Star Wars: Who are Rey's parents?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jason Manley, Nov 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I'm not sure what your point is. The quote doesn't relate to your comments.

You said Vader killed Luke's mother (Padame). He didn't. She was still alive when she gave birth. The robot says there is nothing wrong with her. She gives up, which is a pretty pathetic thing to do when you have just got two kids to raise. Bad writing maybe but Vader didn't kill her.

2. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

This is my guess as well.
    [​IMG]

Lownote30 likes this.
  3. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

I
    The quote I shared relates to my comments because if Leia truly knew all along that she was Luke’s sister she wouldn’t have kissed him to make Han jealous. I am using these two scenes of The Star Wars Trilogy to invalidate Lucas’s opinions. Vader may not have physically killed her but his actions “broke her heart”.

And blaming everything on the dark side is a load of crap. If it is the dark side we would need to believe that Luke can withstand not only Vader, but the Emperor too, when Vader was born of the force but was turned by only the senator. Which brings up the “there are only two” crap. How does that work? “Vader, help me turn your son to the dark side and then we can kill you, or me.”

There are too many instances where stuff was made up on the go and does not jive with other movies in the series.

4. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

The rule of 2 was adopted by the Sith as they were defeated by the Jedi in the Jedi-Sith wars (before the founding of the Republic.)

But in the expanded 'legends' material there are a lot of 'dark side' users who are not full-fledged Sith, even before the plan to eliminate the Jedi was implemented.

I assume that once the Jedi were presumed destroyed, they didn't have to worry about maintaining the rule of 2, and could groom any force users they found to be Sith, just as the Jedi did under the Republic.

5. bluenote

bluenote Forum Resident

This is actually a pretty good read:

http://www.retrozap.com/padme-didnt-die-of-a-broken-heart/

Basically, it says that Palpatine killed Padme through the use of the Force. It says that he pulled the living force from her to put into Anakin, so that he would live.

It really makes sense, how else would Palpatine know that Padme died (and, at the exact same moment that Anakin is transformed into Vader)?

6. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

That is interesting.

7. ianuaditis

That is interesting. I always assumed he just told Vader that because he wanted to bind him further to the Dark Side. It didn't matter if it was true or not - the power of the Force was basically all in his hands at the moment, even Jedi Masters couldn't use it for clairvoyance, so Vader would have seen and believed whatever Palpatine told him. And last he saw her he had choked her with the force, so it would ring true to him anyway.

I think it was definitely an interesting take I can't refute, but I don't know that it follows that just because he knew she was dead, therefore he must have killed her. How often does a jedi sense a 'disturbance in the force' without having also caused said disturbance?

8. bluenote

bluenote Forum Resident

The thing is, the Emperor had to make sure that Padme died, because if she lived that would risk losing Vader to the light side. So it would make sense that the Emperor killed her.

ianuaditis likes this.
  9. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

Okay, so Luke’s father tortured his sister and cut Luke’s hand off. Also killed his friend Ben and tortured his friend Han. What did Luke supposedly do to make him the worst father in all of moviedom?

10. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

One of the criticisms of The Force Awakens is that Han just happens to show up in the right place at the right time to pick up Rey and Po. What if it wasn’t a coincidence? What if Han was tracking Rey?

11. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Who is Guido?

12. ianuaditis

Guido's Tower
    (?)
    I presumed he meant greedo, but there must have been a guido for him to have had a tower.

13. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

I'm going to throw a curveball on Fin and say his parents are Leia and Lando. It was established in TFA that Han was always leaving. A princess can get lonely, and Lando was putting the moves on Leia in ESB. He sort of saved the day in ROTJ, making up for his mistakes in ESB.

In TFA, Fin saves Rey, learns how to use the guns on the Falcon rather quickly, and is pretty good with Luke's lightsaber. I'd say the Force is with him. Plus, he's Vader in Bizzaro world, turning from bad to good.

14. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I can't see that given how he looks, his parents would both have to be black. He says he was taken as a baby I think, and I think Leia would be more careful with a newborn than to let him get taken by the Empire or whoever.

I think he's just a normal dude. He doesn't have to be someone. In fact I find it annoying how everybody has to be somebody.

LEONPROFF likes this.
  15. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

LOL. Do you know who you sound like:

"All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?"

The point you are still missing is that Vader did all that after he had been seduced by the Emperor and turned to the dark side. He was just acting the way he was supposed to.

If 'still light side' Luke had a kid then dumped it on some hostile planet where she was forced to scavenge for scrap just to survive, where she could have died, been raped or killed, sold in slavery or whatever, and he just forgot about her while he strolled around his island feeling sorry for himself then yes, he is the worst father in moviedom. And don't give me any crap about 'he was protecting her' - bulls**t. He could have taken her to his island with him, after all no-one found him and it's not like she needs to be hidden. The galaxy is huge, they could have easily just vanished ("Brody's got friends in every town and village from here to the Sudan, he speaks a dozen languages, knows every local custom, he'll blend in, disappear, you'll never see him again).

And don't give me any nonsense that it was a test for her to find him. That would be the silliest thing. 'I'm going to play a game to test you by not seeing you for 10 years and subjecting you to possible death, rape, slavery and starvation'.

16. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

Oh, the force made me do it, gotchya.

17. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

If Luke is the father, there's probably a lot more to the story than Luke dropping her off. She may have been abducted. In a clip from The Last Jedi, we see Luke's hand sticking up from beneath a pile of rubble. This may have been when Rey was taken. We just don't know at this point.

18. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

If someone kidnapped Luke's daughter, I doubt they'd just abandon her on a desert planet in the care of some random junk dealer.

I agree that she's probably of some significant lineage, but I think she was left where she was, in order to keep her hidden from someone, in much the same way Luke was left on Tatooine*.

(*Yes, I know, the idea of "hiding him from his father, Darth Vader" was a later invention.)

19. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Whether or not she was kidnapped, she was left behind on the planet by somebody. We see it in her vision in The Force Awakens. An abductor leaving her behind on Jakku is as plausible as any other scenario given the limited information that we have.

20. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Does anyone think the answer we are given in The Last Jedi is actually true?

21. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I said on the old "TFA" thread that she looked like the love-child of Keira Knightley and Natalie Portman!

22. Matt Starr

Matt Starr Forum Troglodyte

This is merely a hunch but, I don't think it's true. I believe there's more to the story.

mrjinks, David Campbell and Jim B. like this.
  23. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

The thing is that Disney could change it and just say she was being manipulated, so I don't know if we are any wiser, unless Disney come out and say categorically that that is now 'canon'.

Matt Starr likes this.
  24. Matt Starr

Matt Starr Forum Troglodyte

That's exactly what I was thinking. They'll just say she was being manipulated if it serves the continuation of the story however Abrams conceives of it.

Jim B. likes this.
  25. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Would revealing that Rey’s parents weren’t “nobody” but somebody important destroy the message that that revelation was apparently intended to convey, that you don’t have to be part of a particular bloodline to be somebody important, that it is the choices one makes and not one’s bloodline that determines their importance? Can that message still stand if Rey is a Skywalker or a Kenobi?

wayneklein likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.