here is one I came across:

[​IMG]

JRB, sunspot42 and perplexed like this.
  15. Deuce66

July 10 might be the day.

Disney, Fox Set July 10 Shareholder Votes on $52.4B Deal

But Fox says it "may postpone or adjourn" its shareholder meeting in Manhattan in case Comcast goes ahead with a competing offer or the like.
    Walt Disney and 21st Century Fox on Wednesday set July 10 shareholder votes in New York for their $52.4 billion deal, in which Disney would acquire large parts of Fox, including the 20th Century Fox studio, Fox's entertainment cable networks and its international assets, including its stake in Sky.

But cable giant Comcast's May 23 statement that, after being rejected in its attempt to buy the Murdoch family-led Fox in late 2017, it was preparing a "superior" all-cash bid for the same parts of Fox, rather than the all-stock deal that Disney struck, could affect that date.

Fox said Wednesday it was "aware of the press release" from Comcast, adding: "Under the Disney merger agreement, if any event occurs that 21st Century Fox determines, after consultation with outside legal counsel, is reasonably likely to require under applicable law the filing or mailing of any supplemental or amended disclosure, 21st Century Fox may postpone or adjourn the special meeting of its stockholders to allow reasonable additional time for the filing, mailing, dissemination and review by its stockholders of any such disclosure prior to the special meeting."

Disney's special shareholder meeting on the deal Wednesday was set for 10 a.m. ET on July 10 at the New Amsterdam Theatre in midtown Manhattan. Fox's meeting was set for the same time at the nearby New York Hilton Midtown.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  16. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Is there any chance Disney could sell it back?

People have forgotten about the disaster that was the AOL/Time Warner merger.

17. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I'm glad that Disney is buying 21st Century Fox because it will join the first Star Wars movie with the rest (which may lead to an original trilogy release). They will also have the last Chronicles Of Narnia & may lead to a continuation as well.

Bowie Fett likes this.
  18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I was under the impression that the studio lot was not a part of the deal at all. Unless they mean the Fox studio name, with no real estate.

19. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Disney clearly stated they wouldn't own any Fox stations, right?

20. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

21. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Then why does the THR article say, and I quote, " Disney would acquire large parts of Fox, including the 20th Century Fox studio, Fox's entertainment cable networks and its international assets, including its stake in Sky."?

22. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Because that's what it would acquire. But it would not acquire the local (network) TV stations that Fox owns.

Vahan likes this.
  23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Because the article is incorrrect.

24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

No, it isn't. Disney is getting Fox's cable channels. Fox will still own the networks that it owns as well as the Fox Broadcasting Channel (the one that launched in 1986).

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No, the Murdoch family will continue to own the real estate and the TV stations and Fox News. I think Disney is mainly out to get the film library and the IP (like the few remaining Marvel characters and Star Wars). My take is that Comcast does not really have the money to pull off this deal, and Disney will crush them in a bidding war.

Comcast’s Offer for Fox Could Spur an Intense Bidding War

sunspot42 and longdist01 like this.