Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Makes me very sad to see things like this being sold. At least the HRV legacy will stand the test of time with the fans.

Jerry Horne, Runicen, anth67 and 2 others like this.
  2. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

These are fun to make, finally got around to it a few weeks back. But I can't imagine selling them...lame. For "Behold the Temple of Light," I had to pull a Floydian maneuver and loop the same edit (just before the start of "Narrow Way part 3" on UmmaGumma) three times to give it sufficient length to represent the piece. For "Doing It," I shrunk one of the "Grand Vizier" pieces, editing out the middle to join two sections. Can't remember which version of "Quicksilver" ("Sleep") I used.....I think the new one from EY.

"Pink Jungle" and "Labyrinths" of course guest-starring Syd Barrett :)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    squittolo and Outside The Wall like this.
  3. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

Hi there,

Latecomer here - realized I don't have Piper in Mono on CD (and I now want it). With the Early Years box on the way, do I need the 3rd CD from the 2011 release, or are the extra tracks from that book/box included in the Early Years box?

4. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

Nope. The 3-CD release is essential (for both the mono LP and the bonus tracks).

zobalob likes this.
  5. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

Thanks, was afraid you'd say that. :laugh: I had that one in my hands at a Barnes& Noble when it was released, on sale and with a 20% coupon. Opted to pass for some dumb reason. :realmad:

6. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

Incredible revelation. Why would these session not have been released on the Early Years?

7. PyroMessiah

PyroMessiah Forum Resident

8. WonkyWilly

My guess is that they didn't even listen/reference it since the main version was already remixed by Gilmour for that Syd comp and it was "good enough". This appears to have been thier thought process throughout.

9. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The mastering of the mono mix is a bit rough, anyway.

10. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is different about this 'Syd' version of Jugband Blues?

11. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Reportedly the brass band performed a very different arrangement for the song, which is (still) unheard in the public.

marmalade166 likes this.
  12. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Apologies in advance: Are the defective discs for 'Obfusc/ation' Blu-ray and 'Continu/ation' Blu-ray 1 only applicable to US copies? Mine is from the UK. I tried both of these discs and they appear OK?

A quick summary of the defects would be much appreciated. And as my contribution, the email address to contact for replacement discs is [email protected]

13. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

From the 3CD? What do you find rough about it? I think it's quite good. Now the '97 mono, that was downright terrible.

14. WonkyWilly

The only thing I find wrong is that it's mastered in stereo with a stereo head. Sounds even better when you correct it to mono.

rnranimal likes this.
  15. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Yeah, that's the only issue I had with it as well. I just chose the channel I thought sounded best (can't remember which).

16. anth67

Amen.

hi_watt likes this.
  17. DeadParrot

DeadParrot Forum Resident

I still sometimes wish Roger would get the Rickenbacker out from time to time, as I love the sound he used to get from it. Not that I don't love his playing on the p-bass of course.

anth67 and hi_watt like this.
  18. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

That's dumb.

The seller seems to be based in Spain and has been selling homemade CD-R bootlegs since 2009.

Outside The Wall likes this.
  19. anth67

Though I wouldn't have traded the Animals segment for anything (!), would've been fun for Waters to also acknowledge the 50th anniversary of Piper last year with a "Take Up Thy Stethoscope" encore :p

Not that he would even in a hundred parallel Earths.

JulesRules and Big Pasi like this.
  20. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

What is the Gnome tree in Hyde Park?

21. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

I agree with you but you've forgotten one of the other major attractions of the Tull sets: the 5.1 mixes.

Jimijam likes this.
  22. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

So, if you’re like me and found the absence of subtitles (that is, English subtitles) on More and La Vallée on Continu/ation hugely annoying, you might benefit from this: subtitle files for both films

I managed to make this work by ripping the Blu-Ray with Make MKV, copying the m2ts file for each film to its own directory then adding the SRT files to the directory and making the names of the m2ts and SRT files the same. I’m not sure all of that is necessary but it wouldn’t work for me when I copied the files into the existing Stream directory containing all the m2ts files for the Blu-Ray. I had to copy the two m2ts files to their own directory and play those individually, not play the entire ripped Blu-Ray.

The subtitles are not commercial standard - there are missing punctuation and capital letters here and there - but it is so awesome that someone did these. For English speakers at least, La Vallée now makes some sense.

It also means that, having done this and the fixing up of the out of phase issue with the ‘67 live recording, the set is a little less flawed.

23. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

On the inside cover of Ummagumma Gilmour appears photographed in front of a tree with little
    Gnomes carved into it. The tree is still there but it has a wire fence around it to prevent vandalism. We used to walk around the park and shoot pictures of random stuff when we happened upon that tree. My hair was long at the time and we thought we’d recreate the picture. I’ve never seen the developed print if indeed it does exist. :(

Flaming Torch and bobcat like this.
  24. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

I have a question about this:

if you rip the quad tracks and play it as a flac file, are you still able to listen to "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast" with the missing ending in quad?

25. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

"....the out of phase issue with the ‘67 live recording...."

What is this about?