Amazon Music Ending Support For Uploaded Files

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sunspot42, Dec 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

I used Google Play Music when it first came out with the 7.99 offer and it simply matched my music...though, it doesn't have everything because it would break. I haven't seen a service that moved the music from the hard drive to the cloud unless you explicitly tell it to ( like Google Drive).

Amazon Music uses matching:

"Music that is matched to Amazon's catalog by Amazon Music for PC and Mac is delivered as a high-quality 256 Kbps MP3. This feature may not be available for all music in our catalog, as eligibility may be limited.

Music that is not eligible for matching includes:

• Songs for which we don't have rights to provide this feature
    • Songs that are not in Amazon's catalog
    • Songs with file formats that are not supported
    In some cases, this may cause only part of an album's song list to be matched and delivered to My Music. Songs or albums not currently eligible for matching (with a supported file format) will be uploaded instead.
    Note: Matched music is delivered as a 256 Kbps variable bitrate MP3 regardless of whether the original audio quality is higher or lower than 256 Kbps."

Amazon.com Help: About Matched Music

Amazon also has cloud storage, but that is not what I am referring to, but I don't know about the OP.

Gaslight likes this.
  2. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Agreed and why I mentioned that I had a cloud storage subscription at the time - might treat files differently versus a matching-type service.

For what it's worth, MS's OneDrive doesn't match at all. And their Groove Music application is able to utilize that storage area for streaming - of course with MS's retirement of its own subscription music service at the EO this year, who knows what the future of their Groove Music app will be.

sunspot42 likes this.
  3. Ric-Tic

Ric-Tic Forum Resident

Lol! I agree and you are right. I should have hedged my statement a little bit better and added something in the line of "if you could stand Google's evil". :)

4. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Found this today about the service EOL: Amazon.com Help: About Amazon Music Subscriptions

It sounds like if you have, and retain, a paid subscription then the upload option will still be available. But once you let the paid subscription expire then there's no way to renew. I don't see a January 2019 overall end date listed although if new subscriptions are gone as of Jan 2018, I guess it is possible that Amazon could kill the renewals completely, it's just not listed in that link (yet).

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    uofmtiger likes this.
  5. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I have found that some people can be extremely condescending.

dalem5467 and showtaper like this.
  6. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

Goes without saying. :laugh:

Nice find. According to that article, as long as I pay, they will drag me along even though they won't be offering it to anyone not already subscribed.:righton:

7. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident Thread Starter

They don't let you upload nearly as large a library. I wasn't terribly interested, because with my existing Amazon Prime membership, Amazon Music was cheap and offered a lot of free tracks and the maximum library size was even larger than I'd ever need. Also, Amazon provided immediate access to CD's I'd purchased from Amazon, which amounted to dozens of discs.

8. sunspot42

I've found some people have worked hard to earn condescension. Why deny them their reward?

9. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Yes. What was formerly only available as iTunes Match became integrated with Apple Music, and works the same way. If it doesn’t find a match in their catalogue it uploads the file. These all reside seamlessly side-by-side with the Apple Music tracks you add to your library.

sunspot42 likes this.
  10. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Lossy is as lossy does. Good riddance.

billnunan likes this.
  11. Ric-Tic

Ric-Tic Forum Resident

Oh, I see. I guess it boils down to using a streaming solution that hopefully has all your music, or to become more technical and implementing your own cloud solution then?

12. sunspot42

Looks that way.

Ric-Tic likes this.
  13. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

"All of their CDs would be ash and they'd have nothing"
    No, your home insurance would cover them if you have any decent policy at all.

14. sunspot42

Good luck getting insurance to cover any particularly rare CDs. Also, have fun trying to hunt down a large collection - many if not most of the CDs I own are out of print. If you can find stuff used, it often isn't in good condition. Also, a huge, huge investment of time - which your insurance company will not reimburse you for.

shaboo likes this.
  15. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

This ^^

I’ve spent nearly 30 years amassing a CD collection. No way I could replace all those mastering/titles, even with plenty of money and time. Which is why I ripped them all, and back them up both on and off-site. Maybe one day I’ll send it up to Amazon Glacier. Until them, I can stream when away from home via Plex Server, and/or use Apple Music to listen to stuff I already have or (more typically) stuff I’ll probably never buy.

shaboo, Arnold_Layne and sunspot42 like this.
  16. sunspot42

Yes, offsite backup is crucial. Having a local copy is great, but if your house burns down, it goes along with the primary and the CDs...

17. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Knock wood, but if that happens we’d have bigger worries than our music collections.

Arnold_Layne likes this.
  18. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

Agree agree AGREE! My CD's have been with me for decades and my records even longer than my CD's. No worries on whether some faceless company is going to take my music away whenever they see fit.

How anyone would agree to allow these companies to control what you listen to is just beyond me.

19. sunspot42

How, exactly, are they "controlling" it? Do you think when you upload to Amazon or Apple that your CDs and records magically disintegrate?

20. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

Seen WAY too may posts here where people are duped into selling off their CD's after ripping their music and uploading it to the "cloud". Once that happens all bets are off my friend. I on the other hand will never have this issue as I would never sell of my physical media.

jay.dee and libertycaps like this.
  21. sunspot42

I have never seen a post where someone has sold off all of their CD's after uploading them somewhere. Do you have links to any of these posts? And has anybody here indicated they've done something that stupid?

Also, even in the case of Amazon here, the service hasn't suddenly vanished without notice - you'd have at least a year to download your library before it became inaccessible, assuming you'd done something so stupid in the first place.

shaboo likes this.
  22. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Oh the irony. These same people are also complaining about the loss of local record stores. Oh the irony.

"If amazon/google/Monsanto/etc. takes my cloud away, the same thing will happen to you when your house burns down!!" Sorry. That's just really mental.

broshfab4 likes this.
  23. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

That's why I buy music instead of streaming (renting) it.

24. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Or use a media server like JRiver. It's part of their system that allows you to stream your content anywhere, including any playlists you created in JRMC. Hopefully you have unlimited data because even at middling quality levels it eats up data. But it is possible. The problem with any streaming model, whether it be cloud based or personal server based, is how big your data allowance is. Which is why my phone has a 200gb micro sd card ($50 from Amazon). All of my content is local, mostly FLAC, and immune to data caps and wifi coverage.

25. dee

dee Senior Member

Mazzy, you really need more music ;);) :)

Jerjo and Mazzy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.